Advice on seedling lighting set up - Photos Included.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mindspace, Apr 16, 2015.

1. #1 mindspace, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2015
    Hey guys, 

Long story short, I've planned my first grow for over a year and always fell at some sort of hurdle. 

This time, I have tried to be as organised as possible. I went to the bother of building a proper, fully fitted grow room. It has CO2 extraction, 600watt HPS lighting, oscillating fans etc etc. 

Of course, I've hit yet another hurdle on this attempt. I germinated all the seeds for my medical grow, with no problems. I planted them in these small pots with a 50/50 mix of Biobizz Allmix and planting compost. 

When they broke soil I had them under a little double 7watt bulb CFL desk lamp just to help them sprout. I'd read a few people saying you could put the seedlings straight under the 600watt HPS without harming them if you left good distance of a few feet. I know this is a waste of energy, but I planned on going straight down that route. 

Yesterday, my seedlings were about 4 inches and I was worried about stretch, presumably because 7watt CFL's are far from ideal and they were straining to get more. 

So I thought it was time to put them into the grow room. I'd tested everything when I installed it to make sure it was all working. Light and everything working fine. I just had to adjust the height, to make the HPS light further away, so that it wouldnt harm the seedlings. I think I accidentally tapped the bulb off the reflector, and perhaps this is how the problem started. It was a light tap, but I know these bulbs are sensitive. When I turned it on, the HPS wouldn't ignite. It just kept flickering, with a fade blue flash running through the bulb with each flicker. I can only presume its the bulb, and I've another mail ordered - so I will know for sure when it arrives. I just need to know what to do until it gets here! 

I found a SAD light box I had unused from some years ago. I took the diffuser cover off, and it appears to have two strip lights, CFL presumably, running at 36watts each. Also, conveniently has a reflector behind it. 

Is this sort of lighting ok to put my seedlings under until my new HPS light arrives?? What sort of distance should I keep it at (Since taking the picture I've moved the seedlings up so that they are about 7cm away from the light). Should I use a fan or will that be too cold since they aren't in the grow room and sitting uncovered on my bedroom floor? 

Greatly appreciate any advice! I really don't want these little guys to die! 

P.S
    Seeds are CBD Crew - Nordle, Critical Mass and Medihaze. 

Attached Files:

2. Should work perfect. Get a fan on them to start strengthening them. They will be perfectly fine temperature wise as long as you don't go too low.