Help an organic noob with his recipe?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by mop420head, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Hey organic blades, I came seeking your knowledge. I've come up with this soil recipe from a few months worth of research and what I have available at the local nursery. Just looking for suggestions, criticisms, any input I can get. It's for a 5 gallon recipe since I live in an apartment and would have to make batches individually. Thanks for the help. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427754821.372793.jpg

Blue ribbon is a soil by the way, I don't think they have it everywhere but it's all organic.

My grow journal http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-medical-marijuana-growing/1353929-mopheads-purple-closet-adventures.html

2. #2 SoloToker, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015
    Here's how I would roll for a small first time run in an apartment. It won't be the most economical by any means but it will be small portions. Do you have a farm/feed store in your driving vicinity?

For your base. My local feed store has 1c.f. compressed bales of spaghnum peat moss. You will need 1 of those. If you can't find the small ones the big 1 is only $10 from home depot. Just break off what you need and don't fluff it all up. You will also need a bag of compost or ewc. I personally use Coast of maine. Other good ones are Farmer D, oly mountain, bu's Malibu something. And some kind of aeration. You can get a bag of perlite if you want. I prefer lava rock or pea gravel in my big pots but for a 5 gallon pot I would use rice hulls. The farm store might have them in the bedding section but for the amount you need you are better off going to a home brew store and buying them by the pound. Mix your spaghnum peat moss, compost/ewc, and aeration at equal parts. Start by just mixing the peat moss and compost / ewc first. It will just be easier.

Then for your amendments. Should be able to find them at the feed store that you hopefully found. If not, nurseries will have some stuff. Hydro stores will have some. You might have to just look around. Espoma packages kelp and gypsum...could probably find it at walmart even. Fertrell packages the aragonite flour in smaller qty's at my feed store. They sell most stuff by the pound as well. 5 lbs or kelp and 5 lbs or alfalfa on hand are a must for all organic gardeners.

For 5 gallons I would use a little less than 1/2 cup of each of the following

Kelp meal
    Crab/crustacean meal
    Neem/karanja meal (neemsource.com)

Aragonite/oyster shell flour or agriculture/hi cal lime
    Gypsum

And 3-5 cups of rock dust. This you might have to order online. My hydro store happens to stock it sometimes. Some feed stores will have it. Don't let someone tell you azomite is the same thing.

Edit: after I typed all of this I realized something. I would go to buildasoil.com and just buy the Clackamas Coot mix in whatever size you need. If your planning on growing a while I'd honestly just get the biggest one and have it all packaged separate. Then you will have more for top dressings, teas, amending worm bins. Probably the easiest thing to do in your environment. I'd probably buy the base mix separate just so you can mix it to the consistency you like, then just amend it with the mix from buildasoil.com.

You could very easily store all of this in a big tote.

HTH

Solo

3. Solo, the whole time I was reading your post I was thinking read this then suggest BAS...but you beat me to it!

For small batches and little to deal with storing, I'd definitely do the Coot mix and some rock dust from BAS and add it to the base Solo suggested.

4. Took a lot of that into consideration. Thinking swap out the bone and blood meal for crab meal and the dolomite lime for oyster flour. What do you use for magnesium?

My grow journal http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-medical-marijuana-growing/1353929-mopheads-purple-closet-adventures.html