Ron Paul vs. Rand Paul - CNN Reports

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Green Wizard, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Washington (CNN)The launch of Sen. Rand Paul's presidential campaign -- expected to be officially unveiled in Kentucky on Tuesday -- may not have been possible without the work of his father, Ron Paul, the former Texas congressman and three-time White House contender.

\nThe elder Paul, who ran for president as a Libertarian in 1988 and a Republican in 2008 and 2012, helped pave the way for Rand Paul by building a nationwide network of devoted supporters drawn to his message of limited government and non-interventionist foreign policy. But while Rand Paul has largely inherited the ideological roots of Ron Paul's political philosophy, he's not a carbon copy of his father.
    \nThe two are similar in many ways-Ron Paul says he agrees with 99 percent of what his son believes. In some cases, they merely take different strategic approaches to reach the same goal, and in most cases Ran Paul's stance is a slightly more moderate version than his father's.
    \nStill, Rand Paul expects to be treated as his own man, and in many ways he has proven to be a different type of politician. Here are some areas where they differ, even if slightly:
    Russia: After Russia invaded Ukraine last year, Rand Paul called for sanctions against the invading nation. Ron Paul warned against that, saying it could sink the U.S. dollar.
    \nThe NSA: Ron Paul wants the National Security Agency eliminated. Rand Paul says he's more interested in reining it in.
    \nNSA leaker Edward Snowden: Rand Paul thinks Edward Snowden should receive a light punishment-such as a few years in prison--for leaking classified information about the NSA to the press. Ron Paul wants to give him clemency.
    \nThe Islamic State: Rand Paul called for Congress to vote on a resolution to give the president power to fight ISIS. Ron Paul says it would be "foolish" for the U.S. to wage war on the militant group.
    \nWar on Drugs: Both men have wanted to move away from the status quo. While Ron advocates for full legalization of all drugs, Rand Paul has taken a less ambitious approach, favoring modest steps toward decriminalization. He's also sponsored bills in Congress to open the door to medical marijuana and supported measures to lower or eliminate penalties on non-violent drug users.
    \nYouth outreach: Both men regularly speak on college campuses. Ron Paul held many standing-room rallies with students, and Rand Paul has similar appeal. Rand Paul has also made it a point to take his message to minority communities, including several visits to historically black colleges.
    \nhttp://www.cnn.com/2015/04/06/politics/election-2016-ron-paul-rand-paul-differences/index.html

2. What is with these conservatives pretending to libertarians?

3. IMO Rand is a wolf in sheeps clothing. Without his father he would be a nobody.

4. Really hope this is not the case.   I have not made the proper research yet. 

5. I feel like his position on Snowden is rather telling about how he feels about freedom and transparency.

6. i like his lies the most so far.

7. Yeah...reading about that hurt.

8. I honestly did not know they were related. This is news to me.

9. Randy is a frat boy with a bad toupee. I so hope he gets the nomination.

10. #10 BRZBoy, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2015
    Thing is no one watches CNN. There sister network HNN is either shut down or winding down. They cant even hire good talent right now because the whole network is bleeding cash.

Oh the other thing to who cares if there different. Are you people such fools that you want a clone of Ron Paul? He is 100% entitled to be the exact opposite of his father. Are you clones of your parents? I doubt it. So who the fuck cares what Ron Paul's views are since he is retired. Last time I checked when your a retired politicians either become a talking head, write a book, do nothing and disappear, or become a lobbyist. Then depending on the power they had they have some pull and slowly it fades then they die and there nothing but a foot note.

11. Who is your candidate of choice? First woman president?

12. I stand with rand! I'm so happy he has made it official and is going to run!

:)

13. #13 s A t I v A, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2015
    a girl that knows politics

sexy thanggg

He will be one of many so well see how it goes. Alot less debates this year and the GOP side of the house primaries are being moved forward rather then later. Expect Rick Perry and a few others to toss the hat in.

The critical thing though is money. This election cycle both sides are shooting for roughly 1 billion dollars raised to run and whoever gets 100 million first will most likely be the nominee.

15. Since Randy and Ted Cruz are the only candidates so far, I'm going to say I have no first choice.

16. Let's keep this on topic.

Let's also remain civil and not accuse others that think differently as being less intelligent.

I can make a strong case that if you can't debate without resorting to defamation vs those with opposing views, than you may be the one with a lessor intelligence.

17. HRC 2016.... Seems like the libs are getting desperate.

18. And Rand Paul, Ted Cruz and Jeb Bush are the best the GOP can do? We're ALL fucked.

19. Liberty not Hillary! I swear if that bitch is the next president I'm moving to Canada

If Harper wins again, I'm moving in with my American cousins.