do we live in a rape culture?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by fracturtle, Apr 11, 2015.

1. that's sort of my point. obviously there are some nutjobs out there who pose a threat and no amount of education is going to stop them which means that it's just a good idea to be cautious and not put yourself in potentially dangerous situations. 

2. #22 Vicious, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2015

It's basically the addition that you can't give consent while drunk in any capacity. Consent is dynamic. Sexual assault is an act that goes beyond consent. Ala drunk sex is rape. I'd have to redo my whole university "don't rape" program do get the specific state law. Anyway "rape" is rampant in academia right now because of it.

That's not what rape culture is though. Remember how people use to think video games made people violent? Consider that violence culture. Rape culture parallels that. Anytime rape is trivialized, that is and promotes "rape culture" which is accepted by society.

4. Ahh I see^
    Makes sense drunk consent isn't really consent..

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. Our society has developed very poorly in terms of sex, sexuality, and body image (both positive and negative).  I think a great deal of this stems from our tradition of puritanical views in regards to all of these.

For the most part, we still teach our children that their bodies are something to be ashamed of and bodies of the opposite sex are forbidden to even think about, much less see.  I think this plays a large factor into the negative mental development of children, and under certain conditions, breeds sexual predators.

If I really lent any credence to statistics, I think it would be interesting to see rates of sexual violence between children raised to adulthood in 'normal' family environments, as apposed to children in nudist or naturist families.

6. i guess i'm just very sheltered. in my circle, rape is taken very seriously. tied to a tree, genitals covered in honey and left for the ants seriously. i guess it's just odd to me that what used to be a very serious accusation has been so watered down that it now includes drunken consensual sex that leads to feelings of regret even though no one was physically forced into the act or hurt in any way. my sister quit a job over sexual harassment so i understand that there are still scummy people out there not being respectful, especially towards women but i'm not sure that is representative of society as a whole. maybe male-dominated business culture. still, most people aren't like that so to say an entire culture condones that sort of behavior isn't fair, imo. 

You realize the last patent "Anti-Masturbatory" device patent was 1973? There use to be a passage in the boy scouts manual to deter masturbation and people believed 1 part semen was to 30-40 parts blood. You're right about repressed sexuality but I can't tie it into liberal progression. On the contrary, serial sex murders exponentially increased from 60-80's but 90-10's have even more more sex crimes.

8. Yes, should have been far more specific.   I and everyone I know are not part of a subset that sexually assaults people, and I'm sure the same goes for you and the vast majority of others reading, if not all.   Just like we are not part of people who murder, abuse kids, have sex with animals,  or shoot crack under the highway bridge.   These are abnormal people and modern society has always viewed them as such.    

You say the "majority of the world would side with the perpetrator and women are viewed unclean when raped"  ?

What world are you talking about again?   I have lived in 8 countries, almost each time for several years, and the same goes there as well.  Nobody sane "sides with the perpetrator" or views a raped woman as anything else other than a victim.   There are countries still stuck in the stone ages who treat women like property,  which is one of the main reasons why I frequently point out how ass backwards those countries are.    We can acknowledge the existence of horrid people and acts, but that does not make them us, it doesn't make them anywhere near the majority, and it certainly does not make them anywhere near being the norm.  

9. #29 Vicious, Apr 11, 2015

That's the right response. There's no fucking rape culture just like there is no violence culture. Not one mentally healthy person thinks rape is acceptable, it's on the same level as murder. Most can't imagine physically depraving someone of their human rights. Someone that can has serious underlying issues like narcissism, anti-social personality disorder and are a sexual deviant.

