Whats your favorite Hydro Nutrients?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by hountzz, Apr 15, 2015.

1. What does everyone use?  Why do you use it?  

I'm currently using the General Hydro Flora series.  My girls seem to like it just fine, but I've heard that it "isn't the best".  

What makes a nutrient system the best?  What does everyone recommend?

Thanks!

2. #2 Kevieboy420, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2015
    I use ghs flora duo series because its simple and all my girls have loved it.

A lot of it is just growers preferrence in my opinion. I love the results i get with the flora duo series 😊.

My opinion if its not broke dont fix it lol

3. #3 hddani, Apr 15, 2015
    I'm a relatively new grower and so with each new grow I hop around nutrients and have gotten great results from everything as long as I don't overfeed.

That said I've used the Lucas Formula and recently GH Flora Bloom in flower & Grow in veg. The girls (and garden plants that are watered with waste and leftovers) love it and develop to their full potential, IMO, in the small environment I grow them in.

4. I've been experimenting with the h3ad formula for coco in dwc.

Gh 3 part
    0 grow
    6 ml micro per gallon
    9 ml bloom per gallon
    1 gram of Epsom salt per gallon

The last plant I flowered following it yielded excellent super dense buds. Hands down the most dense buds to come out of my garden to date.

5. I think I've used them all. I was a canna faithful till I saw the light. But I'm using cyco now. Trying out the whole dutchmasters line in my other room. That room is in veg still. But so far so good. Hopefully she yields higher than cyco. I love switching it up

6. Been using Botanicare for about six years, it was recommended by a local Grower. I started using the Pro Grow/Bloom line, I moved to the KIND line in 2013. These nutrients have never disappointed me, they are easy to use and not much is needed, my ppm's range in the 800-900 range. For Hydro setups Silica Blast and Hydroguard have been absolute plant savers, no root rot or any root related problems, I would not consider using anything else.

Attached Files:

7. I love their hydro guard. Been using it forever. And easier to deal with than great white. I like adding it to my compost teas too. Great stuff!

8. What does epsom salt do ?

9. I use growth technology's ionic grow and ionic bloom. I have used a lot of different brands and I tried this one because it's just one bottle so you don't have to mix ratios.

Ionic grow when vegging and ionic bloom when flowering. After trying it for the first grow I knew I wouldn't use anything else. It's in perfect balance so I never get nutrient deficiencies. It's practically colourless so it doesn't stain the roots. And it's really cheap. I recommend it all the time 

10. To answer your question. What makes a nute line the best, to me at least; it's gotta be complete. I don't want deficiencies. It's gotta be transparent, I want to see a MDSS. it has to yield well. And my flowers need to taste amazing. I don't care about it being cheap but if each hit is going to run me 5k then it just has to be worth it.

11. Hydroponic-Research V + B

It's a one part complete dry formula, including fulvic acid

Prior to switching several years ago, I was looking at mixing my own, but as a personal use grower, I would never use up the various bulk ingredients. I was using DM Gold full line (~ 7 different bottles). I did a side-by-side and was very happy when the V+B outperformed DM

They now offer +Size for flowering. Can't say I notice any significant difference over V + B

12. Advanced Nutrients Is The Best To Me,, I've Tried Foxfarms, General Hydro, Botanicare,, The Results I Get With My Sensi Grow/Bloom Are Very Visible And Has Perfect Ph Tech.q

Spaceman Charlie..

Magnesium

14. #14 str8jacket, Apr 15, 2015
    I've tried a lot of nutrient brands and recipes over the years, and for me the GH flora 3 part work the best because I can change the ratio of the 3 parts to dial in an optimum regimen for different growth stages and for different genotypes/phenotypes.

There are basically 3 different beliefs when it comes to nutrients for MJ:

1. Those who believe that there is a 'one size fits all' nutrient formula that works well for ALL MJ plants regardless of genotype/phenotype, and works well for BOTH veg and flower for the entire life cycle of the plant (ie: lucas formula).

