Coco coir question also I may have a mite problem

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Deleted member 830888, Mar 30, 2015.

1. #1 Deleted member 830888, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Edit:  I realize my posts are excessively long but if you don't like to read why are you on a message board?

So I've been shopping around for a good brand of coco coir.  I luckily found out about buffering and I can't believe how much coco is being sold without it!

There is more to processing coir than just washing the salt out...

Anyway I was wondering if someone could tell me if it's true that you have to water plants planted in coco coir every god damned day.

I read from one manufacturer that if you mix 50% coco with 50% soil you don't have to water it every day.

Is this true?  What do you recommend?  Because I am angry at my soil.  I went over a month without spraying any SM-90 because of some bullshit and now there are some spider webs coming from some of my buds and I blame the dirt for attracting pests.

It is strange because it looks nothing like the pictures I have seen of mite infestation.  There are no bite marks and the "webs" are actually just single thread fibers of webbing that you can't even really see without a jeweler's loupe.

I couldn't find any mites either, though I saw a couple of suspicious white balls that may be eggs on the bottom of one leaf.  Like a stalkless trichome.

Do you think this is just regular spiders?  Cobwebs?

I'll tell you this though.....  this strain Purple Krown X Columbian Purple Haze is some of the finest cannabis to grace this green Earth and I'm definitely going to clean out the single thread fibers and smoke it if I can successfully dry and cure it!

Repeat: No sign of mites.  And I will be doing some REAL examination once I can harvest the plant and get the buds on a table for some quality examination (it's so hard to examine live plants...).

Call me gross but at least I don't pick apart moldy buds and smoke the green parts!

2. Sounds like spider mites to me. are your leaves beginning to show small yellow spots? Those things are small as Fuck, really hard to see...

As far as coco goes, you pretty much have to water every day. I prefer hydrotion to coco for soilless mediums, because there's less risk of pests...

3. #3 Deleted member 830888, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015

Strangely the tell-tale yellow bite marks aren't happening.

I am so pissed off with my attempts to examine the trichomes.  I've gone through **6** different magnification devices and still cannot fucking determine ripeness from underripeness!

I ACTUALLY HAVE TO BUY A NETBOOK AND DIGITAL MICROSCOPE TO PROPERLY GROW MARIJUANA!!!!!

Here's a big FUCK YOU to whoever said 60x magnification is enough!

4. Haha its differnt for every user.
    I used to use a 60x and had no problem for years but now i use a 50x-200x usb scope and it works a treat.

Chef.

5. I also had mite problem in the last month but I didn't try dealing with them on my own. Instead of that I preferred hiring the best Pest control Port Macquarie firm. You know they found other pests too in my home. I am glad I hired their services. My home is now completely pest free!

6. #6 jay719, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2015
    There is no need to be rude to people just because you have vision problems. I check my trichs with no scope at all and do just fine. If 60x isn't enough then get a better scope, but the person who said that was correct in that 60x magnification is plenty for most people. I wouldn't use anything over 15x - 30x personally.

And no, you do not have to water coco every day depending on container size and root volume. Like many things in growing it depends on a number of factors.

Spiders, and spider mites aren't attracted by dirt. So don't blame your soil for webs, you can get spiders or mites no matter what medium you use.