Which tent would you buy?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Ahkens, Apr 18, 2015.

1. I am just starting out and am not sure how often I might grow.  I live where recreational pot is legal, but growing pot isn't, so it would actually be better for me just to drive the 2 miles to the pot store but I've always wanted to do this. 

I already have some 4 foot T5s, hence all three tents listed below are 2 feet wide, 4 feet long and taller than I am.

The Millard is $85
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ETBDX14/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3NYE73641VNA5

The Sun Hut is $135
    http://madmaxhydro.com/shop/tents-tarps/sun-hut-big-easy-80-4-3-ft-x-2-8-ft-x-6-5-ft/

The Gorilla is $180
    http://madmaxhydro.com/shop/tents-tarps/gorilla-grow-tent-2x4-lite-line-gorilla-grow-tent-no-extension-ki-2/

I keep going round and round.  Getting the cheapest sounds good because there are so many other expenses, especially for a hobby I might not keep doing.  And it does seem like people who do continue with this obsession, I mean hobby, can always use more tents, so perhaps having the cheap one on hand in case I want to suddenly keep a male or quarantine or something might be useful, even if it can't hold up to being a main tent. 

On the other hand, the Sun Hut looks better, but I don't know how much.  And the Gorilla seems way overpriced, but then everybody seems to rave about them and they do seem like they would last ten times longer, but again, I might not last that long. 

Suggestions? 

2. #2 smokeymcdoodles, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2015
    anything close to 30 deep sucks trust me

buy the biggest tent you can with cash (not on credit)....cause you want to be able to chill in the tent with the plant

on the millard XL whats the 6 inch step up that sucks

• Like Like x 1
  3. Or you can just open the door and chill with it while sitting right outside. Unless you have a huge tent, fill that thing full, why waste space. Any of those tents would do the trick. Of course gorilla is supposed to be top of the line. You need to check the inside dimensions against the lights dimensions. I have a 2x4 tent but by the time you add the frame inside its a couple inches smaller. I wouldn't be able to fit a light that measured exactly 2'x4'. I use 2 lights in mine. Right now I have a 400 watt led and a 600 watt hid. I've found a cooltube that's 35" long and has 2 bulbs. So I think I'm changing to that because I prefer the hps over the led for flowering. I had to try it out though

• Like Like x 2
  4. I have bought cheap and expensive tents. At the end of the day it's usually a push. Then again I am a man who can do basic steps to maintain any tent and keep it going like sow a zipper seam back up and stuff like that. If you are full on sure you are going to be growing for the next decade then drop the money on like a gorilla tent or light house. If you are unsure, just want something portable, or have the ability to sow or clue a tent and don't care how it looks go cheap. I always go cheap just because worst case after a few years, I have to buy another and it's still cheaper than the expensive one. 

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 smokeymcdoodles, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2015
    one tent for a decade or a piece of shit throw away....seriously?

I see what ur saying with whatever gets the job done. Having bought tons of cheap things if my zipper breaks after 10 zips im gonna be pissed

6. Well none are truly that bad or at least none of the ones I bought. Most of the problems I have with the cheap ones are my fault anyways. I was merely commenting on the fact that they will perform the same at the end of the day and it comes down to how long you want it/plan to keep it. I buy the smaller ones cheap because I plan on expanding anyways. That's why I wouldn't pay over double for something I only plan to have for 1-2 years. If you didn't plan on going bigger, or smaller, or different, or changing anything with the size of your grow. Then yes. Drop the extra cash on something that will last a while. 

So that's exactly what I meant. 

[​IMG]

7. how was i supposed to know that push meant all that

thank you for clearing it all up with the informative video clip

8. IMO the tent should come last when you're trying to build a setup with a limited budget. But durability is rarely an issue for something that is stationary and well-cared for. Dismantling it and setting it up repeatedly adds more wear and tear to the fabric, so that changes my feelings about it. I have a large, cheap tent that might survive a few more moves but it's nearing the end of it's lifespan and I'd like to replace it with something much more durable.

It's not something that will contribute to the health of your plants (the difference between tents, that is) so it's really just a personal preference. You certainly don't need the luxury model, but it is nice to have.

• Like Like x 1
  9. All my cheapies are still going strong just be careful with the zippers until they're broke in

10. You could build a wooden cabinet of the same dimensions with plywood and 2x4s for about $25 including cost of caulking, screws, hinges and foam stripping for a door, etc.
    And with some paint, it will last longer than you do.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I just framed a 6x6x8 with 2x4's and stapled the black on one side white on the other side plastic on it and used magnets to make a door flap.

Jorge Cervantes style