Seedling look sick after transfer to hydro

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by sn420, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Fill it up. Have an inch or two of the bottom of the netpot submerged in it. You can lower the level as the roots make it down.
    You can displace some water with the 2 liter's. I wouldn't freeze them unless you need to. You don't want the res too cold.
    You'll be glad you have a large capacity.
    Don't know what your version of decent is, but if it's making lots of bubbles you're pry good. You want the water churning. Not just little bitty bubbles rising to the top...

2. Nice setup
    I also would say ditch the top feed and go DWC. Can you post a picture of the air pump(s) you are using? More doesn't hurt. The hydro kind available on Amazon push ALOT of air but wow can they make a racket, worth it though cause they churn that water around snapping roots off lol
    You may also not need to do the frozen bottle routine with a 10gallon res, just keep the ambient temps in check and it should be pretty stable.

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1354378-hddani%27s-Journey-to-a-Harvest

3. lol Well, it doesn't need to be violently churning, but I like to see ripples.

4. Oh, I know what that's like. I've got a couple 110 liter pumps. 

5. A little tip/trick I use to tame those commercial pumps pulsing racket. 
    I put a T in the main line off the pump, and attach a small inner tube (valve core removed) for like a wheelbarrow or hand dolly.
    It acts kinda like an accumulator and smooths out the air flow a little. At least it seems that way to me. And it was only a few dollars to do.
    My pumps are relocated in another room, but that pulsing transfers all the way to the stones. The inner tube helped tame that.

6. Alright I've now took out the top feeder and did a full DWC setup.

The res is in the kitchen, I'm just bubbling out the chlorine for 24 hrs, then getting it set up with nutes and ph down.

So I filled the 10 gallon bucket with about 8 gallons of water. Water comes up above the net pot a half an inch.

Judging by the amount of water and the size of the bubbles and airstone, what do you guys think about the amount of bubbles (oxygen) in there?
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

7. Looks good. A little more air wouldn't hurt. It'll get you going though.
    At some point maybe upgrade or double the pump and stone you have now.

8. Okay great. Yeah I'll probably pick up another one with 2 long airstones.

Btw I'm kind of curious about how you control the water temp.

You say to not use ice water bottles in the res, but the temperature in the water after sitting inside the tent gets up to about 70. And I'm sure in the summer it'll be at least around 80-85. I don't have a water cooler, nor was I planning on buying it either.

If the temp goes above 70 isn't it likely to get some root rot? Or algae?

That's why I'm wondering why you guys say don't worry about the frozen bottles.

9. I see frozen bottles as more of a last ditch effort to get heat down in some emergency. You're better of to do whatever it takes to keep the whole grow area at reasonable temps.
    Keep light out of the bucket and plenty of oxygen, and you can get away with warmer res temps.
    You don't want drastic rapid changes though. That'll shock the plant.

Search and read up on benifitial bacteria tea, or running a sterile res. 
    Bleach is cheap...

10. Sounds like good advice. Thx! Will be looking forward to see this plant grow and share the experience.

Temperature isn't really a factor with algae, it thrives just fine in cooler temperatures. The only things algae needs are light and water (with a little bit of nutrients). As long as you keep the light out, you won't have algae.

Algae isn't a pathogen, it's a form of aquatic plant life.

12. It may be worth buying one of those sun screens that's designed for car windscreens. Cut a hole in the middle and slip over the plant. This will insulate it again the heat from above. Having your  air pump away from the heat will also help. How many litres of air per minute does your pump put out? 70℉ is borderline really, I wouldn't want it much warmer than that. If it does get warmer then using frozen bottles may be worth using, but be careful you don't over do it

13. Stick with the flat round stones. They'll be better than the cheap long ones from Walmart or wherever. 

14. #35 sn420, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
    Thanks guys! My little plant looks much healthier.

Right now there are no roots at the bottom yet, but the plant looks healthy.
    I saw the roots poking out of the Rockwool the other day.

As of now my plant is sitting on top of my old bucket, which is currently empty.
    For now I am pouring water+nutes on top and foliage spraying.

Should I wait to see a little root at the bottom of the net pot to switch out to my 10 gallon bucket with nutes and ph 6?

Or should I just do it even though there's no roots?

I'm a little confused to what I should do.

Thanks!

Picture update: before (sick) and after

image.jpg
    Before (sick drooping leaves) this was when I first made this post.

image.jpg
    Now. Looks much healthier.

15. #36 TheAnswer121, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
    why are you spraying it?

put it in your bucket, water level just below net pot

bubbles will keep hydroton moist, which the rockwool will siphon moisture from

your roots aren't going anywhere because they don't have to. you're watering them directly

jm$.02

16. Yeah, put it in its home.
    Like was said, just keep the hydroton moist. It looks soaked in the picture.
    I'd pry have the water level just into the bottom of the netpot, but if you've got enough bubbles popping and splashing, that'll do the trick as well. 
    If it gets all wrinkly and saggy, it's too wet. Adjust accordingly 

17. Okay. I'm gonna change buckets and report back.

On the side note: I noticed a tiny brown spot on my leaf and the new inner leaves.
    Should I be concerned? image.jpg

18. I Wouldn't worry too much about that right now. Keep an eye on it.
    See how it's doing in 24 hours.

19. How old is she there??

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum