I Like Big Beds I Can Not Lie

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by ladyluckybean, Apr 8, 2015.

1. #81 ladyluckybean, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    Better late than never but you've made me feel welcome from the start; even if you didn't know it. :)

A lot of the brix growers don't say much about it but two of them share quite a bit. Then I read this thread about Plant Sap 6.4 pH by another guy but he doesn't talk anymore because people make fun of them because it's not very accepted I guess. Too bad cause I feel that a lot if it makes sense. I'll have to jump on your thread. I have just learned some basic stuff.

Happy 420 to you and everyone!! I'm making butter tonight. I plan on baking all day so expect peechurs [​IMG]

I'm checking my EM5 today and ordering lacewing eggs and nematodes. I always have fungus gnats so this is the best thing to use according to Davis University IPM. The lacewings had a good review for attacking anything it can and eating eggs. Those "springtails" are thrips. The lacewings are a voracious eater and when pests are not present they'll survive off of beneficial insect food called Wheast but you can make it with honey, water and brewers yeast in equal amounts to make a paste you put on wooden stakes and put in the soil. You can use hummingbird food or sugar water too. Then since neem or most pesticides are not usable because they'll kill them, I can use the EM1 & 5 rotating weekly to repel and boost immunity. I discussed it with the beneficial insect guy I was friends with who said it should work well. The lacewing larvae will bite with their earwig type pinchers so I am getting some rose gardeners gloves the go up to your elbows. I'm such a wuss.

2. #82 FinerMarijuana, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    Let me get caught up haha! I was only missing for a day, and now I see that I need to devote some attention to what I've missed haha!
    Just popping my head in for now, but I'll be back later tonight to read thru everything and see what I missed in class [​IMG]
    Info looks golden tho [​IMG] I'll be back with all 2 cents hahaha

Take care LLB

3. https://youtu.be/NqFSYvhS788

I've been told to get this for foliar sprays although it most likely would not work for microbial based sprays. its really reasonable. I know everyone is about the chapin but does it create a fog like this??

I also ordered ultrasonic foggers for both rooms for a DIY humidifier that is powerful enough for any size grow room depending on how many heads you have on your fogger. instead of ordering a five disk fogger, I ordered 3 one disk foggers that will output the same mL per hour dispersal of humidity as a five headed one and saved money. I bought them at house of hydro and it comes with the whole cord as compared to amazon or ebay which doesn't include the wall electric plug. each one was $30 and hydro house is supposed to be a fairly good place to order from. i'll make a video or take some pics of how I'm making it.

have a good 420 folks! [​IMG]

4. Nice thread LLB! mind if I sub in for the show?

5. #85 ladyluckybean, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    Not at all TJ :) come one, come all!

I forgot to mention I picked up some orange mint from the mmj farmers market yesterday! Smells so good! He had apple mint too?! I picked orange so I can use it for IPM.

I checked my EM5 today but it's not at 3.8-4 pH. I can't add it back in the fermenting bottle so I just used it instead to foliar down the girls. Sprayed my mulch and clover seedlings as well as walls and floor.

I fell asleep and burnt my bud butter :( probably have to spend half the day scraping burnt plant from the bottom. I got some Cali-O x grand daddy purp and it smells EXACTLY like rhubarb?! It's really good with a bit of sour! Pretty sleepy tho Zzz Zzz

6. #86 SoCal Nature Farmer, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
    Garden is looking great, hope all has been well for you and yours! Sorry to hear about the burnt butter!! Happy 420 though, hope you still had plenty of great things to consume today!

