So I just got arrested the other night...

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by nicolanzi_, Mar 27, 2015.

1. My friend got caught with 4grams driving back home the day after Christmas in south jersey. After all the snow postponing his court date 2-4 times he finally got sentenced to a year of probation starting that day in court with drug tests. You're not getting away with it. I'm lucky to have my medical card in this state

2. I would go to first appearance without a lawyer and see if the d.a. Will offer you a deal
    Expect probation if you don't want a record
    Probation for a shorter period if you do want a record, jail time or a fine
    The d.a. May offer to reduce the charge down to a traffic ticket. If she is a bitch or unapproachable, see if you see a attorney around who may be able to help you. If you can't afford one you can get a public one.
    But let us know no Monday what happens. Half these people on here have been though court

3. If he was dealing with weight. He had a small amount on him. It's not a big deal. The only thing the state cares about is getting money from the defendant one way or another.
    He's not going to talk himself out of it. Deferred Probation is automatic unless he Pisses someone off. But in some cases, a lawyer doesn't matter. Now if he got a former judge or someone High up, he may get it dismissed, but he's paying 10k there

4. I was going to get a lawyer for a paraphernalia charge (1 bong, two pipes, and a grinder). I also had my car impounded which cost me about $500 to get back. This was in Illinois when I was 18.

I ended up getting into other sorts of trouble with the law and picked up felony charges within the same time frame but these charges were unrelated to my paraphnellia case.

Because of the felony charges I had to get my parents involved and they hired a lawyer who brought my felony charges down to misdemeanors and the lawyer also got my paraphnellia charge dropped to what we call "court supervision". Which is basically a $200 fine and you promise to be good for the next year. After a year of being good the crime was expunged from my record.

All of this cost me $5,000 to the lawyer but had I not had the felony charges it would of probably only cost me $500-$600 for lawyer fees.

Getting caught with weed is illegal. Expect to have to pay up some money.

A public defender may be the best choice if you can't afford for a lawyer right now and still insist on keeping this from your parents.

You may want to go in for a free consultation that many lawyers offer. Talk to them about your situation it'll cost you nothing. Be very careful lawyers can be like car salesmen.

I'd that's just my story and my take on things. I'm high as fuck so I hope this all made sense.

5. #25 nicolanzi_, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
    I know I'm not gonna be talking myself out of getting the charges dropped and I know I'll be paying fines and be put on probation. I just don't want my license suspended because I work full-time and literally just got promoted to a supervisor position at my job. The night I was arrested, I was on the way back from a friend's house and we had smoked a celebratory blunt a few hours before

thats great do you still go back at all? i lived there until i was 16 lol an i still visit sometimes.

7. #27 walterbishop, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
    Got caught with a oz in NJ. Pre trial intervention, one year probation. Paid my fines (about 800) same day at the courthouse. I did bring a lawyer because I'd heard tales of this town being tough on weed. I think the fee was about 750-ish.

Saw my PO for the first time 3 months after my court date. Got cheek swabbed that day, passed. They also let me know in advance the dates for my next visits.

Next appt. 3 months later, another cheek swab, passed. Next appt. 3 months later, no swab.

There was no final appointment. Just the final court date which I did not have to attend. So in total I saw my PO 3 times over the course of a year.

Keep in mind though, not all counties do things the same. I can not in any way guarantee my experience will represent what you experience. Especially regarding getting cheek swabbed only twice. They may ask you to drop piss very time you go in for all I know.

Just wanted to give you my real world NJ experience.

8. Yeah I went back 2 years ago. I'm 20 now. I was born in Kingston, but most family is in Negril now. I moved to Miami when I was 9 and then moved to North Carolina about 8 years ago.

9. the prosecutor is not your friend

get a lawyer for fuck's sake even if it's a public defender. fuck.

"talk to the prosecutor" fuck, man

how much did you say to the cops? nvmd.

10. never speak with a prosecutor for a criminal offense without an attorney present.

motor vehicle is a different story..

but any offense that even hints of jail time, you must show up with an attorney..

11. My attorney was the difference between 4 years in state prison, or 3 years formal probation.

Worth every penny.

12. How much did you get caught with and in what state?

13. It wasn't a drug charge. Still a felony.
    Cali.

14. Well yeah, obviously having an attorney for certain situations is highly beneficial, but in my case, it might not be necessary. I'm going to see what's up when I go in on Monday

15. got caught in nj march 2013. was misdemenor possesion charge. didnt get a lawyer and still got the conditional discharge. talk to the prosecutor before u infront of the judge. they will let you know if you are eligible for the program. i got one year probation and a $1000 fine.

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

16. op thinks shits a joke having fun with the cops talking to prosecutors not getting a lawyer trusting a public defender lol. Good luck bro.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. Idk your just accepting your faith 1year probation and what ever else why not try and fight that shit instead one year 6 mot little shit that makes it a little better instead you go in blind.

What ever they want to do to you within the law they can cause all you got is a public defender that doesn't give a fuck about you. Just another case.

Shit I would've had my lawyer make me look like Jesus in the court room has a job never been in trouble yadadad try n get off a lil damn.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. Yeah because I'm gonna really be cracking jokes with the cops after getting arrested for the first time. They made the joke after they asked what my ethnicity is

19. #39 4oclock20min, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2015
    Lol

20. Hey guys, just got home from court. Got conditional discharge and I'm on probation for a year. From what I've been told, they usually drop it down to 6 months if you pass the first drug test or two. I also have a $700 fine, but you live and you learn. Does anybody know if the probation officer calls to set up the first meeting or do I receive a letter about it?