Ps4 digital downloads too expensive?

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Big_Bud, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Does anybody else think that the downloadable games on psn are ridiculously expensive given the problem that you can't trade in etc if you get bored of or dislike the title?

2. #2 TheAnswer121, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2015
    overpriced simply because it's not a physical copy??

nope, and i think it's a great idea. cuts down on used game sales (of which the developers/publishers don't get a dime) and ultimately, it's your choice. as much as i enjoy saving money i do feel a bit bad every time i purchase a used product, simply because gamestop gets every cent of the profit

if i didn't feel the need for a physical copy, or just don't want unwanted issues (such as not being able to play a downloaded title for whatever reason) i'd buy all my games digitally

3. No not because it's not a physical copy but because you can't trade in or sell etc.
    I hear what you're saying about the developers but I'd be more inclined to buy digital copies of games if they were slightly cheaper.

4. So you think that the £10 difference between psn and a new copy from a high street retailer is justified? I'm all for supporting the game industry but I can't see what an additional £10 is getting us.

5. They should deff make the option to trade in a used download game for credit, got some doodoo shit im tryna get rid of but cant go to gamestop

6. Ya its pricey on xbox one as well.
    A game thats 30 in stores is still full price digitally.
    They should have a return system for when you complete the game you can get some cash back, or trade a game to someone else.
    It should be much less since you're not buying a physical copy that uses plastic etc

7. By law your not aloud to resell a game so that argument is out. But I find the fact there is no tax and I don't have to swap disks more then a good enough argument for me to buy digital

8. When you run out of memory and have to start deleting games do you still own them after you've deleted them from your console ?one of the reasons I don't buy digital.
    Another is I wanted the crew on ps4 checked price online to save a trip to gamestop
    Game was still full price digitally and a new copy at game stop was only 30$!! Kind of a no brainer

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. Yeah, I think digital downloads should receive price drops. Not necessarily cheaper on release but there is no reason why it should be $40-$30 new in stores and still be $60 dollars on psn/xbl.

I dont like the gamestop argument. There is no law saying you have to sell your games to gamestop. You can sell them directly to other gamers. Do you feel bad buying a used car because the manufacturer doesnt receive a 2nd payment for their product?

10. #12 hemptation420, May 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
    They are added to you console library and you can re download them anytime

11. I love the convenience of psn marketplace but like others have said how can you not think its expensive when you can buy the same game for a fraction of the price in store? I know they have some deals and promotions but I don't think it's enough.

12. I see where you're coming from. For instance, if you're buying music, a digital download of an album is usually cheaper than a physical copy on account of the materials used and transport costs. The same thing would make sense when translated to games.

But I've accepted before even getting a next gen console that they were going to nickle & dime me any place they could. 
    Convenience is highly valued by consumers all across the board, so people are willing to pay more if they perceive a greater value. I guess they're just counting on the fact that most people just want to be able to download a game from their home.

It doesn't make a whole lot of a difference to me. I still lean towards physical copies. 

13. its subjective.

If you personally consider replay value and trade in value as part of its sale price, then yes its over priced and you are free to hit a hard copy.

But in reality you are paying for labor. You are paying for the thousands and thousands of hours that are devotes to programming the game. The millions that are iinvested into the development of the ggame.

The material cost itself is trivial.

So it only makes sense that digital copy and hard copy are the same.price

-yuri

14. #16 Vicious, May 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2015

I was going to say physical should be more expensive due to materials like plastic, print and discs but then I guess you have to consider server costs for downloads and paying whatever cut it takes to be hosted by Sony, Microsoft, Steam, Origin or whatever.

Replay value is absolutely reasonable but considering trade in value as part of the sales price is one of the most entitled things a consumer could think, I believe. If they were tied into sale price it would probably go up, not down. Why would a company lower a price of a game because of Gamestop's payout or Amazon's resale value? Every used game you buy is money going to the store, not a copy sold to the producing company.

As for people saying they see a game for $40 in store and $60 online, then buy it in store. If you can get it cheaper what is there to complain about? It's supply and demand. You're not buying that $40 game from Sony or the developers, you're buying it from that store. The devs already got their money, the store wants to get rid of their product. Although I can say this seems to be a console problem. Steam sales yo.

15. Definitely yes. I can't help but to feel bad for anyone who spends more than 50€ on a digital copy, especially if it's an older game. 

16. Not really and there are always price drops , especially for PS+ . If you resell alot of your games then I can see where you're coming from but in all reality , selling a game right when I buy it isn't on my mind...unless the games a disaster (*looks at The Order in disdain*)

I wish they would ease up on game hype and preorders though. Also wish more companies would throw in extra DLC for the fuck of it. Some are starting to though . 

This should happen a lot. I loved how the free weapon packs just started popping up in GTAV!

There's a couple devs that have stepped it up. CDPR gave free DLC in the Witcher 3. Techland also released some for Dying Light. It's sort of catching on. What I hate is when a developer will lock a certain area in the game, already planned out, then release it as "DLC" and still release that shit unfinished . (evilly smiles at Destiny)