I Like Big Beds I Can Not Lie

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by ladyluckybean, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Really love the Cali O, do you mind posting a few pictures of her as she goes along? Id really like to follow along, should be getting a Cali O myself here soon and id like to get a base idea of what to expect. Thanks again and subbed :)

2. It's California Orange Bud x Sour Bubble which I was told that most crosses with SB are SB dominant. I'm about to go out there and see if any boys have shown. No Cali Oranges have showed sex yet :(

image.jpg image.jpg

I'll take some more later. It's still pretty early here. I need dinner then the girls will get showed off.

3. #43 ladyluckybean, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So above is the strain I'm talking about for the thread ATM. This is a UW Purp crossed with an afghani indica. i really can't say anything bad about her. She grows vigorously, easy to please, you don't have to pinch the tips to make her bushy as she does it all on her own. the taste is outstanding and the high is couchlock fall asleep with pain relief.

So below is when i first transplanted the seedlings into 1 gallons and i had all the older plants in there too. these are on a 3x3 low tide dtw tray from botanicare. $28 at the hydro store. i drilled a hole in the bottom so the channels divert it to drain into a bowl that collects run off and then i dump. they out grew this very quick. the seedlings started to stretch really bad despite having 1400 watts of MH shining down. i wasn't using a 1000w ballast at the time so i took out the 600w and plugged in the 1000w. this hood is freaking amazing!

F[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gotta have fresh aloe plants. nothings better than fresh compost tea fed aloe. these things are spoiled rotten. you can pick them up at any nursery or home depot for $3 for a start and they grow pretty quick i suppose. they don't harbor pests like most plants so i think a good look over and a fresh transplant into some dirt is fairly safe.

[​IMG]

4. #44 ladyluckybean, Apr 12, 2015
    So i should probably tell ya a little about me. I live in the PNW where its green and moldy. The PNW is filled with character; not only the town but the culture here is just uh.....quirky.

[​IMG]

Here's my back yard! if you walk far enough in, there are places no man has walked before. Theres some ultimate forest duff to be collected soon! I have chickens and live on a farm. we have no electric heat and use a wood stove. I'm pretty rural but not far from society. I'm just simple folk who like to have bon fires and go shooting, fishing, camping, hiking, and get high as phuk.

[​IMG]

I love to bake, make candy, roast, fry, you name it, I can cook it!

[​IMG]

5. #45 ladyluckybean, Apr 12, 2015
    my health issues and why i use medicine is that lung cancer runs in my family, i smoke and therefore have had to have a part of my tongue biopsied earlier this year. it's not cancerous but it can turn into cancer.

maybe i should show you the latest buds i've grown. take warning, i'm not a pro and this is bongaloids mix halved with a 2-4-3 fish based dry amendments mix. it worked out okay i guess. the first round with just the 2-4-3, the plants turned deep dark purple around the 4th week. everyone said how pretty they looked but it was warm and there shouldn't be a reason this strain should've turned that color as the next few times afterwards, she was green and fading correctly at the right time. These though, i'm pretty proud of. what it took to get here, i am pleased with my progress and in another 6 months of growing, I should be even better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres the severe stunting i get when i transplant and flip at the same time. i have some more pics to share but i'm saving them for another day.

[​IMG]

6. Lovely amount of action since I last stopped by :) 
    Looking phenomenal :)

7. That is not the font I picked out and previewed?! Ugh

Thanks! I'll put some more up tonight. Show how I built the beds in the tent. Maybe my bigger gals in 10 gallons :)

8. Now you're on the trolley, looks good in here now. Except that recycled picture of baked coilers :D

9. #49 ladyluckybean, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    Fine :D I can make something yummy for 4/20 and my B-Day!

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. How I designed my beds for the 4x8 tent that has one on each side.

First, I knew that I was going to use Blumats so I had to have a tray to catch water if they became runaway drippers. I'm not really concerned about this because the mulch really helps disperse the water and it seems to soak in the hydrophobic peat better than without since the topsoil stays moist.

Second, I knew I wanted a scrog net that sits 1 foot above the soil line of the bed, so i made the corners 2 feet tall. The tray is 4x4 with 2x4 walls.

Third, I don't have any power tools but my brother does [​IMG]

So I used the drill to screw in the screws as far down as i could and basically put the bed i designed together but he came by and took five minutes to finish off the final touches. He's more than helpful if i tell him that I need more drill bits [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I put it in the tent all by myself, cut some pond liner I bought at Home Depot, cut some slits for the corners to accommodate the corner sides, then laid it out. It was kinda tough to get it in the right spot without shifting it out of spot on another side, so I got a full bottle of bleach which was handy at the moment and put it in a corner where it should line up correctly and then adjusted it that way which really helped. Then I got wire fencing and cut a peice 3 rectangles tall and wrapped it around the sides to create a wall to hold up the fabric bed.

the bed's dimensions is 4'x4'x12" fabric and 4'x4'x2'.