2. Those who believe that their is a one size fits all veg formula and a one size fits all flowering formula. This group at least understands that vegging plants have different nutrient needs than flowering plants, even if they don't fully understand (or believe) that different genotypes/phenotypes have completely different nutrient requirements/sensitivities.

3. Those who believe that vegging plants need completely different nutrient regimens from flowering plants AND different strains/genotypes/phenotypes have completely different nutrient requirements. This is the group that dial in their nutrient recipes based on the plants' nutrient requirements to obtain optimum results.

The third method in the list requires some work, so lazy/stubborn growers will always flock to the first to groups.

In my experience, a very big factor in determining a nutrient regimen to use is whether someone grows from seeds every time or propagates through clones. Most people who grow from seeds every time never learn about dialing in because it generally takes more than a single life cycle of a plant to get it completely dialed in.

Seed plants are WAY more tolerant to less than optimum nutrient balance and to over fertilizing than mature clones. Anybody who has successfully propagated a genotype/phenotype through cloning for more than a year understands how much more dependent they become on proper nutrient regimen and how much more nutrient sensitive they become.

If you grow from seeds every time (especially auto flowering seeds) and just want to keep them alive and reasonably healthy, I'm sure any of the recommendations in this thread will work fine.

If you want to propagate a genotype/phenotype for 10 years or more, you CANNOT let someone else dictate what nutrient recipe to use. You have to put in the work to dial in a regimen that will keep them healthy and vigorous.

Growing auto flowering seeds is like the kindergarten of growing.

Growing feminized seeds is like the elementary school of growing.

Growing regular seeds is like the junior high of growing.

Propagating through clones is like the high school of growing.

Propagating a genotype/phenotype through cloning for over a decade is the college degree of growing.

People who believe there is a one size fits all nutrient regimen that works splendidly for all MJ pants (especially those who believe the same balance works equally well in veg and flower) are sadly misinformed and just stubbornly want to stick to their beliefs.

15. Epsom salt is not just magnesium. It is magnesium sulfate.

A lot of people have fixed sulfur deficiency with epsom salt when they actually thought they were fixing a mag deficiency.

16. I have no idea what's the best, but I just use GH flora 3 part. Suits my style well.

I do know that my poop stinks, though...

17. I wasn't saying there is anything wrong with growing from seeds every batch or growing auto flowering seeds.

You just can't learn as much about growing plants' nutrient needs growing seeds every time as you can from propagating a plant for years. It's like learning to drive in a sedan with automatic transmission and then trying to jump behind the wheel of a shelby mustang with a munsi 4 speed and trying to get the full performance capabilities from it without knowing how to drive it.

18. Should probably try spending the money on AN then...

19. #19 str8jacket, Apr 15, 2015
    I haven't tried the AN line yet, but I think I'm going to give them a try for flowering.

With one part bloom nutrients, people generally tweak the balance (NPK ratios) in different parts of flowering with bloom additives. Nothing wrong with that, just another way to dial in a regimen with balance adjustments. I prefer a multi part nutrient that allows me to dial in a regimen without buying additives.

Is it really a one part formula if you're using additives? Either way, you can dial in a regimen that works well for your system/plants, or you can just use the same recipe somebody else uses and see how it works out for you. It's not like baking a cake though. There are a lot of variables that come into play as far as how well any specific recipe will work for any specific grower/setup/conditions/strains/seed plants/clones.

Veg stage is the easiest to keep plants healthy, especially seed plants. If you want to propagate a plant for any length of time though, you will find out that the veg recipe starts to become more important as the older clones start becoming more nutrient finicky and you need to keep them absolutely stress free and vigorous to avoid genetic degradation.

Just food for thought.

I believe that each individual plant has different needs and these change throughout its life cycle. However these are so slight that a "one size fits all" for veg and a slightly different one for flower will provide everything the plant needs without having any toxicity or deficiencies from any particular elements. 

Problems will only happen if the reservoir isn't changed often enough. I change mine out around once every 4-6 weeks when the plant is well established and I don't get any problems so the ratio has to be pretty close and I have grown several strains with the same single bottle nutrient also with no nutrient issue