Sux and I was really looking forward to those peechurs!! Haha

7. #87 ladyluckybean, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    it was an interesting day to say the least. since none of you know whats been going on before I joined GC, I can give you a quick glimpse. about a month and a half ago, a man was attacking women in our neighborhood and one night my neighbor had a man walk into her home in the middle of the day and attack her but she fought him off. the police came to my house to investigate to see if we had heard anything. when they came to the house, the fans were running full blast being all noisy and it was pretty obvious I'm mixing soil cause the driveway is littered with soil bags, bulk amendments, a kiddie pool, 10 garbage cans and a cement mixer with loads of containers all around with stems cut off. I freaked out when they said they wanted me to call them which I never did. so nothing came of it, I secured the fan noise (sorta) and I still haven't picked up the driveway because I swear I haul it all back out there every other week.

so today, I just laid down to take a 420 nap and theres a knock at the door?! I walk over there and see a police car in my driveway. AT LEAST I wasn't smoking pot at the time and there wasn't 100 clones on the counter right in plain view. so happy I finished that this morning. well, he is still investigating?! I guess the other neighbors on the opposite side said we had info on a past incident and maybe that person was the guy who attacked her? then the cop said, "Hey, didn't you go to the high school I was a school cop at years and years ago?" you've got to be kidding me?! yes that is me and how are you? oh you don't remember the time you pulled me over with a soda can pipe and a sack of nugs on the floor you blind asshat? lol

so afterwards I couldn't sleep much and then ended up passing out with my pipe in my lap until 7pm. I didn't get to cook anything, do anything and it was dark when I woke up basically. pretty disappointed with how the day turned out.

I was going to make stuffed pepper enchiladas [​IMG] add pineapple and lime juice with the cilantro for an extra sweet sour flavor.

http://www.onelovelylife.com/mexican-stuffed-peppers-with-quinoa-black-beans/

[​IMG]

that is the recipe mine is based off of. I don't have an exact recipe but I add a little of this or that and it turns out delish each time.

for the 420 dessert, I really don't have a lot of sweet making stuff right now, bikini season is upon us lol so I just can't justify eating a treat unless I put some pot in it. I was going to try and bake some marbled cheesy garlic bread I know miguelovic loves.

I hope everyone had a better day than I did. lol

I'm just happy that cop that keeps coming here is a moron.

8. Now THAT is some craziness!!! I hope that you are safe and nothing happens with either that crazy guy busting in peoples houses. Or the police deciding to come for info at thee most convenient of times! Like everyone doesn't know what today is haha! Well at least there is always tomorrow, I like to joke around and say "see we can make any day we want a holiday, just have to keep the positive mindset and just have fun". So tomorrow you can do your own mini 420, hell I'll party with ya! Haha those stuffed peppers look goooOoOOOoodd!

9. it's either the peppers or stuffed hamburgers. I got high one day and thought that I had came up with this brilliant idea for putting a slice of cheddar in between two thin beef patties that I squeezed together. I made it for a couple years before someone said, "Oh Rachael Ray's burgers?" OMG heheh

so here's a video showing you how to make the burgers. I add just cheddar but you can also add sautéed onions and bacon bits or whatever your stoned heart desires. I've also made a bbq cheeseburger meatloaf by adding sticks of cheddar to spots as I build the loaf. this is what originally started the idea because my cheese would always slide off with the bbq sauce when I placed it on top but in the middle, when you cut it in slices, it is perfect and pretty as a peechur!

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/videos/v/50454907/how-to-make-a-stuffed-burger.htm

10. #90 FinerMarijuana, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    Hey LLB, Happy belated 4/20 [​IMG]

Thanks for the knowledge bomb from earlier [​IMG]
    I was a member at another forum a while back, and it's the only place that I've seen the brix guys really establish roots and take off lol.
    Seems like they have a descent amount of ppl on board, despite the criticism!

And that's a pita that the state stopped by for questions on 4/20. Hopefully they didn't smell anything and plan to start poking around and doing other kinda "get a warrenttt" (misspelled on purpose) type things...Can't say I would have "been home" at the time he stopped by lol..Or, I might have been sleeping or getting dressed lol, and had to catch he as he was getting back in his car, away from my front door haha [​IMG]

Stuffed Peppers are looking pretty dank too [​IMG]

edit:Also a pita you got thrips :/ Now I'm anxious to see how you work it out :)
    Good luck, tho I'm sure you got this!

