Altered light cycles?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by clartigue10, Mar 27, 2015.

1. I have been thinking lately about manipulating light cycles to achieve greater yields. If 10 hours of dark are necessary to initiate the flowering photoperiod, could I not have light for 13.5 hours and dark for 10.5 to maximize light exposure every day? Or does something extremely important happen in the dark time that makes the 12/12 so important?

If anybody has experimented with this What were your results and what did you do to change the light cycle and I am interested in any negative consequences as well.

Sorry if it's a dumb question

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. #2 ludachris420, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2015
    Well it is 12 hrs dark to initiate flower for a lot of strains.some suggest 13 on 11 off. Now your question can get deeper then I'm going to go but yes a lot happens during night cycles..most root development happens at night(but root growth slows down after week 2 to 3 of bloom) and also your resin production happens during dark hrs..10 hrs dark would be depriving some resin production. Also pure sativas will flower even before 12/12 and that is why 18/6 is used to prevent early flowering. I've never done 13 on 11 off but I'm sure it is totally possible. But anything over 13 can prevent flowering.