Official Vinyl and Record Collection Thread - The Wax Spot

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by 4shotmark, Apr 4, 2015.

1.  Elton John - Follow the Yellow Brick Road
    Double album, three-fold cover

Elton John Follow The Yellow Brick Road.jpg

2. Mothers of Invention (Frank Zappa) - Absolutely Free

Mothers of Invention - Absolutely Free.jpg

Mothers of Invention - Absolutely Free (Inside cover).jpg

3. Janis Joplin and Full Tilt Boogie - Pearl 

Janis Joplin and Full Tilt Boogie - Pearl.jpg   Janic Joplin and Full Tilt Boogie - Pearl - back of album cover.jpg

Moby Grape - WOW 

Moby Grape - WOW.jpg

4. What I'm listening to at the moment

Attached Files:

5. I've got quite a bit of vinyl, mostly metal, that I will post when I get the chance to take some pics. I also have close to 300 CDs and slightly over 100 cassette tapes.

6. Please feel free to post CD's and cassettes. This thread is all about physical music.

7. Thought I would post some black metal and mix it up a bit, since I got some new vinyl in the mail late today.

[​IMG]

In the middle we have Krallice - Krallice, which is actually an album I learned of on GC through Kief. Really energetic and chaotic American black metal, that stays true to its roots.

On the right we have Burzum - Filosofem, a favorite of mine and a defining work in the Norwegian scene. I love the progression on this one, starting fast and ending with a trance like almost magical synth melody.

Something a bit more different that might get me some hate, the last two albums are by Deafheaven. The one top, Sunbather was released to pretty critical acclaim for its elements of combining black metal and a definitive shoegaze sound. Not an album for purists, but I highly recommend this one. Below that we have their previous work Roads To Judah, which might appeal to traditionalists a bit more, as it's more rough around the edges.

I'm thrilled that this thread has started to gain some popularity. I want to see everyone's turntable. 

8. #28 8ight, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2015

I'd estimate I have around 150 CDs and 100 LPs. Pretty modest, but I'm really satisfied at this point because I've finally reached the point of not owning any ill-gotten music. I bought the bulk of my CDs when I was 18-19 and living with my parents while working full time. When I moved out, I decided I could no longer afford music and just downloaded everything. That went on for a few years, all the while I told myself that one day when I just magically acquire a large sum of cash, I would then buy all the music I had stolen. 

That day never came. But I did become interested in stereo gear, and that sort of rekindled my love of music. Not that I ever became bored with music, but with just a modest stereo set up, I was hearing things I had never heard before even with albums I'd known and loved for near a decade. So that's about when I started buying music again, and a year or so ago I wiped my computer clean. Any digital music I have now, I also have a physical copy (minus a few bandcamp.com exceptions). 

Also somewhat sparked my current career path, since my interest in vintage stereo gear sparked an interest in electronics, which I'm currently going to school for. I'm hoping to be able to work on/repair old amplifier and such as a sort of side-hobby once I learn more. 

Not sure what really prompted this ramble. Probably weed. But on topic, this what I'm listening to now. I actually hate the cover. It's so... awkward. But musically it's one of my favorites from them. 
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. I also have like 200+ cd's and around 8 guitars. Been playing since i was 18 I'm 25 now. I love anything music related as long as it's not made on a computer like most of the music today! I'll post some pics after work.

10. #30 squidrick420, Apr 11, 2015
    I'm going to start posting my black metal collection in here in a little bit but it is probably going to take up several posts. As for Krallice I got to play a show with their drummer's side project Anicon. I gotta say though, I could never get into deafheaven haha.

I will get on that after getting my vinyl out of the way haha. I plan on starting with my BM collection since it consists of over 50% of my entire collection. I've just got to start taking pics of the collection which I have been meaning to do anyways as a means of cataloging my current collection. I recently traded in close to 30 CDs because I literally had no more room to put new CDs lol.

11. #31 squidrick420, Apr 11, 2015
    Black Metal Part 1.
    I'm taking a loose definition of Black Metal here and posting anything including First and Second Wave BM, Black/Thrash, Black/Death, War Metal, Black/Folk, Ambient BM, Symphonic BM, and anything else remotely blackened.
    I'll try and space out my posts so that I don't overwhelm the thread haha. This could take several months to complete. My vinyl collection isn't as extensive as my tapes and CDs but that is because I took a 1.5 year hiatus from vinyl due to not having a turntable for a while. I also do not have as much BM on vinyl as I would like because for a while it was really difficult to find until the record stores started to carry a lot more of it.

Bastard Sapling: Dragged From Our Restless Trance (USBM, stands for United States Black Metal)
    Bathory: Bathory (First Wave BM, Sweden)
    Bathory: Hammerheart (Black/Folk/Viking)
    Burzum: Det Som En Gang Var (Second Wave BM, Norway)
    [​IMG]

Darkthrone: Under A Funeral Moon (Second Wave BM, Norway)
    Darkthrone: The Cult Is Alive (Black/Crust)
    Dimmu Borgir: Godless Savage Garden (Second Wave / Symphonic BM, Norway)
    Deathhammer: Onward To The Pits (Black/Thrash, Norway)
    [​IMG]

Goatpenis: (War Metal, Brazil)
    Goatwhore: (Black/Death/Thrash, USA)
    Havohej: (Experimental USBM)
    Merrimack: (Second Wave BM, France)
    [​IMG]

12. Great stuff man, I really need some Darkthrone in my collection.

[​IMG]

Playing this right now, I figured it was relevant. I've been thinking about picking up Det Som En Gang Var, but haven't gotten around to it. I really like those early albums.

