Oil change gone wrong... Lol

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Burgerman72, Apr 7, 2015.

1. So, I changed my oil today (which I have done countless times, always without issue). Got everything put back together, filled 'er up, started the car to run for a minute and then top up.... Well what do ya know, I heard this loud slurping noise and IMMEDIATELY killed the engine (good thing I was standing beside my car with the door open). Looked under the car and sure enough, there's a massive puddle of oil and oil pissing everywhere from my belly pan. Took the belly pan off and it was coming from the filter. A quick Google search done by my wife (I was a little too pissed to think clearly) revealed that the oil filter gasket from the old filter can stick to the block, causing a "double gasket" which leaks like a sieve when the engine is started..

No damage, guess I killed the engine before it had time to completely run dry. What a fuckin mess in my driveway though. Good thing it was on gravel, a little rain should take care of it. Never heard of this happening, but it appears to be pretty common. Ah well, learn from my mistakes I guess, but I did lose about 5 quarts of Pennzoil 10w30 for fuck sakes.

2. Good thing your wife was there lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Don't tell her that lol

4. I remember my first double gasket oil filter conundrum...twas a 2001 Toyota Camry.

5. Not fun. Certainly not something you would ever do twice that's for sure!

6. My father is a mechanic but was running busy for the day so sent his car to the garage for an oil change. They put the filter on wrong and it blew the entire bottom end about 2 hours later

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. I bet he was pissed!

8. Thats better than when I didn't tighten my filter enough... talk about looking like a douche.

9. haha yup did it on my old ute. mostly sealed thanks to me overtightening cause it didnt feel quite right, but leaked pretty heavily for 2500km before i realized wtf was going on haha damn dirty diesel oil everywhere!

10. happens with motorcycles all the time... that damn o ring...

11. Good thing you caught that , I'd be pissed off too lol . you basically had to do the job twice , and that's never fun . plus , oil isn't cheap .

12. #13 ImTheJoker4u2, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2015
    Part of the routine of the oil change shop I managed was to have the tech physically show the old filter (And presumably the gasket) to me and call out a check list...

(While holding the wrench on the bolt for my inspection)
    "(15) millimeter plug & new gasket - up and tight!!"

(While physically tightening the new filter for my inspection)
    "(4427) filter installed - Up and tight!!"

(While showing me the old filter for my inspection)
    "Old gasket is on the old filter!!"

"Clear to fill!!"

I never had a car leak from my shop because I ALWAYS did my inspection. I only caught 2 stuck gaskets out of all of the cars I did, but just catching those two was enough of a reason that I still pretty much do that check list on my own cars to this day.

13. maybe I'm weird but I look at the old filter and tap it on the ground a few times to check for shavings

14. Waste of time...
    Before you do the oil change pull the dipstick and bring it out into the sun. Look for glitter.
    I only do this if there is a loud tic, tap, or knock, otherwise there is no reason to look for metal.

Did I mention to NEVER USE FRAM??

15. But...their commercial says oil change done right....[​IMG]

I seriously laugh every time I see that

16. This is common on boats with inboard engines as well.

17. What's a good filter brand?

18. Bosch. Mobil1.
    Dont bother spending more on a K&N filter. Its a Mobil1 filter with a stupid hollow nut tack welded on.
    Check out this small comparison...
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1...

There used to be a great, very in depth thread regarding filters on Minimopar.com. Its been moved and I didnt look hard for it, but its worth a read if you're really interested in what is keeping your engine from turning into a sludge monster.

Bottom line - NEVER use a

Fucking
    Ruined
    Another
    Motor.

19. The local supplier carries Wix. Are they any good?