[​IMG]

These beds have recycled soil amended 50/50 with new soil that has a mix of bongaloid mix and 2-4-3 fish/mineral mix. I planted the seedling in recycled dirt ammended with oly fish compost. i thought that would be enough but they started getting yellow tips like they were iron deficient. at first when i saw the yellowing I thought i just need more nitrogen but that wasn't the case. So i put a top mulch of EWC and then watered in molasses, fish hydrolysate and potassium silicate. I didn't figure this out until the plants were starting to yellow from the top down which is opposite of nitrogen which travels upwards. The molasses and EWC slurry has really seemed to help. I want to get them in the beds asap. I reammended today by adding the mineral mix and nutrients from the coots mix and then watered it in. I also mixed it up with a garden tool and was really surprised on when i watered the topsoil looked saturated but when i went to mix it up, it was very dry. The worms were at the surface of the soil that had some moisture left when I peeled back the panda I used to sit the seedlings on while I sexed them.

if you want some good videos that show you how to identify nutrient issues I have some that have especially helped me. i find it easier to see everything explained at once instead of tackling issues as they arise. on with the videos!!

http://www.greenhousegrower.com/video/fertilizer-nutrition/identifying-nutrient-deficiencies-made-easy/

http://www.greenhousegrower.com/video/fertilizer-nutrition/identifying-nutrient-deficiencies-made-easy-part-ii/

http://www.greenhousegrower.com/video/fertilizer-nutrition/immobile-elements-identifying-nutrient-deficiencies-made-easy/

[​IMG]

I put them into bloom about a week almost it seems. The first day i checked I had two girls that immediately showed pistils on the Legends Ultimate Idica G13 HP cross. I have sexed almost half of them and I have found a lot of boys. I pulled a few that I think will turn into girls today. I'm almost certain. lets hope I'm right before I have a scrogged male. I have scrogged out several strains on one screen and it really isn't that big of deal for me to separate them. I cut one plant down at a time and remove it from the net with all the branches still intact. that is what makes it so easy to do.

I also lollipopped the scrogged out bed and when I was done, I was really shocked at how much leafy bushiness below the net had made the scrog appear completely filled out almost. Now it looks pretty bare so I'm just going to extend veg time. no big deal. I really want to have a large root base for when i flip into bloom. the 100 gallons should have big roots yes? lol 
    [​IMG]

11. Niiiice Stevebomb! I'm really glad you joined the show! I'm about to show off some of my old bud shots to amuse and delight! [​IMG]

Durban Bubble (Durban Poison x Blue Moon Rocks)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. #54 FinerMarijuana, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Whispers in her ear, "Hurry and open up Teaming with Nutrients!"
    I SWEAR this book put a lot of things into perspective [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing the bed build and the nice flowers! How much did it cost you to make that bed?

13. #55 ladyluckybean, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015

oooh nice! took a looksie and wish i could get mine that full! I trimmed a bit heavy but today when I poked my head in after about 12 hours and was overjoyed to see that she responded really well and filled in a lot. I trained for a few minutes today. I made a short video on how i scrog my plants. I can make a better one with this scrog. This one was using some plants that i just threw in there to get rid of. so i wasn't trying to scrog them really but it shows the basic ideas. 

https://youtu.be/xjWy-rvfhnI

Not too much. I think the plywood was $25?? pond liner was about $50 the 2x2 corners and scrog frame are just a couple bucks. the plywood is 4x8 so that is both bases and then the 2x2 is also 8 ft so this was really simple to have the guy cut for me at the store. I also bought a small piece of plywood to cover a window that is open and filtered to keep out light. I asked the tool rental guy to cut me a 6" hole too so i just have to screw it together when i'm finished.

I started the first chapter but i've found his books rather dry and i really have to force myself through them. i might skip the first couple chapters and dive into the nutrient stuff i think it's in chapter 3 or 4. i've skimmed the first chapter and i can recollect something about this in biology and chemistry waaaaayy back when i was a wee girl. lol

14. #56 FinerMarijuana, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    Haha yeah Teaming with Microbes is like reading a children's book in comparison to reading Teaming with Nutrients.
    I got TWM(microbes) totally after reading it maybe twice over and looking through it for a month or so, and this with no farming background.
    TWN(nutrients) on the other hand was WITHOUT A DOUBT one that I had to force myself thru, but in listening to my buddy and all he'd learned after he'd read it, I knew i had to finish it, so I stuck it out! I think I read it for a couple months haha! Maybe three times all the way thru, and studied it for a couple months literally.
    It's one of those book where the stuff in the beginning seems irrelevant until it all comes together at once [​IMG]
    I'm due to go back thru it haha!

But if you feel overwhelmed a bit buy it, just stick it out :) It kicked my ass a few times! But I'm MUCH better for it!

And ok ok in regards to the bed. What made you have it built vs just buying a giant pot?

15. I will probably skip around, go back, then go forward, check back to see if I got it and maybe then I will fully grasp a small portion lol!

When I first put in beds (I've done it several times) the fabric pot edges would sag so the next time I tried to build a frame which didn't work. This one should be everything I want it to be...hopefully :D

It just frames the fabric "liner" so to speak. Like the outdoor Cali guys who build their 800 gallon beds. Just indoors :)

16. So today was sunny and beautiful!! I took an excursion around town picking up stuff and bullshitting with the local hippies. Bought some protek silica and fish hydrolysate at the hydro store where local hippy told me about the local peat bog i wasn't aware of and said that i could score some fulvic acid water from the washing and harvesting of the peat as a biproduct. word on the street here is that it isn't worth my time. While i was waiting for a response however i did look over the bottle of bioag fulvic acid i bought a while back and it says that it is a cold microbial fermentation which just sounds like EM1 fermentation to me. maybe i'll just learn how BioAG makes it, cause inquisitive minds wanna know :p

well after i got the hippy advice on the FA, I  strolled on over to the amendment store to get some alfalfa meal $4 for 5lbs and was lured over to a new display of you'll never guess....EM1. So, I just had to buy the real deal because it comes with four other microbes that the lacto serum obviously does not. Also a while back I bought some Microbe Life Photosynthesis Plus innoculate that was a little spendy considering how much you have to use but when you did use it, man could you see a response! So you could see why i would want to combine EM1 and the photosynthetic microbes because BOTH applied separately have been just plain amazing. What i really want it for is to make EM5 and that is specifically why I splurged and bought the real deal.

So i made EM5 tonight and i'm just now polishing off the R&R whiskey....... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I got all my ingredients out:
    3/4c EM1
    3/4c molasses
    3/4c vinegar
    3/4c distilled spirits
    plant material like garlic, hot peppers, or i picked lavender

[​IMG]

fill rest of gallon jug with 110-120F water  and seal with air lock. then ferment till below 4.0 pH which is around 3-5 days depending on batch size. the larger the batch the quicker it ferments; sometimes up to only 24 hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then after it ferments and is ready, then you apply it 1 part EM5 to 1000 parts water for a foliar spray and 1:500 for soil drench.

EM5 drenched plants are like repellant to pests who suffer intestinal intoxication from the vinegar and esters in the alcohol. Teraganix has recipes on their website on how to make this and other stuff. I plan on rotating with the EM1 and the EM5/lavender/garlic sprays. I'm not big on neem like everyone else and this offers the same exact benefits to the plant plus some extra goodies so i feel like it's an upgrade. of course my opinion on this is not popular but i want to try something different that makes sense to me. I also really like the biopesticides like baccilius T and S, Beauveria bassiana, etc.

Other than that, I saw someone who was rocking a MR CEC as a personalized license plate [​IMG] 

17. #59 FinerMarijuana, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    Look at you going on [​IMG]
    Thanks for sharing the process for sure!

18. i could go on and on and on but i feel like i'm a bit too excited over old news. [​IMG]

fishing season is starting so i'm going to save fish heads/parts from cleaning fish and maybe a throwback that didn't get tossed, most likely trout, and then I'm making some fish hydrolysate with the homemade lacto serum i'm about to start the second stage of culturing the lacto bacteria with the milk. no point in paying for photogenic bacteria to ferment fish guts. save he spendy real deal for pest resistance/plant immunity applications instead.

while i'm waiting for the EM5 to ferment, I'm going to give them their first foliar of the EM1, then the fermentation should be finished and i can use the EM5/lavender/garlic concoction next week. I don't want to type out the ingredients each time. [​IMG] Hrm... EM5FPE?

was also checking out pHarmerXxLEDxX journal and learned a bit more about why SST is so raved about. http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-grow-journals/1348187-pharmers-sustained-organic-living-adventure-w-hileds.html?p=21546206

waktoo also gave a great explanation on why bottled nutes are so bad. no one could answer this for me so i thought that is was based off of pure hatred for the hydro industry, but there's actually a logical explanation for all this.....finally. http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1365375-blue-dream-candyland-cali-orange-4th-grow.html?p=21552803

making some alfalfa/kelp tea today for tomorrow, culling the plants that won't show their sex today and transplanting into the beds, throwing down some crimson clover and hay, spraying everything down with EM1, then I'm going to call it a day!! whew! [​IMG]