Scariest movie while stoned?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by J. Sosa, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Title says it all. For me it would be The Decent or As Above, So Below. Just watched that new horror called unfriended. That was a good one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I've seen the decent a couple times, while not the scariest movie I've seen, it's a very underrated movie.

When I was younger, I thought the Japanese ring "Ringu" was scary, I don't know about now

[​IMG]

3. #3 bipola, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
    For me it'd be a toss up between Suspiria and Session 9.

It depends on what you're after though, neither are particularly "fun" movies but I figure if you're asking for the scariest movie to watch while stoned you want something truly disturbing that gets under your skin. 

I wouldn't want to be watching either of them for the first time while stoned though as it might make them very hard to follow, though I guess it could still be fun even if just for the intense mindfuck they would both provide.  

Session 9 in particular is a film I've seen several times and pick up on new things every time, and I realised after watching it the second time that I really had no idea what was happening the first time and missed literally about 50% of the plot details. I watched it high once and I found the truly "scary" parts to be the most disturbing thing ever at the time, but even when I'm not stoned this movie is creepy as fuck. It's pretty ambiguous and open to interpretation though and  to go into the plot details would probably spoil it a bit so I'd recommend watching it before reading up too much on it.

Also, some people seem to just not like it for whatever reason, I think because it's more cerebral, subtle etc than the average horror movie especially from the time period it's from (early 2000s). It's not a gory type of movie but one that affected me on a much deeper and more profound level than any 'splatterfest' type movie ever could (not to say I don't sometimes enjoy those types of movies as well).  

It does have a pretty low budget look that may turn some people off though and it's not out on bluray so netflix/DVD etc are your best options... It wasn't that critically acclaimed either with pretty average ratings on sites like IMDB but it has a huge cult following and rightfully so. I only saw it for the first time about 2 months ago and have seen it maybe 5 times since then, and I'm someone who usually struggles to commit to watching a movie a single time due to gettting bored within 15 minutes of 9/10 films I start to watch. 

Suspiria was the creepiest movie I'd watched high until I saw Session 9 a couple of weeks ago while stoned. It's really hard to rate one of them definitively over the other as they're very different but both incredible in their own right. Everything from the music to the art direction and cinematography etc in Suspiria is just insanely creepy/ominous and the atmosphere is so overwhelmingly filled with dread and tension that it's quite the experience whether high or sober. 

Headphones or a good sound system would make it even better in both cases as both films rely hugely on audio to establish atmosphere/scares etc, where in Suspiria it's mostly the score itself (the creepy theme song plays almost constantly throughout the film) in Session 9 it's the old tape recordings that provide some of the scariest/most disturbing moments.

Also, The Babadook is a great Australian horror film that came out last year and one that I found genuinely scary, but again it has its detractors who claim that it's not a "real horror movie" etc for whatever reason...

4. Babadook was for sure one of the creepier indie horror films I have seen. Havent watched it while stoned though.

5. This will obviously differ from person to person as people are afraid of various things the most.   For some it's ghosts, for others it will be slashers, psychos, werewolves....

Horror is a bit like sex.   It comes in fetishes.

In a personal example, I'm usually unfazed by most horror.  All the classics left me mildly amused usually.  Then I stumbled onto The Ring in my late teens and got my world rocked.  Meanwhile most people I meet think the movie was "ok" on the scare meter.   

6. Aside from when I was little, the only scary movie that ever caused me to get scared was Blair Witch Project.  I wasn't actually scared in the theater, but after the movie we drove back to my friends house (actually his parents, it was like our freshman year in college and we were back in town) and they lived in the woods.  I walked inside with my friend and we hung out and had a beer, then I left, and my car was parked about 30-40 yards from the house.  I had to walk in the pitch darkness to get to my car, after seeing that movie, and some bird or owl or something made a crazy ass sound that just about gave me a heart attack.

7. Super size me.

8. The Babadook
    Let the Right One In
    Cabin in the Woods
    Evil Dead
    V/H/S 1+2 
    As Above, So Below
    Afflicted 
    Drag Me to Hell
    REC

These aren't all that scary except for the Babadook and REC but they are definitely some of the best horror films in recent years and hella entertaining whilst high. 

9. #9 OrangeIceCream, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2015
    Sinister.
    That movie so fucked up that it's just so horrifying. It's very graphic and just fucking scary. When you're high, it's so terrifying it's not even funny. 

10. The Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
    Not SCARY scary, but that shit was hard.

11. the original texas chainsaw massacre is so corny its funny. hate that movie.

12. #12 Deleted member 813926, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    the devils rejects lol not scary but its fucked up.

13. The original Exorcist. Try getting stoned after Regan visits the clinic because that's when the movie starts to pick up. 

Thats the only movie i wont watch lbvs.

15. Bones,Leprechaun, or the cabin in the woods!

16. #16 singleposta, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
    I find several documentaries to be the scariest and most disturbing movies I've ever seen.

Taxi to the Darkside
    Deliver Us From Evil
    The Act of Killing
    Jesus Camp

In addition to those, pretty much any documentaries detailing warcrimes like Rawanda, Falun Gong organ harvesting, Cambodia, Depleted Uranium and similar topics. Technically, 2 of the 4 listed are in that category.  I'm far too jaded now and can't even remember being frightened by a horror movie created for entertainment. Martys was a good movie that I love watching and terrifies friends and family. Therefore, I could reccomend that movie as well but don't expect too much besides gore and violence against women. Still a great movie though (in my opinion).

17. when i was a kid i used to be deadly scared of final destination. i can't find many movies that give me a chill these days but i watched quarantine the other day i was stoned and i found it very interesting. like one of the better horror movies i've seen in a long time.

18. Super size me.

19. Original Halloween

20. [​IMG]
    poltergeist or candy man!! that old dude in poltergeist 2 scares the shit out of me..