Oil change gone wrong... Lol

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Burgerman72, Apr 7, 2015.

1. #21 homestarstoner, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2015
    LOL dude i used to work at a logging truck shop as an oil change guy. i was like 16 had no idea what i was doing. changed the oil filter, then i filled the truck up with like 60 litres of oil. got into the cab, fired the truck up and it ran for 10 seconds and shut off. all the mechanics in the shop were freaking out yelling and shit and i had no idea why... i got out the truck to find the entire shop floor shiny black. oil was EVERYWHERE. everyones boots were black. never seen such a big oil spill in my life. apparently the oil filter was cross-threaded... FUCK. needless to say i lost my job that day and they made me clean the entire shop floor with those oil spill absorbing rocks. took my

TIGHTEN THOSE OIL FILTERS

2. Yup... Actually on par with Bosch. Very good for being a "generic" brand.

3. Generally once the gasket makes contact, 1/2-3/4 turn is enough to seal it. Anything more is overkill ;)

4. Depends on the vehicle...for a littler gasser, that is generally true. Larger diesels HAVE to be turned more...even the manufacturers will tell you that.

Granted, the idiots at IffyLube will STILL find a way to screw things up, which of course is why I refuse to use shops like Iffy.

5. They're pretty much ALL hand tighten ONLY.....
    Donno where you heard different.

The ONLY exception are the capped filters that must be installed with a wrench

[​IMG]

And even those you dont need to tighten the hell out of them. All you'll accomplish is stripping something.
    FYI I managed a quick lube, and yea - Most are shit with HS kids working them who dont know which way to turn a wrench. I can say mine was a rare exception to the rule, but most times you're better off taking it to an actual repair shop or the stealership.

Any standard filter:

[​IMG]

is HAND TIGHTEN ONLY: Once the gasket makes contact with the block 1/2-3/4 turn is MORE THAN ENOUGH.

From: NAPA http://www.napafilters.com/do-it-yourself/step-by-...
    "Step 7

Remove existing oil filter.

Even after you've drained the oil, the old oil filter can still
    contain hot oil. Position the oil pan under the old filter, then be very
    careful as you use your oil filter wrench to remove the filter. Use a
    rag to clean the mounting surface on the engine, and make sure the
    gasket from the old filter is not stuck to it.

Step 8

Lubricate the new filter and screw into place by hand.

Before installing your GoldNAPAFilter, lightly coat its rubber seal
    with fresh oil. Check to make sure the seal is properly seated in the
    filter, then screw on the filter by hand. It's usually not necessary to
    tighten the oil filter with the wrench,
    but check the filter's
    instructions to be sure."

6. I got my information from having owned a vehicle that the filter alone held close to two quarts of oil and where the engine took a total of 15 after a change.

Diesels will vibrate a poorly tightened filter off in a matter of a few miles...its the nature of the beast.

7. Which is why most either have a remote mounted filter, or a capped filter ;)

I had a regular in my shop with a Diesel Sprinter Van.... It had a capped filter that some shmuck stripped the shit out of the nut on top. Had to use vise grips to get it off the first three times, finally it gave out. I warned dude from the first time I had to monkey it off.
    Pro Tip:
    Its not a part they keep in stock at Advance Autoparts in on 47th ave Milwaukee [​IMG]

Had to get it delivered from the Dodge stealership, and dude wanted me to pay for it. Had to get my DM to come to the shop and everything.... Long story short we ended up paying for it, under my strong protest [​IMG]
    He came to my shop once more after that, but I nixed his discounts, and put a stop to the $9.99 "I've got my own oil & filter" oil change bullshit he would kill me with. All he ever did was kill my daily sales average anyway, was glad to be rid of him :laughing:

8. Been there, done that. It isn't fun. Sound effects are spot on. Lol.

Hope you got er all fixed up.

9. Why never use fram?

10. Because you might as well have an empty pop can hanging off your engine. They would both filter at the same rate.
    Check out this vid......

And if you have any doubts.. Check out this link, or my Oil Filters Revealed thread under Planes, Trains, & Automobiles part of the forum

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/refere...

11. I can't tell you how many times mother fuckers with box trucks, giant diesels, rvs, etc.. come in for their 6 dollar oil change because they brought their own shit. Half the time we do it on our back. Smfh. Can you take your own hamburger meat to McDonald's and have them cook it for a discount :unsure: