do we live in a rape culture?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by fracturtle, Apr 11, 2015.

1. What is this rape culture as in she was dressed a certain way? or rape culture that entails a failed trade-off?
    sat stabbing my keys in manner which taken the wrong way could be taken as rapey or just the prodding phallic symbolism of pressing and jabbing?

2. We don't live in a rape culture. Op just wants attention

-yuri

3. #323 Dearest Leader, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2015
    Rape culture is something that exists in third world countries. We live in a culture of overzealous feminists that get offended at everything. I'm not saying all feminists are like that but there is a loud group of them that like to make mountains out of molehills. Society condemns and makes negative examples out of rapists, plain and simple. Yes, some people do victim blame but that is not the majority.

While I am on the victim blaming I would just like to state that telling a woman to be careful about the way she dresses, where she goes and how she behaves is not victim blaming it is risk management. Obviously there are cases where this has been used to form an accusatory narrative but I believe respectfully educating women on the precautions they can take is not blaming women. Unfortunately, anyone, anywhere can hurt you any time if they so choose. You don't have control over other people but you do have control of yourself. Stealing cars is wrong but we don't all leave our doors unlocked on the faith that someone won't abuse that chance when they see it because it's wrong. If the fact that we teach people something is wrong led to that thing not happening anymore then there wouldn't be robberies, assaults, murders etc.

Honestly if there's a culture of rape anywhere it's in male prisons, but ironically somehow that's the only kind of rape joke you can still get away with.

5. That's the way, it had to be, they locked him and threw away the key, no I can't take pity on men of that kind, even though he now takes it in the behind.

6. Sometimes you just need to scratch that old rape itch

7. The real 'rape culture' is largely unspoken and exists inside the US prison system...

8. I agree. Thanks for posting.

9. Rape occurs much, MUCH less now than every other time period in history.

10. #331 fracturtle, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
    either that or being regularly reminded that i'm an 'over privileged' white male who grew up in culture in which women are held in the utmost respect leaves me confused when i use logic/words/definitions to figure out whether or not the dominant US culture is actually one that promotes rape. as i suspected, it's not. thanks for the smug, egotistical contribution to the thread. must have really needed that.

11. #332 Scribbles510, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
    Exactly how do we live in a rape culture? I've never seen one article on TV that glorifies rape. The only thing I can think of is the news, but they promote all kinds of sick people, from murderers to kidnappers to terrorists, etc. And if we live in a rape culture now, then what did we live in 100, 500, 1,000 years ago? I might be jaded though, considering I've never heard of a sober adult female being raped, and I've seen more innocent guys locked up on false accusations than females that have come out as being raped (and filed charges, and won.)

12. We live in a culture that is revising what words mean.

Sexism, racism, and rape itself are being stretched out further and further to encompass more and more things and scenarios. The masses, mostly taking their cues from corporate media and sports and Hollywood icons, are readily changing along with it. There is a certain glee involved in pointing out anything that can be construed as offensive today. The "offense" is like a treasure hunt and all the kids are out looking for it.

The modern "politically correct" citizen is not a revolutionary against evils in the real world, but he or she who can yell offense first and loudest.

13. The thing is, they are actually doing a disservice to real victims of these crimes. When you redefine words like "violence" "rape" and even "harassment" to mean basically whatever you want them to mean, you water down the impact those words have.

14. This ^

Hate seeing people use the word rape to mean something unpleasant or bad. So fucked up. Seen it on gc too many times

15. Because 1 in 5 women on college are raped or incomplete raped!

Seriously, I was told this in a bullshit course I had to take as a freshman in college. I guess if you count rape as drunk and or regrettable sex.

16. That's the big one going on these days, regrettable sex. It also ties in with what I said earlier in the forum about people being gleeful to feel "offended". They are on the lookout to fit into whatever the latest social justice warrior trend is and as such would play the rape card if it can possibly be construed that way.

The Occidental College case gained some fame but not nearly enough. I feel for any young man navigating this kind of college environment today.
    https://reason.com/blog/2014/06/04/occidental-expe...

This is of course where diehard lefties get outraged and call it victim blaming. The sad irony of their convictions is that they fail to realize that in the case of false rape accusations, the so called victim is actually the perpetrator of the crime being committed.

17. Good day and age to be an American white male. So many privileges!

18. Clearly this is what happens when we let those uppity womenfolk go to college and get ideas! :laughing:

19. Yes.
    6 out of 4 women you know WILL be raped today.

It'll most likely happen at the job where she is only making 30 cents per $5 that men are making on the hour.

This is ALL fact because my affirmative action placed women's studies teacher told me so.
    Beat that CisPrivPatriarchs