13. I almost have every Darkthrone album but most of them are on CD haha. They have always been one of my favorite bands in general due to their ability to switch styles but still keep their own sound.
    I also have Hvis Lyset Tar Oss but it is on Cd, I should add that it is my favorite Burzum album of all time. The only early Burzum album I still don't have is the very first album and the Aske EP. Det Som En Gang Var is a great album and I would totally pick up a copy haha.

14. They actually have it at my local record store. Hopefully I can snag it when I'm there on the 18th if it hasn't been purchased yet.

Speaking of that are you blades planning on going to Record Store Day? Any definite purchases?

15. It is totally worth picking up! I would have more Burzum on vinyl but I want to continue padding out my black metal vinyl collection with more bands before I start doubling up and getting multiple albums from bands. It doesn't help that there are 3 really good record stores where I live and 2 more decent ones. One of them is almost exclusively for metal/punk and pretty much only sells analog formats. They also have a venue in the back with some crazy shows. I love playing there.

As for record store day if I have money then I will be going all out but the chances are I will be broke [​IMG]

16. I can share my entire black metal collection: 
    [​IMG]
    (Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters)

Yea, I'm not a really huge black metal fan (pun). But I do dig that ^ album. Most of the metal I have is more on the doomy side. 
    [​IMG]
    (The Angelic Process, Sunn, Earth, Yob, Godflesh, Pallbearer, Old Man Gloom, Boris, Bongripper)

[​IMG]
    (Om, Sleep, Truckfighters, Electric Wizard, Uncle Acid, Graveyard, Witchcraft, Kadavar, Blood Ceremony, Katatonia)

17. Nothing really interests me for RSD. With vinyl, I only buy stuff I REALLY want. I opt for CDs if it's stuff I'm more hesitant about. So RSD's not really my thing, plus I hate crowds in general. Besides, last year I walked in the shop 2-3 weeks after RSD and they still had the Opeth repress, so I just nabbed it then. 

So I'd rather just go the day after, grab some stuff I DO really want, and then flip through whatever's left-over. 

18. Can't argue with doom metal either as it is still one of my favorite metal genres out there [​IMG]
    I'm just a bit of a black metal fanatic and I have gone over the top trying to collect it, just wait until I start on my cd's and tapes.

19. #39 squidrick420, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2015
    Black Metal Pt. 2

The end of the vinyl. Like I said I don't have enough bm on vinyl yet to really be satisfied haha.

Resuscitator: Initiation (Old School USBM)
    Rotting Christ: Αποκαθήλωσις / Apokathilosis (Compolation, First + Second Wave BM, Greece)
    Skeletonwitch: Beyond The Permafrost (Black/Thrash/Death, USA)
    [​IMG]

That is it for my 12" black metal records, now for the 7" records.
    Abazagorath: The Spirit Of Hate For Mankind (USBM)
    Ablaze: (Black Metal / Hardcore Punk, Germany)
    Cultes Des Ghoules / Szron: Ridden With Holy Grace (Second Wave BM, Poland)
    Morbosidad / Manticore: Invocation of the War Beasts (Black/Death, USA)
    [​IMG]

The Following posts are devoted to split EPs that I feel have double sided artwork where both sides need to be seen.
    Morbosidad(Left) / Witchchrist(Right): Split EP (Black/Death. Morbosidad: USA, Witchchrist: New Zealand)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This one has the potential to be offensive so if anybody wishes for me to remove it I will. But until then... enjoy.
    Abigail / Nunslaughter: Split EP (Abigail: Black/Thrash/Speed, Japan. Nunslaughter: Black/Death, USA)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. #40 squidrick420, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2015
    Black Metal Tapes. I have significantly more of these than I do vinyl but I can fit more into one picture so it won't take too many posts to get through these but it will still be a slower process haha.

Abigail: Sweet Baby Metal Slut (Black/Thrash, Japan)
    Abigail (Japan) / Nocturnal Hell (Spain): Hellbastards of the Underground
    Angelus Diaboli: Iussu Sathanas Serviam (Ambient Black Metal, Netherlands)
    Annthennath: States of Liberating Departure (Second Wave BM, France)
    Bathory: Blood Fire Death (Polish Bootleg edition, not an official release) (First Wave Black Metal, Sweden)
    Blood of The Moon: MMXII (Ambient BM, New Zealand)
    [​IMG]

Bulldozer: The Day Of Wrath (First Wave BM, Italy)
    Cirrhus: 2012 Promo (Atmospheric USBM)
    Cult of Daath: (USBM)
    Daemonlord: The End Of The Era (Second Wave BM, Spain)
    Daemonlord: Godless Prayers (Second Wave BM, Spain)
    Decayed:The Book Of Darkness (Second Wave BM, Portugal)
    [​IMG]

Bonus pic of my Daemonlord albums along with my bong which has a Daemonlord sticker on it. They are a really original sounding Spanish black metal band that has some influence from Greek black metal as well as some Norwegian influence while not losing its originality.
    [​IMG]