N.J. teacher suspended over third-graders get well letters to convicted cop killer Mumia Abu-Jamal

Discussion in 'Politics' started by garrison68, Apr 11, 2015.

1. There is actually a street named after convicted killer Mumia Abu-Jamal, in France. 

2. #2 SmokinP, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2015
    Where are you going with this thread Garrison ?

Are you outraged at the actions of this teacher or outraged that she has been suspended ?

Mumai has huge support worldwide, there is a widespread belief that his conviction was politically motivated...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumia_Abu-Jamal

3. #3 garrison68, Apr 11, 2015
    The first time I ever heard of Abu-Jamal,  was in Amsterdam, in the 1990's,  where there was a march in support of him.  

He confessed to the murder, while in the hospital after the shooting, and said that he hoped that the cop would die.  He got his wish.  

He was convicted, and has been unable to get it overturned - despite having the best criminal defense attorney minds in the world working for him.  He was originally sentenced to death, but that was reduced to life, a few years ago. 

This teacher is probably going to get booted out of the school system where this happened, and there's not a damn thing wrong with that.  

4. #4 SmokinP, Apr 11, 2015
    I too am well aware of Mumai and the cause celeb that he is.
    He seems to have some how attracted a cult following due to his association with the Panthers and his very well articulated writing, etc etc...

To me he seems guilty as fuck and what looks like a very cut and dry case has attracted the "pink" hipsters who latch on to cases like this and it has all taken a life of it's own.

The teacher in question here is an obvious misguided pink hipster.

5. Love and forgiveness

❤️

6. #6 garrison68, Apr 11, 2015
  7. A lot of people know the name of Mumia Abu-Jamal,  probably millions.   How many of those people know the name of the young police officer that he was convicted of murdering?  His name was Daniel Faulkner. 

8. Somehow, I detect a bit of sarcasm here.  Read the book that I recommended and then tell me that he's innocent.  

9. I have not studied the murder case, so I do not know enough about it to have an informed opinion.

However, I dislike the teacher using her students that way! Teaching kids to write "get well" letters is admirable, but her choice of recipients is, at the best, questionable! Sending "get well" letters to the nearest Children's Hospital, would have been a much better idea!  

Her using the children in her care to promote her political agenda was "dirty pool" and I expect the majority of the parents will want her head on a stake because of it!  The parents should have been informed of such a "hot potato" assignment, and given the option of opting their child out- just like they handle sex ed.

I wonder just how bright (or fanatical) she actually is? She has just thrown away her career, and likely, any chance of financial security. (you know some parents will sue her) for something that will make absolutely no difference.

10. Nope.

For once we are singing from the same song sheet Garrison. :)

11. I do not even want to know how that bottle got in there. 

12. #13 Messiah Decoy, Apr 11, 2015
    When it comes to convictions like Mumia's I am very skeptical of the cop's version of events.

Cops lie, suspects lie.

For that reason I will neither fully believe or fully dismiss allegations without video evidence.

Regardless of how I feel about Mumia's case or politics this teacher was wrong to use students to push her extremely divisive agenda. Obviously this kind of fringe activism shouldn't be forced on people's kids.

13. What about a book by an impartial investigator?

Not from the shooting victim's wife. You might as well use a book written by the Philly police union.

14. #15 garrison68, Apr 11, 2015
    It's fine to be skeptical, of the police.   The courts do not want anybody on a jury that believes everything a cop says just because he's a cop.  They ask potential jurors questions like that.  This man was tried, convicted and sentenced to death for a killing, but had his death penalty judgement commuted due to pressure from various people and groups.  

As StormCrow said, having a classroom of kids write get-well letters to him was inexcusable. 

15. Cops should be killed. They need something to help keep their actions in line

16. 3edgy7me

17. There's no need for her to lie.  In a case of worldwide notoriety such as this one, don't you think that every crack criminal defense attorney and investigator in the country would like to be the one to clear Abu-Jamal of his conviction?   He has had the support of so many organizations and famous individuals, that if there was even a smidgen of  a chance that he was wrongly imprisoned, his conviction would have been overturned by now.   Much of the support he gained was also by anti-death penalty advocates, who do not care whether the convict is guilty or innocent, they're fighting the death penalty sentence, not the conviction. 

You should note that most of the eyewitnesses that testified against Abu-Jamal were not cops, they were just random passers by who really had to stake in lying in court.

And I mean, he was found with a bullet from the cop's gun in him and the murder weapon was the revolver lying next to him. There's no doubt that he killed the man, so the only possible defense would be that he killed Faulkner in self defense, which I guess the 1982 jury found unlikely.

19. Kids should not be writing to criminals as a classroom assignment. I don't know if this guy is guilty or innocent but I do know he has some pretty well thought out recordings on youtube.