I was so full of shit my first post I gave myself cognitive dissonance. After doing this 1000 times I wanted to see if I could understand what the other side thinks and it's still retarded.

those are not abnormal ppl and we shouldn't be looking down on them. everyone is a product of their environment. you and i could easily have been part of those groups if we were raised in different conditions. if societies were better at taking care of ppl there wouldnt be as many "abnormal" ppl.

yeah good for u i bet you pitched tents with the locals and studied their culture.

mainly in the uneducated and conservative parts of the worlds, in many countries the majority, still hold misogynistic and conservative beliefs. and rape is a subject approached with cynicism

some places you dont even report a rape because it would bring shame to your family
    some places you wouldnt marry a woman if shes been raped
    some would blame the girl for not being more modest
    rape is even used as a way of disciplining women

call me a liar cause i cant present specific cases, but the reports are all the same, rape is a huge issue in the world
    in fact a lot of women in our wonderful progressive first world struggle to be believed. a lot of women have told their stories of how it is being a victim, and it's not all sympathy and support.

you're becoming very defensive so clearly youre making this about yourself somehow. there's a lot of me, my and I.

11. I think what is happening to a lot of people is the media is playing rape, rape, rape so much in front of them for the past 5 some years that the vileness of the act mixed with its  play-on-repeat  representation began to grossly overestimate it's existence and tolerance granted by law.  

12. huh? not sure what 'side' you mean 

Well, digging very deep into the topic can give one a headache very quickly trying to tie together relevant variables and factors.  The 'sex sells' mentality of the media really started to pick up steam in the time-frame you speak of and grew and grew until today where it's so ludicrously omnipresent.  Add to that how massively connected we are to the world, while at the same time so dramatically disconnected from one another.  We've made it so easy to see just about everyone in the world, and at the same time we've taken out the humanity that probably should come with that.

Just stay out of social politics while you're ahead.

15. no need to be rude

16. #36 Vicious, Apr 11, 2015

I was actually giving very sincere advice for your own mental health. It's a slippery slope and the rabbit hole goes deep.

You're probably right. What 'side". All I know is I fucking hate these people and would purge them like McCarthy for the Reds they are.

17. #37 fromTheOldCountry, Apr 11, 2015
    I have experience and education in this topic and I am going to say certainly. First let us look at this advertisement. It is said to depict gang rape.

Attached Files:

18. #38 Vicious, Apr 11, 2015

I'm going with off duty sexy firefighters helping a women with sea sickness in the sky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1lc6KASWg

19. Speak for yourself.   I do  look down upon people who sexually assault others or consider them property.    The fact that you can maybe outline how they became that way does not make me tolerate horrid transgressions like rape.  It also does not make me incapable of distinguishing between the vast majority of sane society and the obvious psychopaths in it.

Yes, actually, I did "pitch tents" with locals in several of those countries.  One generally does not live somewhere for years with zero interaction, especially when going to school, holding jobs, dating, etc.

When you begin with a blanket statement about how  "We"  as a society do not view rape as extremely traumatic, then you invite critique upon yourself that will feature direct  personal examples, i.e.  I and the people I know.  Both Micro and Macro.    Notice how I also said the same applies to just about everyone else on here, so it was a direct debunking of the extremely poor usage of the word "we" on your part.   

The countries you are talking about are not the 1st world which is where this discussion is mostly had and done so inaccurately.  Their values and social norms are not replicated in the 1st world and if they are it is on an individual basis and society as a whole condemns it.      Stand up in any major US corporation and make a misogynistic joke.   See how long you keep your job.     "Discipline" your wife Arab style in Times Square and see how long before someone cracks you where you stand.  

20. Basically stole the words out of my mouth. I would never walk alone at night in any unfamiliar or crowded towns or cities... I'm a man, and I'm not exactly small, but I would still fear for my safety.

You're right, I hate to say this, but walking drunk down a city street late at night wearing skimpy clothing, by yourself, isn't a whole lot different than flaunting a wad of cash and saying you got mugged because we live in a culture obsessed with money. Sure, it's true, but that's the way it is. There will always be bad people doing bad things. I absolutely fucking HATE it when feminists like to blame this on men as a whole, and not just bad people doing bad things. I'm not saying you are asking for it, but really... Just be smart. If something happens at the bar, in your home, or any other seemingly perfectly safe locations, that's different.

Soon enough we won't even be allowed to look at pretty ladies without getting slapped the way this is going.

Act safe, practice common sense, and use the buddy system. The buddy system is actually somewhat enforced at some local campus' here to due previous crimes.