Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

I have Magical Butter machine questions.

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by StrongDosage, Apr 24, 2015.

1. #1 StrongDosage, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2015
    Hi, hello!
    First, thank you so much for taking time to read this and *attempt* to help my struggle!

I suffer from IBS; chronic nausea and stomach pain, and loss of appetite are my biggest problems with it. Flare ups so bad that I can't get out of bed some days.
    SO now that my sob story is out of the way; I have found the wonderful soothing properties of Marijuana, and couldn't be happier.
    Now, I've made butter on the stove in a pot, in a skillet on the stove, and in a crock pot. The first batch was a bust, but that was my own fault (Too high of temps, luckily it was only 7g). The second was meh, but did help medically; everyone else that consumed them gave me raving reviews on how awesome they were, which I was completely mind boggled at. The crock pot batch that I slow cooked for 18 hours; after decarbing the weed for 20 minutes @ 220. 1 oz of amazing bud. (I grinded the buds then decarbed). The crock pot butter is definitely much better than the other two batches I made. A very nice head change, and also my nausea completely subsided and about two hours after the cookie kicked in I was actually having the urge to eat. (AMAZING) However, I eat this for recreation as well, and really do have a high tolerance (I've heard that your smoke tolerance really doesn't have any factor in edibles; however, I'm a noob and have heard so many different things that I take it all with a grain of salt).
    My butter to 1 oz ratio was: 1 oz bud: 3 1/2 sticks unsalted Land O' Lakes butter.

After all the back story I will now get to my questions;
    While I was spending endless hours comparing oil to butter, comparing oil/butter recipes, comparing decarb methods and temperatures, one things always held true: people loved this device called the Magical Butter Machine. Naturally, I checked the machine out, and fell in love.
    However, after doing further research I began to have questions about it all.
    I get that it's essentially the same as doing it on the stove or in a Crockpot; I like the security of the temperature settings, I don't want to over heat, and I'm willing to spend $175 for that and the self cleaning option alone; I'm lazy haha. I also really like that I don't have to hover over it and stir.
    So here's my first question;
    The butter settings come for two hours or four hours.
    In my experience, my 18 hour butter was the best. Do I continuously set the machine for longer time? As in, it finishes one cycle of 2 hours and then I restart it for another two? Or can I do 4 hours at a time, and keep resetting? 
    That brings me to my next question:
    How long do I cook the butter in this machine? I've seen numerous suggestions:
    6 hours, 8 hours, 12 hours. 
    Also, about decarbing.
    I've read debates upon debates about it.
    I feel I would still need to decarb the buds before I put into the machine.
    Dry heat is way different than liquid heat.
    Any takes on that? 
    Reducing the time and temp because the Magical Butter machine supposedly has a decarb method already in place? I don't want to decarb before hand then burn thc because the machine decarbs it a LITTLE further. I'm really confused in that area.
    Sorry for the long explanations, and I'm sure the repetitive questions. I've just searched the internet for weeks and keep getting mixed signals. I really would prefer responses from people who have had experience with the machine, but I will take ANY advice I can get.
    I almost forgot! (Too many crockpot cookies, haha [​IMG])
    Final question:
    What temp do you use it on? If you would also include the amount of time you let it cook along with the temp I would very much appreciate it. :)
    Thank you again in advance! 

2. Do what the button says, use coconut oil for best results (subs for butter) but it's only 1 hour for oil, or 2 hours for butter that's it
    Also use it at 160 temp

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Hey, I own and sell the Magical Butter machine, and it's one of my favorite purchases ever. The newer ones work great without decarbing first. It heats it up great and only takes 2 hours to get a nice batch. With the 2 hour time set, the temp to use is 160F and works really well. You're supposed to use unsalted butter but I've used salted and it works in a pinch, but the unsalted is definitely better!

4. Awesomesauce. Thank you. :)

5. #5 StrongDosage, May 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2015
    Now, can I still decarb? I've heard so many mixed reviews about decarbing with the mb2. I decarb* at 220 for 20 minutes in a pyrex dish with aluminum foil over it. The only reason I do it this way is because I've heard nothing but great reviews about Bad Kitty decarb methods. I've always used unsalted; however, I made a bath of coconut cannaoil and it was beast. I don't think I'll ever got back to butter unless I have something that I really need butter for. 
    Thank you so much for your input. :)

6. I would recommend against decarbing first before using the Mb2. But i've made with decarbing and then making butter (not with the mb) and I've made it without decarbing and using the MB, and I prefer the Magic Butter. I get the same or sometimes better quality, and it's easier to use/clean up.

