Team Microbes Living Soil Laboratory

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Team Microbe, Apr 3, 2015.

1. I fucking love you.

[​IMG]

2. Lol, I love you too man

3. #23 Team Microbe, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2015
    It's that time again!  We had rain in the forecast yesterday, so I took advantage of it and mixed up the 200 gallons of soil I've been looking forward to all week long:

[​IMG]

This mix includes:

1 part Peat Moss

1 part Aeration (75% lava rock, 20% bio char, 5% rice hulls)

1 part Compost 

Mixed with:

Acadian Kelp Meal @ 1/2 Cup per cubic foot

Neem Cake and Karanja Cake 50/50 Mix @ 1/2 cup per cubic foot

Crustacean Meal @ 1/2 Cup per cubic foot

Gypsum Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Brix Blend Basalt @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Glacial Rock Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Oyster Flour @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

[​IMG]I took these shots through the scope to show the differences between Red Lava Rock and Perlite.  If you were a microorganism, would you rather live on the bare surface of the perlite?  Or deep in the caves of the lava rock, where thousands of mini micro climates are found that contain moisture?  

[​IMG]
    Oh yeah, I've also changed the base of my containers for drainage purposes.  I can't believe I waited so long to do this... BlueJay gave me this tip.  Hopefully this helps avoid those soggy container bottoms that I used to have...

[​IMG]
    Finally! The new no-tills are ready for action...

I'll brew up an inoculation tea with every type of humus I own (diversity) and drench before waiting a week or two for the amendments to break down before planting cover crops and clones. There isn't anything "hot" in this mix, so it doesn't require the typical 4 week "cook" like most super soil mixes do with harsher (and unnecessary) additives. As for cover crops, I'll be using Fenugreek and Crimson Clover to fix nitrogen and provide additional nutrients to the soil. After the canopy fills in in late veg, a natural "chop & drop" will be performed by nature and most of the N will be used up during the last weeks of veg and the first week(s) of flowering. 

As stated before, I've altered this mix a little bit compared to the original mix I ran in the beginning of this thread. I've taken out the fish bone meal due to it's high P properties and it's affect on mycorrhizae, incorporated amendments that don't break down over time (like the rice hulls I originally used), added Bio Char (pre-charged) in my aeration for long term nutrient retention/soil fertility, and will be adding worms to my pots for the first time to provide fresh castings and additional aeration from their "tilling" affect. I've also bumped the size of my containers from 10 gallons to 25 gallons for bigger plants/more production. I'll be squeezing (10) 25 gallon no-tills into the 5'x10' tent. 

4. Do you mind sharing your IPM?

5. #25 Team Microbe, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2015
    Sure man, I probably should've already made a post on IPM - 

Integrated Pest Management

UC Davis Defines IPM as:
    “Integrated pest management (IPM) is an ecosystem-based strategy that focuses on long-term prevention of pests or their damage through a combination of techniques such as biological control, habitat manipulation, modification of cultural practices, and use of resistant varieties. Pesticides are used only after monitoring indicates they are needed according to established guidelines, and treatments are made with the goal of removing only the target organism. Pest control materials are selected and applied in a manner that minimizes risks to human health, beneficial and nontarget organisms, and the environment.” 

Neem + Agsil16H + Aloe

1 Gallon Clean Water
    1 Tablespoon Neem Oil
    2 Teaspoons Agsil16H 7.8% Solution or ProTekt
    1/8 tbsp Aloe Vera 200x powder or 1/4 cup Aloe Vera juice

^ This is the one I mainly use, the others I use can be found here

6. How's it going TM! Nice thread you got going, and what a bad ass grow space you built. Ill be following along for sure.

7. Nice thread dude! :wave: mind if I take a seat? I think that I follow you on IG lol. Pics look familiar-ish :p

8. Very nice start Microbe. Pulling up my commode.

9. It's goin good man, just sprayed a neem/aloe/potassium silicate foliar and tucked the girls into bed!  Thanks for the kind words, it was a really fun build, I'll admit it.

Yo what's good man?!  I thought you looked familiar... I wanted to see what GC was all about after running into a few trolls on icmag...   [​IMG]

Thanks buddy, pleasure to have ya

10. GC is pretty relaxed (most of the time) lol. The organics lounge is a good hangout. Looks like the usual organic weirdos have found their way over here. It'll be a fun time :)

Welcome to GC man :wave:

you may have already mentioned, but are you running 2k in that badass homemade tent of yours?

