How do I know when a pollen sack is ready?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by Poobrick, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Hello all!  I recently used feminizing spray on a few plants and the pollen sacks have started forming (forced hermie).  They are about 3mm long and green.  I pulled a few off and there was nothing in them yet.  I was wondering what I need to be looking for or a timeframe for when I can get pollen out before they open and spray the entire tent with pollen.  Do they get to a certain size or change color?  Any help would be appreciated.  I tried searching on here, but I kept finding info that did not directly pertain to this question.  Thank you for any help you can provide!  [​IMG]

2. The pods will swell and the seams will start to open just before the stamens are revealed.

PW

3. #3 josephjt93, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
    They will start to open to reveal the bananas. Just a couple at first but once they're all open you'll have more viable pollen. At that point, you'll have pollen falling. Forced hermies are a genetic dead-end just so you know. Especially if you don't know if you're actually working with true females. Seems like you're already done though so just get that pollen and make your "female" seeds. Seeds need to go at least 7 weeks to maturity from the moment pollination occurs.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Thank you for the comments!  The strains I am working with are DNA LA Chocolat and DNA Sleestack, both feminized.  The product I used is Canna-Fem.  I was going to cross them with Female Seeds C'99 and DNA Sour Secret and probably each other.  I realize the potential pitfalls that can occur by trying to create your own strains (increased hermie rates due to stress, inconsistent plants due to F1, etc.), but I grow only for me and it is more of a hobby than a serious production.  Mostly I just wanted to see what interesting combinations could be produced.  I am more excited about it since I am using quality genetics instead of lower end breeders.  I currently have 26 other feminized seeds, 21 photoperiod and 5 autos, so I am not dependent on the outcome if this fails.

I currently see the bananas, they are still developing.  Most are green, and a few have turned yellow.  Am I waiting until they swell up to pluck them (for a controlled pollination) or are they ready when they change color?  Thank you for any additional information that you can provide!

[​IMG]