Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Making CannaOil Using Coconut Oil?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Sa0sin, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Hey guys,

So I'm trying to gather as much information regarding edibles before I make these brownies in a week's time (using 4.5g of dank bud). First, I'm going to use coconut oil for making brownies since the saturated fat content makes this the superior oil for THC extraction/infusion. If the brownie recipe calls for 2/3rds cup of vegetable oil, is it okay to use solely coconut oil for the full 2/3rds cup? I ask because I don't know how the texture of coconut oil will be (even in its liquid form). There are brownie recipes that call for 1/3rd cup, should I search for one of those instead?

Next, do I need to freeze the coconut oil after the infusion process? Apparently this helps with bioavailability, though I'm still searching to confirm. I believe BadKittySmiles recommends this, but I can't find it yet

And finally is cooking with coconut oil at 190 degrees (stove-top using a double broiler) ok? Coconut oil burns at a lower temp so just making sure. I messaged BKS asking her all of this, but I'm sure she's a busy person so Im asking here just in case

Thanks in advance

2. I use coconut oil all the time for brownies, just melt it before you mix into the batter...much easier to mix.

3. Coconut oil is fabulous for baking, it is a lovely texture similar to shortening.

If you are trying to decide whether to carefully follow the BKS instructions step by step, or to invent your own recipe by altering/omitting certain steps, I would recommend to carefully follow her instructions step by step. At least the first time, try it as intended once before you introduce your own theme and variations. Her recipes are so popular (over 1.2 million views) for a reason.

4.5g is a small dose, so if you cut corners, you run the risk that the brownies will have a disappointingly weak effect. ;)

4. #4 Sa0sin, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
    I'm not trying to invent my own formula, I'm trying to follow other's to a T. I believe I have all the information I need now -

I'm going to decarb my bud in a glass Pyrex dish, with tinfoil covering, at 215 degrees for 23-25 minutes and turn the oven off, leaving in the dish for another 10 minutes before removing. I will keep the tin foil on after removing the dish for another 15-20 minutes. Then, I will use a double broiler and start heating up coconut oil (2/3rds cup as recipe calls for) to a liquid state, then I will throw in the decarbed bud and put tin foil over the double broiler and poke a meat thermometer through to keep the temperature at 190 degrees for 2 hours, while I stir every 20 minutes.

I will then strain the oil through cheesecloth, then put it in a glass dish before I put it in the freezer for 3 hours.. Take it out, thaw to room temp, put it in the oven at 175 degrees for 10 minutes or however long to get the coconut oil back to liquid state.. Finally put it in the brownie mix and cook away

Do you see any holes? Is covering the double broiler with tin foil during the infusion process necessary?

Edit: looks like I should freeze the oil for 3 hours before I do the straining process

I am not trying to be difficult, but let's be clear you are not following the BKS recipe "to the T": you are following some other unspecified recipe. BKS recommends to cook at 220 but you will be cooking at 190, which is a 30 degree difference. Maybe cooking at 30 degrees lower than the recommended temperature will make a difference, maybe it won't... only you can decide whether it is "worth it" to carefully follow the trusted recipe step by step with attention to detail. Or if there is some other recipe you trust more, please post the link so we can all try it, too! ;)

6. #6 Sa0sin, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015
    I can't ever find where BKS talks about making canna oil so I was going off this recipe which seems sound: http://www.420magazine.com/forums/cannabis-edibles/162134-xlr8-s-magic-brownies-step-step-pictures.html

How long does BKS suggest to cook at 220 for? And is she talking about in the oven or on a double broiler? I'm not trying to ask you to do my homework, but everytime somebody links me to the page of her thread that apparently talks about CannaOil all I see is a guide for things like gummy bears and I scroll down the entire page but can't find her guide to making CannaOil. I've done several hours of research so I'm not trying to cut any corners. Thank you for your help btw

Edit: my fault, the problem is Im on mobile so it automatically takes me to the last page of whatever thread I visited.. So I was several pages too far into her guide lol. Figured it out now, Oops

7. Do I need to keep tin foil on my glass Pyrex dish while I do the freezing process? BKS doesn't mention whether to keep it on or not, and I'm watching her youtube videos and it skips from coming out the oven (with tin foil on) to coming out the freezer (no tin foil on)

8. No tin foil needed in the freezer.

Also the freezing is best done inbetween cooking time from BKS thread all on page 17.

Mobile sucks ass( coming from a PC guy using a mobile) but for quick page selection got to the full version site. And right where it has the page selects there is an option to enter the page# you want.....

9. Thanks man yeah mobile is rough lol. On page 17 BKS recommends freezing after you finish cooking though, she says do the initial 45 minutes, let it cool down, then mash up the bud pieces with back of a spoon, then put in for 45 more minutes, and then she says to freeze. After freezing she says just warm up the oil to liquid state for better straining

You're saying it's better to freeze in between the two 45 minute cooking's?

10. OK.... Its been a while since I've read BKS's post on that.

But I can't see why it wouldn't hinder to freeze in the middle. Since it is said to increase bio avalibility which I believe would be better for the oil transfer process.

Just don't shock the oil by heating it up to fast though.