11. #31 Team Microbe, Apr 11, 2015
    Haha you can thank LadyLuckyBean for that, after she was banned from icmag for trolling on my thread (the mods over there can't stand her) she followed me over to Grasscity.   This should be interesting... [​IMG]

I like the vibe here a lot more, the mods handle things in a more mature manner as well I've noticed.  Blue Jay's thread is down right amazing too, I feel like I'll be spending as much time over there as I will in this thread.  Thanks for the warm welcome brother [​IMG]

Edit:  Nope, I'm only running (2) 600 watt Hortilux super HPS bulbs in the flower tent.  I like 600's a little more personally, they're cooler and with my 8' ceilings they're a little more practical for my room than 1,000 watters.  If I were in a bigger room I'd probably be running 1,000's or Gavitas even...

12. Just wanted to give you guys a peek inside the germination station this week - I popped a bunch of Holy Rhodi beans that I'll be testing as well as back crossing this summer outdoors to further stabilize the line.  I'm really new at this breeding stuff, but I have a good feeling about this project.  These beans are all super healthy, and unlike anything I've popped in my 10 years of growing so far...

[​IMG]
    97 out of 100 popped!

[​IMG]Holy Rhodi #3 has showed the most vigor so far

[​IMG]
    Like I said... vigor lol.  This is only 3 days into germinating... ?!  I'm excited to flower this out for the first time - my goal here was to keep the Church's resistance qualities (for outdoor growing), while increasing it's potency/terpene profile from it's Purple Rhodi influences.  Time will tell though...

[​IMG]Holy Rhodi a few weeks later

13. Why paper towels? Just curious. Seems an extra step vs just planting them in soil.

J

Before you begin the discussion about dioxin

15. #35 ladyluckybean, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    I know everyone's in love with you but I'm not. [​IMG]
    Get over it and leave me alone**. I've made it clear I was ignoring you several times yet you persist to get my attention by calling me out on the no till thread and now youre bothering me on my thread then here afterwards. I didn't even know you had an account until I had signed up but apparently you've abandoned your old account elsewhere to come where I've gone for refuge? Is it because people are bothering you over there now that I'm gone? backlash perhaps? I was told people were asking you difficult questions to give you a hard time now. aww they're so sweet.[​IMG]

I was irritated** but thought that we could just live in peace ignoring each other. I thought that this was over. if you would've never said the comment, "oh god, she's back" miquel wouldn't be talking on that thread no oone would be the wiser and no more fighting would've happened. Miquel came over here to find out what happened to me who has literally had her existence wiped away, thread, username,avatar, you're looking at Former Guest right now. while Miquel was waiting for a response, he saw what you said, instigating this whole fiasco. you need to take responsibility for your actions as well. remember you did get banned for trolling too.

I've changed my name and made myself into a boy persona** just to get away, which is working imagine that, and I hate it. please quit bothering me while trying to act innocent by commenting so "helpfully" that way I can be who I am without harassment on this forum. Not everyone is fooled by your charm. maybe for a second like I was** [​IMG]

Stop stirring the pot.

EDIT:

[​IMG] mods for responding ever so appropriately, didn't even have to report it. took care of itself. [​IMG]

16. It's a big city. Everyone should feel at home here. Leave any past drama at the door.

✌

17. #37 Team Microbe, Apr 11, 2015
    This is what I've always done, have you had good germination rates by dropping them directly in the soil?  If so then I'll try it next time...

Care to touch base on dioxin then?  Is that a chemical found in paper towels or something?

Internet Troll -
    A person whose sole purpose in life is to seek out people to argue with on the internet over extremely trivial issues. Such arguments can happen on blogs, Facebook, Myspace and a host of others. 
    The best thing you can do to fight an internet troll is to not answer..or report them.

18. Says the guy who likes the comment ha! Type A's geez

19. "jerry111165, on 11 Apr 2015 - 06:20 AM, said:
    Why paper towels? Just curious. Seems an extra step vs just planting them in soil.

J
    This is what I've always done, have you had good germination rates by dropping them directly in the soil? If so then I'll try it next time..."

It just seems an unnecessary step is all. If you're having good luck with it then great - I was just curious.

J

20. I put my seeds right in the soil. Those pre-germination techniques should not be necessary with healthy seeds. May be a good practice for older seeds, though.