First Scrog net just put in - have a couple questions. Pics

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by Richie_J21, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Hey Gang,

This is my first grow, and thus, first time using a scrog net. I've come to a place where I have some big questions, and I'm reading conflicting things all over the place. I'd love to know what you experts have to say.

The 3 plants are an unknown variety that I got as bonus seeds in an order. 

20150325_201233.jpg

It's been just over 8 weeks since first sprouting.

I'm growing with an ebb & flow hydro system that seems to be working well. I'm using General Hydro Flora nutrients, running at about 80% of the strength listed on the bottle.

The scrog has an area of 25" by 20" in a closet that's 5' wide by 2' deep by 8' high. Thus far, they have been growing under 4 24" t5's, and I bought an Apollo 600w HPS lamp and ballast and an open reflector. They all came in a kit together.

20150325_201239.jpg

Here are my questions:

Does it look like it's time to switch to flower or would you let them veg a little more? I've done some LST, and I'm guessing that they're about 20 - 24" tall, all stretched out. The scrog net is placed 17" over the base of the plants. I was going to let them veg another 10 days or so, but if it's time to flip I'm ready to go. I've installed a carbon filter and 200 cfm exhaust to control temps when I put the HID in.

20150325_201228.jpg

I'm guessing that the 600w is going to be a lot of overkill for this small space, so my plan is to run it at 50% and see how they do.

I haven't done much trimming, just removing dead or sick leaves. I was going to lollipop them, but I'm reading a bunch of comments that say not to, or that you should do it 1 week into flower, or 3 weeks before harvest, or all throughout the process. This is where my confusion comes in.

So if this was your grow, what would you do next? I'm not in a hurry, I want quality first, quantity second, and speed third. How would you go about that?

20150325_201244.jpg

2. Nothing? Did I post this in the wrong forum?

3. Im no expert but i think the screen is too high. Object is to take advantage of the training technique with the screen. Here is my first scrog. My screen is about 10 inches from the medium. Who knows if it right or wrong. My hopes are for as many tops as possible. Good luck man. Try super cropping them and get that screen lower

Attached Files:

4. I think u r net is too high all the growth in veg needs to be tucked up and under the scrog

5. when I scrog, I have net set at 8-10 inches above the soil surface. this way you can take advantage of less veg time because you have more space to fill under the net. all of the growth gets cut off so it's really more efficient to grow them about 8-10". the point is to spread it out the plant, not just support it by letting it grow through the net. my first and second scrog was a mess but this one I'm doing now is doing awesome and now I've finally figured out how to manipulate the branches to fill out certain spots and keep others from growing more. you just let the branches be a few inches taller than the rest using their height for apical dominance. then the spots you are already full, keep the growth tip low to the net and the higher ones will grow much more than the lower ones. it's so beautiful when done right.

6. Your strategy is a little confusing but I'm interested, could you clarify?

Btw I just learned what apical dominance means, thanks :)

7. I always try to explain but its tough. I made a video a long time ago. the quality is pretty crappy but it explains how to do this plus some other advice.

https://youtu.be/xjWy-rvfhnI

8. awesome informative video :) great big beds (((:)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum