Second grow- Blue Dream CFL Closet grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by txag, Apr 20, 2015.

1. I'm using 6 23 watt CFLS (9760 Lumens). I almost killed her with a combo of overwatering/over feeding so that slowed growth down to a halt for almost 2 weeks. I also topped three times which slowed growth. I'm done topping though, and I think this think will probably double in size in the next 10 or so days. Btw, I pulled 3/4 zip from my first plant with CFL's. It grew really slowly up to this point then exploded.

2. You top your main cola(s) 3x within the 1st 2 weeks? How do you manage that w/ CFL's?

3. I've only topped once and will only top once.. I'm using cfls too...500 watts worth...just stop watering her period...let her dry complete out before u water again...and quick tip..I bottom feed my girls. . That way you'll never over feed or over water them

4. what is bottom feed?

5. Get a deep pan of some sort..I use a oil pan that never been used...fill it up with water and place your pots on the pan in the water...your pants will absorb the water and after a hour if it's dry add water if it's not dry then your plant has had enough. .it also makes your roots dig deeper and grow more

6. Or add some perlite or lava rock to those oil pans and go straight sip or wicking method and let them water themselves as needed. All the grower has to do is keep water in the reservoir. These pans wick water via lava rock. My plants are always in this, but its especially a life saver for vacations and business trips. I usually add a gallon at a time, but for trips I top it off and come home to nicely watered plants

Attached Files:

7. My plant would be much larger had I only topped once and had 4x the watts I have. Overwatering is not an issue any longer, though I must say I'm intrigued by bottom watering. What does the perlite or lava rock do?

8. what hippie is doing is different then what I'm doing. My plants always set in the oil drain pans on top of the lava rock. I keep water in the bottom container so the plant always has the water it needs. It will water itself through the process of wicking. The lava rock gives a buffer so the flower pot isn't setting directly in water getting soaked. Lava rock/perlite/etc will allow the transfer of water to the pot as the plant needs it. It was simply 1 of the best and easiest upgrades I've done for my grow
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1151159-Noobwannb's-Self-Wicking-Smartpot-ghetto-setup

9. Makes a lot more sense now. I didn't realize that lava rock was permeable enough to transfer water like that. Will it only work with a smart pot?

10. there's a lot of different ways to make watering set ups like this. Read through some of that thread I posted above. Smart pots, hard containers, even self contained 5 gallon buckets with a reservoir in the bottom and a PVC tube to fill. Perlite can be a bit messy so i choose lava rock. If you cant find crushed lava rock, get out the old hammer and take out some aggression. The more surface area you have in contact with the pot the better. With hard pots i think most do use perlite however. Its not super messy as long as it don't dry out. Plus there solutions in that thread people have devised to get around dry perlite being messy. These things save my ass. In nice weather I'm extremely busy. I'll be the first to admit my grow used to be neglected quite often, my watering were all over the place. I would be home for a few weeks taking good care of watering, then away from home and hardly watering at all for a few weeks. Really up and down due to my schedule. Now rather I'm home a lot or not. Watering is no longer an issue. I may not be able to give the attention I should right now, but at least watering is covered

11. #111 Grass boy, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Pre flowering.

Female !!! WW
    image.jpg

Female !! Mango
    image.jpg

BD also female.

California orange also female.
    Wow 100% hit rate.

I am so blessed.

12. Love that set up. I was thinking about growing on my balcony, but I'm too paranoid of my crop getting seen or jacked while I'm away. Gonna look into investing in a set up similar to this. Nice plant too btw. Subscribing to the thread.

I just saw the link you posted... About to check it out!

Nice man!  Hoping for the same luck

Thanks dude.  It worked really well once I got temps under control.  They can be bought at wal mart... They are sold as "wire cube organizers" I think a set of them is about 20 bucks.

14. Here's an update.  I was out of town for the weekend, and came back yesterday to this.  Blue dream stretched a bit, because i gave her too much room. Other than that, I think everything is looking good. Seedling has it's first set of 3 fingers.  Let me know what yall think!
    7463.jpg img_7464.jpg img_7465.jpg img_7466.jpg

15. #115 txag, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2015
    On a completely unrelated note, Look what i found crawling around the ranch when I was cleaning out protein feeders 
    IMG_7469.jpg IMG_7436.jpg IMG_7429.jpg

16. Holy fuck that rattler!!!! I live in Cali and in the desert actually and we have a lot of Mohave greens their called (poisonous) and western Diamondbacks, but they're 3-4 feet long nothing like that boa haha! Plants are looking awesome, really digging that mainline tech you have going on. That's my next project when one of my beans pops! Keep it up and stay on the lookout for them snakes!

17. Thanks, its been a fun experiment! 

18. Staked it out to give a wider footprint.... apparently im not very good at centering a plant in a pot [​IMG] .  Going to probably veg another 5-7 days then flip. Preflowers starting to form (i think), but cant tell what they are yet... theyre itty bitty
    IMG_7473.jpg IMG_7475.jpg

19. How many days are you from seedling ( sprouting out I'm of soil/ a week plus If you tp, I don't remember if you did or not)

20. 46 days out of soil