Is Illegal Marijuana Really Causing Californias Drought?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Dat Dank, Apr 15, 2015.

1. They'll blame anything on marijuana.

2. Big Ag.
    Consumes 80% of the states water.
    Big Ag represent 2% of the states GDP.

Enough said.

3. To environmentalist, fishermen and people who like to eat it :)

But the point is, they dumped enough water to supply millions of people for the sake of fish.

4. It's the peoples fault, not the fish. Who do you think is causing global warming and disrupting weather patterns across the globe?

5. #8 Deleted member 629842, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    Every once in a while on the radio someone from my town's sheriff's department goes on about how "we all know how there is a drought going on and we all know how illegal marijuana growers steal water. So if you see anybody growing marijuana illegally call this number ______" 
    Been going on for months. 

6. #9 pedroliberty, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2015
    Too funny. I heard on the radio out here in California the other day that it takes a minimum of 6 gallons of water a day to keep a cannabis plant alive. Unbelievable what people will say.

7. And to the hippy that wants to blame changing weather patterns on humans....we've only been documenting weather for less than 200 years. The majority of people researching weather patterns agree that these changes are cyclical. Don't trip. Get a haircut.

8. Well I have 18 plants go though 1000 gallons of water every 3 days soo..
    Yeah I can see that.

When it comes to global climate change, there's this thing called science and it disagrees with you. There are arguments that support yours but if you really understood the topic you wouldn't deny it.

10. 2014 California water usage

[​IMG]

I doubt more weed is being grown than fruit and vegetables.

11. I blame overpopulation.

12. Plant numbers. Maybe. Weight. MJ blows them all out of the water.
    Mj is ca number one cash crop as of a few weeks ago. Lol. And it ain't even legal here.

13. Oh. I have a pretty good grasp on the topic. And seeing as how other planets in the solar system have been heating up at approximately the same rate, and as far as i know there are no humans on those planets to cause these changes it's pretty safe to say it's not because of us. ;) but if it makes ya feel good to believe we do have that much impact on the solar system...keep on gettin' down with yo bad self. :)

14. They serve a strong batch of kool aid over there.

15. Oh, how profound. a jonestown reference. Hmmm.

16. #19 dabs710, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2015
    Yes, illegal weed does divert water, but it's little compared to all the vastlands of agriculture and overall general daily usage we have here in Cali. The lack of rain we have here also isn't helping. Climate change, whether it's man-made or naturally cyclical, is also contributing. A proper legalization system would help fractionally, and it is not going to fix or even substantially help CA's drought. It is not easy to manage water in a state with 38 million people combined with a lack of it. If I remember correctly, Mendocino did not have 1 tresspass grow bust this past year, and these people are the worst with water (often times stealing from rivers and streams), destroying land, and pesticides. I'm not convinced that if we hypothetically didn't have weed that our drought problem wouldn't be that bad. I think we have bad weather (or good, depending on how you want to look at it), and a lot of people and things to take care of within our border.

Captain Obvious reporting out...

17. No, that was perfect. Finally a voice of reason! Way more fun than watching me and some guy i'd probably get along with really well if we met complaining back and forth. ;)