Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Lupus / autoimmune disease

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by dabs710, Apr 17, 2015.

1. #1 dabs710, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2015
    Anyone here have lupus or an autoimmune disease like lupus? I just got tested with positive for anti-dsDNA antibodies by my rhumetologist. Pretty surprised, we were thinking it was another problem and never suspected lupus. Been struggling with health problems for a while now. How much does medical cannabis help you? Do you dab or use rick simpson oil? What strains work best for you?  Have you found that you need less meds when you have oil? Do they help well, or are there a lot of side effects? Let me know your thoughts and experiences, I'm curious to know.

2. I use high CBD cannabis to treat seizure, muscle spasms, pain and sleeplessness. I use a high CBD strain balanced with moderate THC to function during the day. I medicate via vaping for immediate relief and edibles for longer lasting relief. I am also getting into raw fruit smoothies with freshly harvested high CBD leaves for curative effect. I'm not sure of the efficacy of raw cannabis yet as I have not been on this regimen long enough. My high CBD strains have included Medicann Blue Blood and La Plata Quin-N-Tonic. I am always in search of tasty and fast maturing high CBD strains.

The pharmaceuticals which my rheumatologist prescribed includes a highly addictive opiate, chemotherapy, super aspirin, gabapentin and an anti-malarial. Some of the effects of my cocktail include liver damage, intestinal distress, vision problems, hair loss (I'm a girl, this sucks), constant ringing in the ears, and addiction.

3. #3 dabs710, Apr 17, 2015

I understand the gabapentin. I have horrible raynaud's / tingling and it bothers me when I sleep sometimes. I have 0 tolerance for opiates my whole life, they make me so sick. Your comment makes me sweaty and nervous. Are your immunosuppressants and steroids that harsh? I'm really nervous about taking those kinds of meds. At the same time I want relief and don't want the disease to harm my body. I hope to only take strong meds when I'm flaring up, and take milder ones when I'm not. I don't know how this works yet. I hope I can avoid them (at least heavy doses) if I'm not flaring up? What is your experience? Do you avoid these meds when you have good CBD / oils?

I've used the CBD and of course it helps, but I found it didn't help me that much more (?) than other strains. I'll give some super high CBD stuff a try soon and see how I feel. Thank you for your insight.

4. #4 dabs710, Apr 17, 2015
    Also, do you find your use of strong oral oils reduces your incidences of flare ups at all? I'm wondering how much weed interacts and covers up this problem.

5. I have an autoimmune vasculitis, that causes some similar symptoms to lupus. I've used cannabis for pain relief and nausea, and just recently began using CBD oil as well. I don't live in a medical state, and am not growing anymore, so what strain I'm getting is sometimes a mystery. I prefer something indica dominant. I've used lotion/salve for some topical pain relief when being high is not an option.

I took steroids for a year and chemo for six months after it caused a stroke, among other issues before. It was shitty, but I'm in a lot better shape now than I was before. Worst of the chemo was GI issues and weight loss. Dropped my blood cell counts too, got anemic, and got a really nasty staph infection. And I sometimes worry if it'll contribute to lymphoma, leukemia, or bladder cancer down the road. But a chance of dying later beat a better chance of dying then, IMO. I'm on a very low dose immunosuppressant now, and thankfully I really haven't had any side effects from it. No more steroids. Side effects of long term, high dose steroids scare me.

I take gabapentin and a blood pressure med too. I had a little bit of dizziness after starting them, but that's it. The former helps a lot with the remaining neuropathy symptoms. And I've only had two episodes of Raynaud's since I finished the chemo drugs, IDK if it's due to them or something else. I don't take opiates, I used to abuse them and am scared of doing so again.

Autoimmune disease is tough. Best of luck to you. Hit me up if you ever wanna talk.

6. Got the official diagnosis today. It wasn't lupus, afterall. [​IMG]

I did get diagnosed with behcet's though. I guess that's close enough. [​IMG]

7. Maybe an anti-inflammatory diet would help your Behcet. Someone I know uses a vegan diet and Thundergodvine to reduce her rheumatoid markers. They've dropped from 150 to 28 (15 is normal). She has never taken any chemo or steroids; and was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis 10 years ago.

8. Try AIP or Paleo Autoimmune protocol diet.
    My AI conditions were triggered by viruses (Epstein-Barr, hsv, and shingles that we know of), mycoplasma, Lyme, broken back, car accidents, multiple falls, pelvis/spine/rib sprains, PTSD, and stress.

I read Medical Medium and found many things that help. He doesn't mention rso or Helichrysum. His advice on food and supplements are enlightening.

I use high cbd rso(whole plant extract) mixed with coconut oil that I put into capsules. I take these to function throughout the day and take a stronger one for bedtime. Side note: these caps have been relieving the pain and reducing tumors in a couple dogs. One just had a checkup from the vet. This dog also takes my Reiki Charged helichrysum italicum essential oil. The tumors are gone. Vertebra permanently damaged. No yelping when hips are touched and lifted onto table. Arthritis is managed. Recommend not putting dog down last month. Dog has at least another year.
    I use the Helichrysum Italicum essential oil to manage pain and inflammation and, well, pretty much my go to remedy for everything. Plus, it speeds healing. My conditions and flare-ups had settled down. I highly recommend combining this with rso in your protocol.
    Some of my remedies: hash for migraines and chronic pain and inflammation. vape cart for extreme nausea/pain(for extra thc boost on top of RSO caps) . bho when nothing else is strong enough. Very specific whole plant extract (about 50%thc, 53% cbd) with coconut oil as a topical numbing oil with little smell, most every other wpe or rso product is too stinky to use topically so I use for capsules in different strengths with coconut oil (Avacado oil didn't seem to dissolve it as well, but I guess I'll get some fco for the topical)
    IMHO, if I'm not functional or it doesn't help me sleep, why bother with it? I'm still on Arava and a few more rxs, but my thyroid med has been lowered since Jan of this year for hashimoto's. So I'm improving.
    Cat