Ted Cruz says satellite data show the globe isn’t warming.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by well highdrated, Mar 25, 2015.

1. I'm not american and had absolutely no idea who Ted Cruz was before reading this article. I've since read more about him.  From what I've read, the guy doesn't seem like he would be a good president at all. I'm pretty sure the majority of people will agree that the earth is warming regardless of what reasons may be accounting for it. And to have a presidential candidate deny climate change is laughable. 

This is exactly how it is. We can't rely on current energy sources indefinitely. The more everyone works together,  the quicker we will have a solution.

How do you figure? You think climate change is something new? Invented and implemented by man?

One volcano can shit out more climate change in a day than man could in a lifetime.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/archive/2007/07_02_15.html

the thing is, you are not running for president. we can blabble about whatever we want on GC. but when you plan to take stage as a central political figure... at least, don't embarrass your country. and don't spit in the face of those that have actually dedicated their lives to research on this subject, or those who are clearly suffering the consequences of the sea level rise. 

http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

4. It cant be any worse than the major media outlets ;-)

5. To use 'global warming' and 'climate change' interchangeably is disingenuous.

6. I did not use the term global warming. However, rising temperature is one effect of climate change. So, I disagree that referring to the earths average temperature when discussing climate change is disingenuous.

7. Idk you look at the history of the world and temperature data and it shows that the temperature goes up in down over time. I'm not surprised the world is heating up. In a few years it will get colder. But Idk I think we should fix the 18 trillion dollar deficit first. Controlling the temperature of the planet takes years, where as that deficit can get fixed right up
    Plus I'm tired of whenever something gets fixed or done, prices go up and things cost more. And our dollar looses it value.
    Why can't Washington do something that can make our lives cheaper to live?????

8. My favorite part of every climate change discussion is when someone points out that the earth has gone through warming and cooling cycles in the past.

It's as though they think climatologists have never even heard of such a complex scientific theory, let alone take those cycles into consideration when forming climate change models.

9. the guy had his speech at Jerry Falwell University..

why is anyone taking anything he says seriously?

10. I wonder if he sat under Falwell for 20 years and didn't agree with his theology...

i bet he agrees with most of his nonsense.

12. Damn dude - you're quick! [​IMG]  

13. #33 AugustWest, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015

i have little else to do today [​IMG]

i know where you're going on that..
    but this fallwell guy is a bigger nutcase than Obama's crazy pastor.
    and he has much more influence.

i just think anyone using that venue to announce the candidacy for POTUS shouldn't be taken very seriously.

14. Determining the crazier influence is according to our subjective whims. Personally, I don't want a president steeped in bullshit and I don't care which trough of nonsense the candidate has been feeding his appetites.

But you won't have to worry - the press won't help Cruz figure out whether he's a Muslim or a Christian should he forget. And they certainly won't be defending any of his blatant discrepancies with fact. 

It will basically become another global tax scheme.

Poorer nations that can't affor energy effecient infrastructure and renewable energy sources will be taxed heavily, while developed nations won't. It will just be another economic weapon like predatory IMF loans.

This is just how I see it playing out geopolitically, I don't know anything about global warming, and I doubt anyone else does on this website.

so sea level rise is a predatory economic weapon (like IMF loans) aimed at Bangladesh to... flood them?

17. #37 fromTheOldCountry, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015

That is not the issue, the issue is comprehension of such seemingly unentangled ideas to the average person. It is hard to get through to those who know little anyhow, and are comfortable in the current status quo. Seems fine today outside, and what do I know about salinity, let alone evaporation, transfer of energy between molecules, anyhow I am hungry. But see my point? It is not just this website, it is beyond the average person. 

Also I would love to kick Ted Cruz square in the nuts. 

18. taking advantage of crisis is how dictators take power.

Every dictator in history has used some national or world crisis as justification for their politics

-yuri

i'm not sure who is the dictator in this case?

also don't you think that's some serious hoops to jump though... i.e. to somehow melt the icebergs over decades to flood some nations, in order to regulate oil and/or coal industry?

20. #40 *ColtClassic*, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015

I think you are purposely misrepresenting what I've said.

I believe the response of certain countries will be to implement taxation measures to curb energy use and steer countries towards renewables. This will have a more burdensome effect on countries who still have trouble accessing energy sources and rely on outdated and dirty energy.

I wasn't saying that global warming itself is an economic weapon... or that it is something that was intentionally manufactured for malevolent purposes.

Is that really what you got, or are you just having fun?