Backbuilding during flower?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by bockscar, Apr 5, 2015.

1. So I was reading a grow journal from another site. Then the grower mentioned doing "Light Addicts back building technique"....

and that got me to googling, and searching on here. No results here, but google bought me some info. Turns out its basically snipping the tip-top of colas during flower. Guess its supposed to hold up the vertical growth and fattening up the buds overall. You're only supposed to snip a tiny bit, so thats supposed to make it not stressful for the plant.

anyone ever done this technique or even heard of it before?

• Like Like x 1
  2. #2 Baked Bread Baker, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2015
    I did this on a few tips my last plant, it stunted the cola from growing up as much. It seemed to almost give the top a Mohawk of calyx/pistils, had a row of 3 grouping that all acted like individual growing tips. The cola seemed to be denser and fill out width more. Pretty sure I topped once pistil started developing , cola is the center one. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1428247157.018237.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nice!

So whats your verdict? Do you think its a good thing to do? 

Do you think you get overall more weight on the stunted/shorter colas that you snipped, or is it likely similar weight...but prettier nugs? He mentioned that the buds looked visually more appealing when they were back building the colas in flower.

I haven't read more than 2 pages on the technique since thats not what I was researching and kinda stumbled across it. But I have a feeling timing is everything with that technique. too early or too late, and lesser than max results.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'm not sure it would be good on your main growing tips, definitely worth trying on side brach tips to see how it works for you.

It appeared to have a fox tailing effect causing the multiple flowers on top and forcing the inner flowers lower in the cola out the side making it denser.

The harvest is still curing, I might be able to find it in the jar, I'll post a pic if I can

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  5. ill defintely give it a try some time. not sure if on my first/next run, or in a future grow but do wanna try it. 

The guy that posted it is an ABSOLUTELY amazing grower! Would love to be able to pick up some of his techniques if they work

• Like Like x 1
  6. I had this happen to me accidentally on my last grow.  That strain responded by pushing out foxtails on that bud.  At least that is all I can come up with to call it.  I wish I took a pick.  It acted like it was topped kind of.  The bud split off in 2 directions and got all funky.  Like I said accident, so maybe I took off too much, or at the wrong time of flower.  I can def say I wouldn't do it again though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sounds pretty much like what mine did. If I had to make a theory it would be that the normal energy that would make the cola taller instead was diverted to the flowers under the cut growing tip causing them to expand horizontally.

Mine was a fim experiment done after she started to flower.

• Like Like x 1