Using Miracle Grow Perlite

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by almostgrower, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Title pretty much says it, I haven't heard to many good things about miracle grow but I work at Walmart & the only brand we sale is miracle grow , is there perlite not good either..?

2. Perlite is perlite, but all soils are not created equal. I have heard of MG organic soil, can you get that?  I grew in MG with nutes added and watered with more dilute nutes.  I was disappointed in the plants, but chopped them to early so who knows what would happen if I let them grow longer.  If that's all you can get go for it, use plenty of perlite.  Good luck.

3. Sorry. Not all perlite is equal.

Miracle Grow embeds their perlite with nutes. This will cause problems with balancing PH, nute burn and possibly stunted growth in the first 30-60 days of a seedling's life if it makes it that far. You'll need to cut back on nutes if you use MG perlite and perhaps make a top layer substrate with very little MG perlite.

You don't wanna use it because it has fertilizer in it. I'm sure you can find some on Walmart.com lol. And have them shipped to your store

5. Yea that's Wat I figured I'll probably just have them ship some different perlite to the store any suggested brands..

6. I suggest you check your local plant nurserys or order it off amazon. Almost anything would be better. Advanced nutrients has some pretty awesome nutes IMO and affordable, and sunshine #4 , fox farm, roots organic, hell they even make a soil called Ideal 420, it's all up to you man and how good you want your medicine to be.

7. #7 killset, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015
    Perlite is cheap and sold at pretty much any real gardening center, farm supply stores, hardware stores, grow shop. Stay away from the miracle grow perlite

8. MG does make a brand of pearlite without the added nutrients, the stuff i got is completely sterile

9. Iv been wondering about this for a while. As the only perlite I can find it MG. Last perlite I got was some "organic" crap for like 6$ for a small bag

10. #10 jay719, Apr 8, 2015
    Home depot sells bags of ormi certified perlite with nothing in it, and for $17 you get 2cf which is a bargain compared to the cost of mg perlite from WalMart. Damn near everything in a WalMart garden center is either low quality, over priced, or both.

11. #11 bladedsha, Apr 8, 2015
    The bag my friend was talking about for home depot they don't carry anymore.
    Green bag from like thermorock or something

12. just make sure if you decide to go for a new soil, make sure it doesn't have any slow release nutes in it

13. #13 Ẅest Čoast, Apr 8, 2015
    I believe miracle gro perlite has nutrients in it. You don't want that.

You can order some pumice from here http://buildasoil.com/products/pumice
    It's as good if not better than perlite and the shipping is free. 6lb for $10 shipped is a good deal.

14. Home Depot on florida still carries it. Just bought one a month ago. Good cheap stuff

Blunts, Bitches and Banjos