Seedling Bending - The battle is on, help appreciated

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SensiDilla, Mar 27, 2015.

1. #1 SensiDilla, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
    Hi
    I have a small (hopefully) problem with 1 of my 2 seedlings. They're both same age, sprouted and emerged on the same day, same strain and same conditions and same everything else. Each Under a 30w cfl (6500k); each bulb 3 inches above each seedling, as you can see in the pictures.
    This is the end of Day 6. 
    I have a problem with the seedling on the LHS, as you can see it is bending. and quite a lot.
    I don't understand why. The Light has always been directly on top of it; same as the other seedling, which seems fine.
    The LHS seedling started bending pretty much straight after sprouting; it always bends toward the centre, like if it wanna get a bit of the other seedling  light too lol. (In the pictures you can see it is actually bending toward the LH side; this is just because I rotated the pot of 180 this morning).
    The bend was never so heavy till this morning.
    This battle has been going on for a few days. I was always winning by rotating pot and basically distancing it to the side so to counteract the bend by inducing another bend in the opposite direction. Yesterday night it was fine, straight as a post. So i placed the bulb directly on top of it. I was sure the problem was solved. I was celebrating and showing off.
    Then I woke up this morning and found what you can see in the pictures. So now I rotated the pot 180 and moved it a bit to the left, so i hope it s gonna go toward the right and get straight again. Shit. I can't go on like this forever.
    Do I need to tie this thing?

I was also thinking, maybe the bulb on the LHS has something wrong, but don't know...it looks fine. both bulbs are same age, same brand, same usage, and are quite new.

Attached Files:

2. they grow towards the light

get better lighting or prepare for a very lanky set of plants

3. what do you mean?Could it be low quality cfls? ( I paid 6-7  bucks per bulb thought they r ok)
     many people grow with cfl bulbs and have amazing results. Most people use 1 x 20w cfl per seedling at this stage, reading this forum; also people that use hid sometimes use cfls at this stage. The one on the right seems fine and well developed for 6 days.
    You definitely know more than me; and I believe HID would produce better results. But you sure this is the problem of the bending? 
    I was thinking to use a divider between the 2 pots; so that each plant just grow toward its bulbs and light is not shared....good idea?
    ...and by the way, am planning to add a lot more bulbs nce it starts growing.

4. it's the only reason i've ever seen a plants stem elongate

your plants are now in veg

they require as much light as they can receive

5. CFLs shouldn't be more then 2-3 inches away from the plant

6. i know. they at 3 inches, as written in my post. will try with 2 inches if this is what u trying to suggest

7. #7 killset, Mar 27, 2015
    I saw you said 3" I was just saying it should be no more then 2-3 inches is all. Usually they don't stretch bad that close. That ones starting to stretch pretty good.I didn't know if maybe they're 3 inches now that they've grown and were further to begin with. Just making sure you knew. Like I always told my ex wife, I'm not capable of reading minds;)

8. #8 SensiDilla, Mar 27, 2015
    thanks; yeah will put my bulbs closer. It is a bit stetched yeah; but the problem is that it is streched trying to get  closer  to the other seedling bulb instead of going toward its bulb directly on top of it. doesn't make much sense. both bulbs are same power.
    Sorry didn't mean to tease you; but every time I write in this forum I try to give all the infos and details so people can answer what i ask without asking other questions or giving other answers. and everytime I get answered other things like they haven't even read the post.
    I know they probably stretched cos the first few days light were a bit further down. But i am asking how to solve that bending problem, not the stretching problem. 1 is fine and 1 in bended evend doe has light on top of it. why. Sorry and thanks for ur reply anyway [​IMG]

This is the beginner section; beginners need a bit more explanations...otherwise it's a bit useless...l

9. #9 killset, Mar 27, 2015
    This IS the beginners section that's why I was letting you know. I have no idea what info you already know. Stretching and bending occur for the same reasons. Like you said, it was further away at 1 point in time....and yet I still don't read minds

10. You could replant them with the stems planted further down and get that bulb closer! I had a similar issue and now mine are growing nicely
    If you don't sort it out buddy all the others will follow the lanky one within a day or two

11. #11 SensiDilla, Mar 27, 2015
    cheers. done. added a lil bit of soil/perlite on top and buried the first couple of centimeters of each stem; slightly pushed the stem of the bent seedling with soil. hopefuly closer lights will do the rest. cheers

12. Turn the plant to the point where that bend os facing away from the light by the end of the day it will bend the other way ots just the top repondong to the light and if you watch videos oncyoutube of the time lapses and stuff youllsee the top just bending from left to right and the light from your other one isnt stronger its working as supplemntal light for the bendy one

13. Just pop a stake in the soil, something to give it support, they're a simple way of making bendy plants straight again :D

Attached Files:

14. they turned out really good. thanks everyone