Cloning help please.

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by TurtleGrower, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Ok well I'm thinking of cutting my first clone and all i have is the rooting gel, can I get some help, do i cut the clone and put it in say a water bottle with no soil and put and humidity dome above it? or would it go straight into soul/other medium?

2. I cut mine and out them into my rooting powder and then right into the dirt.
    Just took these 4 days ago or soj

Attached Files:

3. 4 days ago? they look pretty solid man! im cut a small under shute for a test see if it takes not sure if the gel us recommended 

4. Yeah im happy wit them so far so good. I actually read on here that you can use the gel from an aloe plant. Sounds pretty cool. Im gonna try next time.

5. ill post some pics of mine when i get home

6. That approach definitely works, but I do something a little different.  Maybe you've heard of Bubble Cloners?  You can buy preassembled units, but I just make mine myself.  I use a little Rubbermaid plastic bin, a small Aquarium air pump, some styrofoam to keep the cuttings suspended in the lid, tap water, and a 15w LED panel for light.  NOT ONE BATCH has taken more than 6 days to shoot out roots.  Something you may want to consider.

Regardless of what medium you put the cuttings in (If any), I've found its incredibly important NOT to give the cuttings too bright of a light.  You dont want the cuttings to be focusing on photosynthesis and building new leaves, you want them to be focusing their energy on building roots.  Thats why I use a 15w LED panel, suspended about 1ft above the tops of the cuttings.

7. Thanks for the light advice, i got a cutting done now, and had it in with my growbox, ill take it out and use something like that you are talkin about!

8. No problem.  

Good idea.  It would probably work in the grow box, but you might notice longer rooting times, an overall lower percentage of successful clones, and yellowing leaves if you leave it.

FYI, you should still keep the light on for at least 18hr (I keep my led panel on 24/7).  Just make sure its relatively dim, like I said, and you'll be on your way to success.  Good luck.

9. #9 TurtleGrower, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
    Well i leave the growbox open a crack and have a little shade putting a minimal amount of light on it, it's in a flower pot with a baggie tight over the top, the humidity seems to be keeping the leaves all nice, and no yellowing what so ever day 3 now

I'm waiting on my sister's camera, it takes super HD pics so ill upload one tomorrow or so and show you i think it looks pretty damn good, although it's a bit on the shorter side for a clone not sure if that would matter tho

10. #10 Grow2dab., Mar 27, 2015

I cut below a node, give the bottom of the stem a bit of a scrape with the blade then dunk it in Clonex and then into a rockwool cube and under a dome with full humidity. Once it roots then into a solo cup with coco.

They might look like they're dying at first but just keep everything moist and humid and stick with it whilst checking for roots.

11. #11 cabinetman, Mar 27, 2015
    Fay's coffee can cloner works for me, no dome just a cfl hanging over them, 100% so far.......... Going on 18 months now

12. Is your typical grow in hydro, or soil. If hydro, very common, put your cutting in small rock wool cube or peat thingy, buy yourself 2-12x6 Tupperware containers with lid. Drill or cut a hole in the lid, place your cutting in the lid, fill with water and get an air pump from pet section of Walmart and put a black air line in there with a 6" airstone, put the 2nd Tupperware bottom on top with a little hole and let it sit, make sure the Rez is blacked out, no light should enter, before you know it, she will definitely root, 8 year hydro grower, going aquaponic grower.
    Let me know if you have anymore questions, I will be glad to help, hope I didn't go too far for ya.

13. #13 TurtleGrower, Mar 27, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. The simple Bubble cloner method I mentioned has been working great (100% success) for well over 24 months...

Anyway, that cutting is looking pretty happy man!  No yellowing at all!  Good luck.

15. #15 killset, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
    I've done bubble cloners, home made cloners, peat pucks, rapid rooters, I've cloned in a drinking glass with just water in it. I've done rooting hormones, no hormones, tried aloe vera, cloned in perlite, won't do rock wool....my favorite of all is just like what you did, just put it in soil, no hormones, moisten and put a sandwich baggie over the cup for a couple days under a cfl. No fuss, high success rate, nothing special

Attached Files:

16. U have the right idea, I would want to recommend losing at least half of each leaf, for water retention, to stop the growth hormone to produce foliage and switch to the rooting hormone within the cutting, therefor saving time on the process and bettering your chances of strong rooting once stable. A humidity cover would help u as well. Just sayin'

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum get it done!!
    Try new things and live a better life!

17. thefloweringman is right.  Cant believe I didnt mention that before.  Photosynthesis is no bueno at this point, so do everything you can to slow it down.

18. Aerocloner ftw!

19. Just build an ez cloner/aerocloner you will have 100% success rate, once you're dialed in with ph and water temp. You will get ridiculous roots with just water and rooting hormone. Add some roots accel from H&G and you're taking professional clones. I add silica too, but that's too expert level for a noob, causes too much of a ph fluctuation.

"I add silica too, but that's too expert level for a noob, causes too much of a ph fluctuation."

Because you're an expert, so a "noob" shouldn't attempt?

*LOL*

j