Michelle Leonhart to step down as DEA chief next month - CNN Reports

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Green Wizard, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Adios bitch!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/21/politics/dea-leonhart-resigning-marijuana/

A 420 holiday treat for sure.

\n\nWashington (CNN)It didn't happen on 4/20 -- marijuana's high holy day -- but Michele Leonhart is stepping down in mid-May as administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday.

\n"I want to express my appreciation to Michele, not only for her leadership of the DEA since 2007, but also for her 35 years of extraordinary service to the DEA, to the Department of Justice and to the American people," Holder said in a statement.
    \nCNN reported earlier on Tuesday the resignation was expected.
    \nObama administration officials long ago soured on Leonhart, a career DEA agent who broke ground at the agency when she rose into leadership as the first woman to head a field office. In recent years, she has angered the administration for appearing to resist federal rules relaxing enforcement on marijuana as states have moved to legalize the drug for medicinal and recreational use.
    \nMore recently, she came under fire for her poor performance in a congressional hearing on an inspector general report that found instances of DEA agents having sex parties in Colombia with prostitutes paid for by drug cartels. The report cited light punishments for the agents and Leonhart seemed at a loss about what she could do about it.
    \nThe top lawmakers of the House Oversight Committee, which Leonhart appeared before, issued a joint statement welcoming the news of her departure.
    \n"In light of the DOJ Inspector General's report and the testimony we heard before our committee, Ms. Leonhart's resignation is the appropriate consequence," said Republican chairman Jason Chaffetz and Democrat Elijah Cummings. "With the opportunity now for fresh leadership, we are hopeful that the DEA can restore itself to an agency of distinction and excellence."
    \nOn Monday -- 4/20 -- word spread around Washington that Leonhart had met with Justice Department officials to discuss her departure and how to handle succession at the top of the agency. Officials had hoped to have her departure announced before Loretta Lynch, the attorney general nominee awaiting Senate confirmation, took office.
    <div> 

</div>Leonhart was tapped by President George W. Bush in November 2007 to lead the agency in an acting capacity, and was nominated by President Barack Obama to serve as administrator three years later.
    RELATED: House Oversight Committee grills DEA head over report
    \nLast Friday, Leonart sent an email to employees saying: "This has been a very difficult week for DEA, with members of Congress and the media asking tough questions and sharing our outrage about the disgraceful conduct of a few individuals several years ago. This employee misconduct has upset me for many reasons, but especially because it calls into question the incredible reputation DEA has built over more than 40 years."
    \nShe ended the email: "I want to thank you for your continued expressions of trust and confidence as we navigate through these rough waters. I know you will remain focused on our mission and the commitment to excellence that is the hallmark of who we are, and what we will always be at DEA."

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WH1Bsdzh7A

3. Good, maybe well get someone who isint so damn anti-pot for a change. Who am i kidding though. the war on drugs is job security for these cartel fraternizing, asset seizing scum. 

4. It was eventually going to happen. 

5. A good start! [​IMG]

6. Na na na na hey hey hey..

7. As long as there is a DEA, the same shot will continue. It is in their job description to lie about how bad weed is. Same shit different toilet.

8. The DEA is on the ropes man, and we keep slugg'n everyday. With the mmj movement afoot, there's bout to be some policy change soon.