7. Is there any evidence for longer cooking times using the Magical Butter for higher extraction?

8. Hey, I hate to revive this thread from the dead, but StrongDosag did you every come to a conclusion on your questions? I am trying to decide on decarbing first (I have a Nova decarboxylator) and doing my usual 160 @ 2 hours. My previous two batches have been great, but now I am thinking they could be even better reading about these slow and low MBM cooks.

I am currently considering running 160/4 hrs then freezing and running it for 4 again. 2 other recipes call for 160/8hrs for 3 days. I believe I should decarboxylate. The Nova supposedly converts everything to near 100% thc and no cbd, but Im worried, as you were if coming in decarbed will cause the slow cook to eventually turn most of the oil to cbds?

9. Always decarb FIRST for edibles as once submerged in oil it doesn't decarb for shit. and the super long cooking time to try and decarb post blending just degrades the THC to CBN=Sleeper time
    Decarb is always 240 F for 40 minutes. This fully converts with the least losses of terps.
    Standard mix ratios
    5 grams decarbed Hash-weed-BHO-ABV-RSO
    2.5 teaspoons cooking oil (Coconut oil is preferred)
    .5 teaspoon lecithin. ( any kind )
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze
    Reheat
    Done
    Strain the weed bit or not it really doesn't matter at this point. It's just garbage now with all the THC extracted to the oil.
    [​IMG]
    twin 15 gram piles of decarbed kief
    [​IMG]
    Blended
    [​IMG]
    Just enough oil to make mud pies
    [​IMG]
    Batch two
    [​IMG]
    Took the oil-lecithin up to 300 F and added the hash
    [​IMG]
    Capping a batch
    I've made over 23,000 ( Twenty Three Thousand of them ).
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  10. I appreciate the decarb info but my other questions were about using a Magic Butter machine, thanks.

11. @socczilla
    An expensive toy that needs 2 cups of oil to run properly.
    I work in 3 teaspoons of oil at a time.
    All a MBM would do is make an ocean of useless stupid weak oil.
    I'd need a half pound of kief each time I'd run it to make anything strong enough and the long times it runs is a sure fire recipe for degraded CBN rich sleeper oil
    I need it way fucking stronger then that toy will make
    We know way more then any of the companies selling cooking toys.
    All you need is a tiny cat food dish and a junked toaster oven.
    You still need an oven with an MBM as it can't decarb.
    Once the weed is submerged in oil is doesn't decarb for shit before it degrades. Hours long processing is just ridiculous. 20 minutes is plenty to bind the THC to the oil.
    Put it out at your next yard sale.
    Just my personal observation.
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  12. #12 Kakarot, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong...
    When using the MBM2 and I set it for 2 hours, it takes a lot longer.
    ?? Is it supposed to do that?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Can hey you help me get the best use on this machine temp and times wise I have 4% trim running a qp in coco 4cups ?

15. Your working in amounts way past anything I do. My largest single run is 3 tablespoons of oil and 15 grams of Kief.
    Makes 90 ass kicking capsules.

Hash Master 5000 - Dry Ice Method, Hash Oil Capsules, Everclear Tincture, RSO

Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    The hash capsules thread is your best bet for seeing what I do and relating it to what your attempting.

Short cooking times = get up and go oil.
    Long cooking times = I need a nap.
    BNW

16. I put mine on 2 hours at 140

Sent from my SM-G935T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  17. Just unplug at 2 hours if it was on the whole time

Sent from my SM-G935T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  18. #18 aldy, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    I am curious about the recommendation to not pre-grind the buds before making magical butter. I get shake free from friends who grow and have made coconut oil and glycerine-based tincture with it and it worked fine. It is somewhat of a mess to strain-is that the reason for the no grind recommendation?
    I really like the MB machine- much safer than fiddling with oils on the stovetop. I bought mine some years ago and love that I can create medicine for my self and my dogs and know the source and potency of everything that goes into it.

19. #19 Tokintb12, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    Edit

• Like Like x 1
  20. It has a blade that purees it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1