Need help keeping bong clean

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by RazzleberryCake, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Hey everyone, im still pretty new here but i need some help. i love smoking out of my bong, but it is always dirty. I will clean it so that it looks new, use it for one smoke sesh, and its dirty again. And i mean really dirty. Ive found a few ways to help stop bits of plant falling through, but somehow it eventually finds its way. Im sure everyone here loves ripping a nice clean bong, so my question for those tokers is, how do you keep your bong clean?

I bought an ash catcher, which did absolutely nothing(at first). then i had the great idea to throw a bunch of airsoft bb's into it, helping diffuse the smoke, and to help catch/clog the downstem of the AC, all to keep shit from reaching the bong. But even with this, my bong still gets wet chuncks of tree all throughout my bong. 

ill add some pics of my bong(after one use from being cleaned) and AC(havnt cleaned in a while, trying to keep dirty to help catch more falling pieces).

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attached Files:

2. Do you use screens? If not you should invest in some.

No I dont. ive never used one, but i always hear that they give a bad taste, the metal ones atleast. I guess i should try it first, but what do you think? does it taste bad? I was also thinking about getting some of those glass gauzes/screens. Do those work? I never knew what size to get, so i never got any.

4. Naw they dont change the taste at all and they will stop u from pulling plant matter through the bong

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app while high as fuck

5. They don't add taste to it. Screens are amazing.

6. Am I seeing your using air soft bb's in the water chamber? People do that? Where's the water at? I'm confused.....

7. ok, thanks, im gonna order some screens now.

and yes those are airsoft bb's. people usually put diffuser beads in the base to help diffuse the smoke and make a smoother hit. I didnt want to spend the money on real diffuser beads, so I used some air soft bb's i had laying around. They work great. I also normally put water in there, but poured it out before taking the picture! 

That's pretty cool I guess, never heard of it.

But, if you use water, and clean it out with every use. And don't store it for long periods of time with used water in it, then you should be able to keep it pretty clean. The water will catch everything sucked in then will go down your drain when you dump it out. For more optimal cleaning results use Dawn soap and a sponge and start scrubbing. You can buy some badass specialty brushes online for cleaning wine bottles and beer bottles and shit. Check it out.

http://www.morebeer.com/products/brush-wine-bottle-good-beer.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw6Z2pBRCmvaXq6d7FjUoSJAAc5Lri9v8m30nG8j7eRj_OQObRk-iwpB-l8ldoDM0S92ghlhoCfRXw_wcB

9. #9 Mayhem Inc, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    Yeah, I know a lot of people use rubbing alcohol and salt to clean their pieces.

10. Two words for you. "Glass Screen"
    Any smoke shop has them. I've also used metal screens before they work just as well but are larger.

11. A screen will not stop resing going into your bong, it will stop chunks of flowers but your pieces are always going to end up gettign dirty.

My secret trick is after cleaning i chuck abit of olive oil in there and swirl it around so it coats all he glass, i find this seems to stop resin being attarcted to the glass as much.
    I clean my pieces after after session tho.

Chef.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GRUNGE OFF and Recycler

In my house we have about 8 pieces actively being used and out on tables and such. Each night when we have our final smoke before bed we dump out the water in each piece we have been using all day, and flood each piece with fast moving cold water. This gets all the plant matter out. Each piece is soaked once weekly overnight in grunge off. Grunge off can be bought at most head shops and it is about $15 a bottle. One bottle gets reused and recycled many times. We use one bottle per month to keep 8 or so pieces not only clean but glistening from the inside glass.

Also If you have the money try to get an ashcatcher with a Recycler or a water pipe with a recycler. It will make it so that the water from the first diffusion doesn't transfer into the main chamber for the second diffusion. And since your plants won't travel through the air this keeps your water pipes main chamber clean all day.

13. #13 Southeast stoner, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
    If you look at your ash catcher the downstem to it is not long enough thus the water with plant material is going straight into the bong. Gotta go with a screen, a glass one if you don't want metal. Cheers

-Your point is as pointless as describing colors to a blind man.-

14. If you put a few drops of lemon juice in your bong water, it helps to keep the brown resin from sticking to the glass. You don't have to pour gallons in with your water, just about a capful at most.

15. Glass screens, waterless a/c, carbon filters...try some of these.

16. Like everyone has already said screens are a must, if you're worried about the taste of metal you could even get yourself a glass gauze. This will keep all of the burnt debris out of your bong but doesn't really help much with lime build up, dirt or resins.

When cleaning a glass water pipe with a brush, the glass surface will be scratched again and again, even if you can't see it at first. This is aesthetically not pleasing and will also reduce the life-span of your pipe - the surface will no longer be smooth and dirt can collect more easily in these fine scratches. Also, as the surface is hurt, the pipe will break more easily. 

I'd recommend an alcohol based bong cleaner they are super easy to use and highly efficient - http://fave.co/1EYRbKI

Also, Because of our tap water being so hard, lime-deposits will gather with time on the surface of the glass. This results in the glass becoming dull and dirty. So if you really want to step your game up and keep your bong extra clean, i'd have to say to shoot for an Anti-Lime Solution - http://fave.co/1HN2PMf

17. Lol all these weird remedies , grunge off and a carbon fiber filter is all youll ever need .

Grunge off is a reusable glass cleaner which doesnt even need to be mixed , just let it sit and forget untill you want to clean it.

As for the carbon fiber filter , itll be the only ashcatcher youll ever need, it catches i would say about 90% of plant particles leaving only the good stuff. It also makes bong cleaning easy because it catches all the ashes and resins. I got mines for 20 $ and a big batch of carbon for 20$ - all in all the best buy yet.

Everything else you do will help lessen the dirt but the carbon fiber will prevent it and the grunge off will make cleaning your bong easy.

18. You can use glass screens,
    Always rinse your glass well after each sesh to keep build up as low as possible,
    You could invest in some RezBlock,
    Or you can do any combination of those along with a weekly (or so) cleaning

19. Yes a SCREEN. I'm going through a break in process with a bowl. And can't wait until the screen sticks

Also a CARBON FILTER. Got one off of greenbuddashop.com . I got a carbon adapert with bilt in glass dome screen, a k clip, and a wack load of carbon for $15 shipped. And am about to try it out tonight....

From what I've herd they keep the bong pretty clean. This link is for roors version but rilly they are all the same http://forum.grasscity.com/bongs-bubblers-water-pipes/288715-roor-carbon-filter-review.html . I think on page 3 a guy posts a before and after pic. His bowl and adapter where black. but the down stem and bong where clean.

Other then that the easiest way to keep it clean is to give it shelf queen status. .:).

20. lots of good suggestions try as many as you can and see what works for you. My only adds would be trying to freeze the bb's before use colder surfacers will catch more gunk on them then warmer ones. However I would suggest nothing is easier to clean and tastes any better then a well maintained glass pipe. After every use I empty my piece, rinse with water then ISO and then do a final rinse with the local bottled water. Take a little more time (3 minutes or so) but the piece is always hitting clean.