2nd Season - the learning experience

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Organic_Disciple, Mar 28, 2015.

1. I would drop the crab that's a bit too much for a baby. Do just alf kelp at half that strength for the first tea just cause less is more and baby's technically you should need only water. But IMO for your first tea I would do a worm casting tea to intro more of of those micros. That's personally do, AAVCT first and then botanical of kelp alf. I wouldn't start add crab later when they are bigger.

2. I did an ewc there first watering. And I wet there soil mix with an ewc before transplant ;-) . I'm really bummed I left out the rockdust though . Hopefully the bacteria can find a home in the lava rock that's In the vermifire. And I guess a top dressing of rock dust wouldn't hurt since most soil life is in the first 2-3 inches right?

3. #64 Gold Hill Ganga, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015
    Just mix it into the remaining soil and don't worry about it for the soil there in right now, the VermiFire will be plenty.

4. Ryte on. Thanks! What do you think of this mild transplant up mix? I will be going from the 1 gal to 3 gal and this will hopefully hold me out till permanent homes with the occasional botanical tea. I hope to let this cook for at least 2 weeks mixing this tomorrow.

Attached Files:

5. I have done the milder mix before and I wouldn't bother to do that again, they are not going to be hurt by supersoil and after a couple weeks you'll be wishing you had used super. Stop over thinking it, you should have 2 soils, base low nute soil and super soil. If your really worried about them burning what I would do is fill the bottom almost up to where you want it for TP leaving a little room then add an inch of base as a buffer between the roots and sprinkle a handful of EWC at the btm before you put the plant down in it, and a pack base soil around the sides too. Boom done. Your making this harder then it needs or should be.

6. I'm not worried about burning as much as I am a little better soil mix to transplant fr the 1s to the 3s. But I totally get what your saying. Didn't you have a problem like this last season? I believe you told me to do this before lol thanks man.

7. I'm saying just make a grip of super soil and use that in your 3s not some other milder mix. I told you to do that last yr when you didn't have time to cycle it.

8. My SS won't be ready till planting BTW.
    ^^^ they will need transplant before my mix is done for sure lol

9. Ok well in that instance do 1/4 strength super soil recipe, use VermiFire as your base for that mix.

I take 2 bags of VermiFire (1.5 cuft bags), one 1 cuft bag of coco coir, one 1 cuft bag of EWC and a half of a 2cuft bag of perlite mixtroughly w 1/4 strength super soil recipy your good to go, might have to feed a couple time before transplant might not have too.

For my super I do the above plus a bag of chicken shit and the whole bag of per light and 4 times the dry amendments.

10. Thats the money! Lol. Thanks!

11. I'd skip the grokashi. If you want mycelium growth, I'd look into making a BIM or IMO preparation. Easy and free and way more effective. $0.02

12. Someone got a package today.... an awesome privileg at that!

13. Just in time to pop for od

14. Fuck yea! This weekend is gonna be awesome. First little batch of SS and I get to pop some beans!

15. Just for ease I keep a big bag of roots or ffof for running 1gal and seedlings. Then boom right in to the ss.

16. I keep a mix of happy frog and ocean Forrest. It's what I used for my starts which are over 2 ft tall already. Mixing these two soils make a decent mix.

17. Your cuts or seedlings? I thought that was too hot for seeds?

18. I keep my seedling in a solo cup or 4" pot and used old soil for them for the first few weeks then into the soil mix.

19. #80 Dadeo, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2015
    I pop seeds in ffof.
    I like coco loco the best for seedlings.