11. the first couple times I've gotten bugs, I would get really upset like the world was going to end LOL but now, I'm just like eh....its my fault for getting lazy. I also grow outside in the garage so that doesn't help at all. I'm sure the weather which has warmed up considerably the past 2-3 weeks has a lot to do with it too. all the pests I've gotten were mites so this is a new one for me. clones are bad news. LOL

I wouldn't want to let him wander around my place if I didn't answer the door. I considered it but I'm sure he could hear me tell the dog to shut up before I even saw it was him. as far as big plants go, I'm well within my numbers but it's outdoor season and everyone wants clones. I have 6 giant mums that I have no where to fit and so they're outside under 13 hours of lights. its a PITA to light dep and still risk mold issues around these parts. I'm up by Canada sorta so the growing season is only 2 months with possibly of summer thunder showers which is what took out growers last year. they won't finish in time if I let them go naturally. So I decided to chop them up into lots of clones. I can donate to other patients and whats left over can go into the ground when the freeze possibility is over. might make them a cold frame but this way they will stay short so it will be easier to pull a tarp over them rather than the 3-4 ft tall ones they once were. then there's the clones for sexing the seedlings I just culled. I wanted to use them to get some seeds and identify sex just in case I didn't do it right. so if they found those which are in another room, I would be SCREWED. maybe i'll bring them over to another house.

I'm not worried. if they were going to do anything, I think it would be the time he came first when it was noisy from running three 435 cfm fans at the same time right next to the door he knocked on. apparently I think I'm invincible LOL. but better safe than sorry. I'm going to move them today. I need to set up a light dep for the unsexed clones anyways.

anyone know of any good setups for cabs for breeding? I've looked around at the other forum and didn't see anything that doesn't use power tools LOL. all I gots is a screw driver drill.

12. Yeah, the only bugs I've ever had around the plants myself are fungus gnats, but I've seen all kinda craziness in my worm bins haha!
    But I've seen a some bugs here in the tent this time around, so I know I have a few species of mite and some springtails for sure tho.
    What do you do to make sure they're not bugging the plants? I look underneath the lowest leaves on my plants like everyday haha, just to make sure they're content in the soil :)

But I was just talking out loud in regards to the guy stopping by on 4/20 haha. I'm sure you've got it all under control!
    I will remind you tho that you're not invincible lol. Write it down and recite it till it gets stuck haha.

And I've got nothing for ya in regards to a breeding cab sorry :/ But I've always fancied seeing what I could do with a wardrobe box :) 

^^^That hyperlink will take you to Walmart Wardrobe boxes, but you can just google it or go to the website if you're not into clicking links haha

Speak sooner than later :)

13. How do I keep em off the plants? In the past, I got then when u was using synthetics in hydro so the mites I got from my first plants, I bought Nuke Em, an OMRI contact killer. It worked with two sprays. It's what I love and works as a fungicide too. It's pretty caustic to the leaves if you apply it frequently.

Each time I've had bugs, my soil or nutrients were not up to par. My first organic round had mites too. They got hit pretty hard too.

This time though, I honestly did not know I had an issue until there was quite a few bugs. The leaves are not harmed though. Well a little but this has been going in a while. The leaves are so bushy on this strain it's hard to get coverage so that's why I am trying out some beneficial insects that are known to be voracious. Hopefully it works cause there are mixed reviews. I'll post some pics soon when I turn the lights on. The leaves have really got that shiny look to them so I'm guessing they've climbed the pyramid ladder for plant immunity I shared a bit ago.

The bugs/nemotodes and humidifier will arrive tomorrow and the day after. I've been spraying a rotation of stuff until they get here. The EM5 spray worked better than my Nuke Em go to pesticide. There were little larva or eggs that wouldn't come off after sprays. I was concerned I might be missing some and that's why I kept finding them under the leaves. The EM5 removed everything. I looked for a bit this morning and the undersides are clean. If it's not the organisms it is the whiskey and vinegar.

I also bought 2 row malted barley and four gallon jugs with fermenting air locks so I can kiss my ghetto milk jug setup good bye! Costs about $7-8 for all the doohickeys and growler. 10 lbs if barley for $1.29 per lb. I already got my first SST brewing and I added some kelp meal and alfalfa with fulhumex. I'm the queen of a little of this, a little of that recipes lol!!

14. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Pretty plants and :yummy: food :blink: I like this thread :metal:

For thrips, some spinosad ought to do the trick. Have you been doing neem/karanja oil sprays for IPM?

16. #96 ladyluckybean, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    everytime I've used it, I've burned my plants. i use the ahimsa brand neem and follow directions but they seem to not like it. I know everyone loves it and I'm sure it's effective on most pests but i have to wonder how spraying a horticultural oil effects transpiration/stomatas? Also, Microbeman responded to a thread I asked him to about using neem and how it effects soil life. his response was that he believes that a fungicide such as neem would not be beneficial to fungi in your soil. sounds plausible to me. he doesn't use any neem in his soil and only uses it if he has an infestation.

So i should probably admit that i did not use the neem in coots recipe. no fungus gnats either this time around. I've used neem seed meal in the past in soil and it didn't make a difference. University of Davis IPM said the best defense against soil pests like gnats is to use nemotodes; so they will be here tomorrow. I'm applying them to all three beds instead of relying on bti bits or neem.

imo, if i am making contact with the bug when i spray neem, wouldn't it be better to use a contact killer rather than a growth regulator? either way, the stuff makes contact with the pest and the contact killers do not have an oily residue that can inhibit photosynthesis and transpiration.

what I'm hoping for is that the EM1 and EM5/garlic/lavender FPE combo rotated weekly will boost plant immunity and repel to be as effective as neem oil. will be fun to watch considering i got some bugs to deal with. when i am using the beneficial insects, spraying with EM1 is okay and will actually benefit the good insects while repelling bad ones. curious how that works and when the pests are gone (fingers crossed) will this be an effective IPM plan for making them resistant to future attacks.

before this for IPM, I was using dr bronners sprays with essential oils added on rotation.

17. LLB, I had an issue with Ahimsa neem oil when I first got it. It's too strong at the suggested rate, so I use 1 tbsp per gal and it's perfect. My ladies love it. Leaf shine all the way. I only spray at lights out, or during veg I'll shut the lights off for four hours after spraying in the daytime. I also mix neem and karanja 50/50. I mix first with Pro Tekt to emulsify, then slowly add a little warm water while stirring, then mix in and keep shaking while spraying. Oil spots will definitely burn!
    I've had infestations three times over five years, and if took two rounds of neem both times, but they were 100% gone.
    I'm not knocking your EM products as I like those also, and have used them. Just sharing an experience.
    Your screen looks nice!

18. constructive criticism and advice is always welcome. :)

i think my issue is keeping it mixed up in the sprayer. i have a 2 gallon pump sprayer and i don't shake it like they say you should. just seems like so much work. you even gotta work while you're spraying it lol. Many people swear by it so I'm sure it works well. the 50/50 mix is supposed to be more effective than just applied by themselves. probably not as effective as putting filters on all the openings of the tent; but close.

the pics of the plants look crappy when i uploaded them but the pic on the camera looks great [​IMG] The leaves are very shiny and you would never know there were buggers in there. hehe i had no clue for a bit. flipped a leaf over and was like ERMAHGERD?! [​IMG]

19. Chapin's are great if you like hauling a tank around or prefer large droplet spray...

Prefer fogger types like that myself. Better coverage with the finer spray. Easy to modify the small tank to a backpack or hose end if need be. Bit pricey though, and a wand is easier with a screen.

There are a few garbage can grow builds about. Any soft plastic like that is easy to cut without power tools. With a skill saw you could build a bitchin' one out of plexi, but the blade lock is dick-activated. Might be able to find something prefab at a salvage yard or the like.

Fuckin' eh for garlic bread. Pan fried cheese toast makes good munchos.

Oh yeah. Check the nematodes for signs of life. Still a dodgy time of year to order, and most retailers can't verify they're selling a living product.

20. That's weird about the neem burning your plants! Mine pray and shine whenever I spray em. They love de shit.

Have you tried karanja oil? I don't think i'll be buying neem again. The karanja is much easier to work with :)