Killerzs Quarters : Home of the Unknown (1st Growth Journal : Surprise BagSeeds Grow)

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Billkillerz, Mar 23, 2015.

1. So yeah, as I said in the beginner subsection, after a couple of months looking on the internet and gathering information, i've decided to start growing. Hydroponics sounded great, but some system looked a bit too advanced for me. So i'll be using a drip system, that will eventually turn into a hybrid deep water culture. Here's my setup as of now :

For the grow light, i've bought a MarsHydro 300W Led light.
    For the growing medium, i'll be using exploded clay pellet.
    A 53L Rubbermaid storage box to use as a reservoir. 
    I have the choice between seeds of the same unknowed(unsure) strains, which could very well be a hermi, since its from the last bag that i've smoked or a feminized variety pack from an online seed bank (I'm a bit aware of the extra difficulties of growing different strains in the same system, that's why i'm asking here first if I should not try that).
    I'll be growing in a cabinet that i've modified to included fans ect.
    I've bought Advanced Nutrient Micro, Grow and Bloom for the nutrients.
    For the hydroponic system, I'll be using a 400 gph submersible pump, and a air pump for the air stones.

So I had a couple of questions : I'm still wondering how much nest pot should i put on the top, or to say otherwise, how much plant should I grow. I'm wondering about space issues, I dont think height will be a problem, but i was wondering how much plant can I fit inside a 20”L x 32”W x 65”H cabinet without putting too much stress on the plants? Also, I guess it will depend on how much plant I will grow, but how much liquid should I fill my reservoir ?

2. #2 TheAnswer121, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
    2 full size plants will fit comfortably in there imo

get some big net pots, so they are easily supported

you wanna fill the res to the bottom of the net pots or just below, drip system not necessary imo but i understand

same with the sub pump, what exactly is this for? the drip? seems like another added expense that won't matter for 2 1/2 of the 3 months it takes. just maintain water level and plenty of DO during the first couple weeks[​IMG]

subbed though, wanna see how it goes[​IMG]

3. #3 Billkillerz, Mar 23, 2015
    Hey TheAnswer121, thanks for the sub ! When i meant drip system it included the 400 gph pump, but i do get that in a deep water culture its useless. Its just that i've read that a drip system in Rubbermaid box like this tend to have the roots of the plants reach the reservoir water and turn into a somewhat DWC.

But hey, i'm here to learn, so if it seems useless to do a drip system, I could go for a straight Deep water system.I dont know if one is better than the other ?

Sorry if you may have trouble understanding some word, english is not my mother tongue.

What would be the maximum viable amount of plant that i could grow in a place this size ? I do get that 'im a beginner, its just that, where i'm from, I dont get my hand on that many strains of weed, Growing is almost the only chance that I have to smoke something different :p

4. #4 TheAnswer121, Mar 23, 2015
    all good man. you already got the stuff so set it up how you planned.

the drip imo is more for when they are young and just developing a root system. it's not a bad thing, i'm just a minimalist[​IMG]

the roots search for water. once the roots fill your net pots and move into the reservoir, the drip is no longer needed. you don't want roots growing up and out of the pot, right?[​IMG]

that's a pretty big resevoir, just ensure you have sufficient bubbles goin on. if res temps become an issue DO is drastically reduced and will severely stunt growth. make sure you can keep it cool.

i'm in us so off to bed, but can't wait to see it all set up and them bubbles poppin

i use 2- 5 gallon buckets, love my hydro

View attachment 1625080

[​IMG]

i'm just gettin ready for flower, good times ahead for both of us

Attached Files:

5. #5 Billkillerz, Mar 23, 2015
    Damn, those looks healthy !

I might have to rethink a bit about my setup then... I would love to do just a DWC system, but it seems a but more, how could a say... more advanced ? Also, with all those bubbles, does it makes lots of noise ?

6. #6 TheAnswer121, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
    na man. cant hear the pump at all unless ur in the closet[​IMG]

7. #7 Peflora, Mar 23, 2015
    The short answer is to go read my DIY Mini-Me F & D in the hydro section.

