Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Second attempt at edibles

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Reginar, Mar 23, 2015.

1. #1 Reginar, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
    Good day,

I'm a new member to the forum, and after a failed attempt last weekend, I've decided its time to educate myself on these fine arts of cooking. Now, lets start by saying that I tried to make brownies using cannabis oil this weekend and messed it up. I looked up a guide (but, underestimating the complexities, didn't look any further) and found a rather easy process which took maybe 2-3 hours, start to finish (grinding to eating the brownies).

The idea was pretty simple: grind up the weed, use as much oil as asked for on the package (100 ml, I apologize for the metric units(?)) and use as much as seems sensible. It was for 4 of us, and we hardly ever smoke, so 2.5 grams sounded fair. To be honest I'm unsure of the quality; I'm a new expat in this country and this is the first stuff I've bought, and although the guy seems legit its hard to tell for a novice. Suffice it to say half a gram got me pretty blasted with a simple bowl. Anyhow, back to the recipe. It said to heat the oil to the point where you see the occasional bubble, but not higher, and put in the stuff. Then, stirring it and keeping it at that temperature for like an hour. After, strain it, let it cool to room temp, and put it in the brownie mix. And from there on it's just normal cooking.

Like I said in the title, this didn't work. From reading the various stickies, I can see a few different problems: the first is no decarb, the thing where you heat it in the oven for a while. I suppose that would be additional step 1, and perhaps of great influence. From what I've gathered, grinding it, putting it in aluminum foil / a dish covered with aluminum foil and then in the oven for 25 minutes on 250 F / 120 C should work, yes?

Then the next part. We used sunflower oil. Read some stuff on this with saturated fats and such, and it seems like coconut oil is a better idea. We can switch to that.

Then, the time and method. We just put it in a pan on the stove, with the oil and weed in, stirring. Most guides here seem to recommend using an oven. Is that indeed preferred, and what time/method would you use? I suppose an oven dish, with the oil in it and covered with aluminum foil? Temperature/time recommendations?

Finally, the straining. We did that with those empty tea bags you can buy. I can see this fucking some stuff up, as perhaps it doesnt let through enough of the oil? Maybe one of those tea making mesh thingies would be better. Also a question.. Apart from the fact that it will make it taste much worse, can't we just leave everything in, so as not to lose anything at all?

The way I see it, if I get these steps right, it should all work out much better this time. There's some uncertainties left for me though, namely: should I let it freeze/cool overnight? It would be much more convenient if this is not needed. Can the entire thing be done in like 5 hours, realistically? And, is using butter a better idea? I suppose that would also need significant cooling time.

Thanks in advance!

Edit:
    I should say that now I'm mainly looking at BadKats - Canna Oil -  recipe for how to do it next time. The only thing Im wondering about is how essential the 2 hour freeze is?

2. Hey dude, I didnt read through the whole post but I just made some brownies last week and I was super unsatisfied :/ .. But I would just suggest to take as much time as possible letting sit in whatever to make sure it works so you're not out any good weed with some shitty brownies. I read you can let the oil and the weed sit together after de carbing for a couple of days to make it more potent. What I read actually said leave it for weeks but I'm sure a couple of days will added some extra potency along with the cooking process itself. Also, unless you're planning on eating a lot of brownies, and if you think you're capable, downsize the baking mix to 1/4 or something so each brownie itself is more potent. I myself didn't decarb (many of the tutorials I saw didn't have that part) but I really regret it, so definitely look into proper decarbing.

Also, as a side note to all this, especially to someone whose new. If you have the money I would suggest investing in a vape. 2.5 g of good weed lasts me two weeks of solid usage, it's so so so worth the money bro, and you can get them for pretty cheap (my magic flight launch box was on sale for $80). When I first bought it I probably got high upwards of 15-20 times on $40 worth of weed! And that's from having to spend $15 to get high with my pipe!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. #3 puddleglum, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
    Eyballing temperature ("heat the oil to the point where you see the occasional bubble") is unscientific. Better in my opinion to control the temperature using common kitchen equipment like: an oven, a slow cooker, or a double boiler.

Last time I made canna-oil, I simmered the ingredients (decarbed herb, coconut oil, lecithin) 12 hours in the slow cooker. [​IMG]

4. #4 mrsilly, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
    Hi Reginar

1. Make sure you decarb your bud first! Grind it, seal it in aluminum foil pouch. 20-30 min @ 220. Freshly harvested longer.

2. Make coconut oil with your decarbed bud.

3. Herb and oil and tsp lethicin in covered Pyrex. 45-50min @ 220.

4. Let cool then freeze with material over night.

5. Defrost then 2cd cook in oven, add tsp lethicin. 45-50 min @ 220

6. Cool strain and use in any recipe that calls for butter or oil

I like 1 oz ground bud or trim to 1 cup of coconut oil, works great. Doseing as follows

What you would smoke in one session? So if your usual sesh is with 1/4 g that would be how much you should eat. If you smoke 1g eat that.

We use brownies, cookies, cakes, sauces, salad dressing, gravy, any recipe that calls for fat we sub in our Canna coconut oil. You can even just spread it on toast.

I will use box brownies for the example. Takes 1/4 cup of oill

1/4 cup of medicated oil=7 grams tray of brownies cut into 14 pieces = 1/2 gram per brownie. Standard dispensary dose is .20 so you could say brownies made at this strength are 2way. Unless you know the % of THC in your product before processing you can not reliably say how many MG there is per serving. Our Pt's understand the above explanation fine. I guarantee the above recipe and system it is
    Based completely on BKS tech stickied at the top of the ediable section. If you have the time and read her tech she goes into every aspect of why and how. I have read this through many times and feel I have a complete understanding of what needs to happen. This is the condensed version.

Happy Mediables!

Mrsilly

5. I'll just ask here, but for the double boiling method, how "boiling" do you want the water to get? Like of course not all the way bubbling over but I wasn't sure if I left it all too hot or too cold during this process. An intended temp of the oil in during this process would be helpful too

6. Thanks for all your replies! To Squidlee, you're right, I made sure to decarb this time. The vaporizer is an interesting point, and I'm gonna think about it. I'm definitely not a power user but I do much prefer that delivery method. Maybe its time for me to look into some options for that, I'm sure there's a nice section on these forums about those.

To Puddle, that is very true of course. I based my method off of some tutorials (multiple ones actually) but you're right, it makes sense to be precise. I'm not sure of the variance on ovens (being an engineer, I feel like this could be pretty big actually), but it's a step in the right direction. Thermometers would be a good option, and double cooker is also fool proof. Anyway I'm going with oven now, as most tutorials suggest this.

Which brings me to mrsilly, thanks for the long post! I'm now on step 4, and I'll continue tomorrow. Probably eat it too then, maybe on friday, but I'll report back with the findings. I have not been able to acquire the lethicin stuff at all (I'm in Geneva, Switzerland), so maybe I'll have to look into import options. You guys have made some great points about why this stuff should work, and I believe you, but I'm too impatient for now haha. I did go out and get the coconut oil, as recommended. 
    I did have one question for you. In the original oil guide, BKS does step 3 and 5 after each other, and then step 4. But, in for example the guide on the capsules (which starts by making oil) your order is used. I'm also using your order now. I'm not sure what the freezing does, but perhaps it breaks down/converts some elements, in which case it makes sense to do it before reheating a second time so that these things also get absorbed by the oil.

Anyway, I'll let you know if it was a success or another failure. Dosage wise, it ended up being 2.5 grams (all I had left after last fuck up), which might not be worth the trouble, but then again this is the first (second) time baking so it's just to get the method right. Put it in 100 ml, which is 1 box of brownie mix I'll be using, which we cut into like, 8 pieces. Thats 0.3 grams per brownie, which sounds like a good serving based on how much I would normally smoke. Truth be told I'll probably end up eating another in far too little time and get quite far removed from this world, but at least then I'll be sure it worked!

7. Hey man, I'm no expert on this at all, but all the recipes indicate a temp of like 220 Fahrenheit, which is a little over boiling point. So I'm guessing you just want that water to just boil, nothing crazy but definitely boiling. Maybe up the times a little bit, but probably not much. On the order of minutes, so maybe make it like 50 instead of 45.

Hey, so I have a question. I did all these steps (apart from the lethicin because I couldn't obtain it on short notice) and now I let it cool down again. I'm left with a pretty light green (like, radiation green but not super bright) bunch of solid coconut oil. I'm wondering, is this normal? Many of the pictures Ive seen had their cannaoil be very dark, almost brown in color. Was the temperature not high enough maybe? It's a shame there's no good way of testing if it worked out, apart from taking a dose I suppose.

9. Not sure, mine was dark but I didn't let it harden up, I don't really remember how light it was :/ . But I'd try the whole process a second time to possibly increase potency just to make sure (and while your at it you can leave the oil sitting for a couple of days too) not sure if this will help but if you try it let us know the results!!