Plants prefer a dry period, which DWC soaks roots 24/7= bad

2.5g (<10 liter) rez easily feeding 2 small flood totes

Pictured are clones and seedlings in 2 totes. The best get moved from this tent to the main tents for final veg/flower

I grow one plant per ~ 2 x 2 footprint

The apparatus you see is from Discovery Center, a child's tent frame. 19" to center. As you can see one plant fills it, BUT, I also LST to open up the plants

Attached Files:

8. That's good to hear ! Stealth isnt much of an issue except odors, but you know... the lower the sound, the better :p

Still wondering if I should try growing different strains or just go with the same strain for the whole grow this time ?

Peflora, are you using somthing like ebb and flow ?

9. he's doing a flod and drain, the res fills up with the nutrient solution, then drains back to a separate res.

i'd start with one strain, only because they will share a reservoir. different strains respond different to various ppms, don't wanna fuck shit up first go of it, right?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.. But now i'm left with only the different strains, turn out the bag of seed from the same stains were not mature enough... so i was thinking about doing a DWC in a couple of separated container, testing certain amount of nute in each individual container, and switching plants if they appears to have nute problems.

11. I grow 8-9 plants per table in a couple of 3x3 E&F tables. Multiple strains in one table makes it a bit more of a challenge, but not that big of deal (It can shorten the learning curve to see how things affect different strains).

I started with 8 strains in 2 tables and I have them mixed together now (clones) and I'm down to 4 now, soon to be down to 2 or possibly 3.

A good flood table with the res below the table has a lot of advantages over modular E&F systems homemade or otherwise (in my experience). Easily changing numbers and arrangement of plants, easily moving plants from one table to another (veg to flower) are a couple. Mostly though a properly set up flood table fills fast, drains fast (and completely) and promotes better root development with frequent flood/drain cycles (in my experience).

I find that E&F tables are much easier to run and maintain than DWC or modular E&F (in my experience), and can produce just as good results. Proper drainage (fast and complete) is a critical factor in E&F in my experience.

Attached Files:

If you don't over fert (like most new growers usually do), you can generally find a nutrient balance to keep any strain healthy and happy (you might not dial in the optimum regimen for any one strain, but you weren't going to do that in a grow or two anyway). That's why I believe it can shorten the learning curve.

I've grown quite a few strains together over the years, and I haven't yet found a combination I couldn't keep all healthy.

How about WW x NL in the same table with purple indica?

Attached Files:

That's really a nice setup you got there ! I really dig the color of the purple indica ! I havent tought about this system, sounds nice ! I'll spend a couple of hours tonight to learn about it.

14. I think im gonna go with an E&F system, but I was wondering, when should I put my plants in the table and start the system ? When the seedlings stage starts ? Or after that stage ?

15. #15 str8jacket, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
    There are a number of ways to get seedlings/rooted clones into the system.

Some start seedlings/root clones in rockwool cubes. I started out doing that and personally found it to be a problematic method to say the least.

I use a low tech old school method of rooting clones in 50/50 vermiculite/perlite mixture and then transfering them to clay pellets in net pots.

Attached Files:

16. Ok, well i've started them in rock wool cube, but I was wondering if, once they are ready to be put on the E&F table, I should try to get them out of the cube or just let him there surrounded by clay pellet ?

17. #17 TheAnswer121, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
    once in the cube, there's no turning back

that root system is going to envelop the cube then they will branch out when placed into your net pots and surrounded by hydroton

18. #18 Billkillerz, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
    All right, so its ok to put rock wool cube into a hydroponic system then ?

Well good thing i've used the free seeds that I had as some kind of test subject before the real stuff. They all seemed so well yesterday when i've checked on them before going to bed. But when i've woke up, they were all five laying on the hydroton, like dead. Maybe in fear of overwatering them, I didnt gave them enough water. Or also, it looked like they had collapsed under there own weight. I kinda weird, they looked so healthy, but i get that at this early stage, things can go bad pretty quickly. The stem look really weak, kinda dark reddish, if I recall yesterday they were pretty light green... Anyway, i've watered them and used some prop to straighten them up a bit, i'll give you an update tomorrow when i check on them.

19. I started with rock wool on my plants about a week ago but I felt the rock wool was staying too wet so I was able to cut it into pieces and pull out the baby sprout without damage, just paused growth for a few days but I definitely think they didn't like the wool imo

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

20. #20 TheAnswer121, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
    why are you watering them at all

the point of hydro is that it's self sufficient

only thing you ever have to do is add to the res when water level drops

odds are they were too wet and suffocated