I felt extremely disgusted by humanity today

Discussion in 'General' started by Omega369, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Relevant video is relevant 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZR_IPRkLFY

• Like Like x 2
  2. I can honestly say that where I live most everyone would have stopped to at least ask if I needed help in treating him.

3. definitely man what you did was a sign of humanity most people nowadays are just robots. really awesome of you.

4. Yo I gotta get this weed smell out of my house

• Like Like x 1
  5. Everyone likes to think about what they'd do if they were in that situation but most don't even budge when it happens. It's more normal than you think and you shouldn't blame anyone for not doing anything. Sometimes, even if you do help the person in need, they end up suing you and blaming you for injuries they sustained.

• Like Like x 3
  6. I had a similar thing happen today. Saw this chick hit a cat with her car, she slowed down a little, saw it was squirming in pain and just kept driving. Fucking bitch. By the time I got there, another dude had pulled over and the cat wasn't moving.
    I carried it to the side of the road, didnt have a name tag or anything. I wrapped the cat in a towel that the dude had and he took it up to an emergency vet nearby to see if it was microchipped.
    Some fucking people though, lost faith in the vast majority of humanity a long time ago. People are fucking heartless. Credit to you though man, good vibes your way!

7. Empathy is now a rare commodity i would have helped. I'm glad there's people out there that still do the right thing. Don't let this discourage you or skew your world view. There's always people out there like us.

• Like Like x 3
  8. #28 Omega369, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
    I had my leatherman charge multi tool on me and took apart the escalator bottom undoing some torque hex screws which freed his elbow. I put my towel on the sides of his head to give it support and felt his body for any broken parts and covered his body with a jacket.

Security then showed up and sorta ripped into me how I should leave it to the professionals and the escalator isn't my property to take apart. They took down my info and said I may have to pay for damage to the escalator. They took over and told me to leave, paramedics have been called, and I took off.

The homeless guy kept saying "HE SAVED MY LIFE" pointing at me, so even if the security were dicks I just felt good I could help someone that day. I grabbed my jacket and took off.

Haha forgot to mention the homeless guy kept telling me to cut his elbow off to free it, but I took the safer route instead ;)

Vancouver, BC

Lots of people here are very self centred.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  9. #29 Majestic Raven, Mar 24, 2015
    It's called diffusion of responsibility, which leads to the bystander effect. Pretty interesting stuff, but yes it is shitty to witness first hand I'm sure. I would probably feel the same way, and I would definitely help in that situation [​IMG]

Where is that? I want to go there [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Good on you for helping the man, world needs more people like you.  

When you receive training in first aid, they actually teach you to specifically single out a person and tell them to call 911 because it's in people's nature to not want to take responsibility.  Supposedly, if you just yell, "somebody call 911!" nobody will do it because nobody wants to be that one person.  It's pretty fucked up that even after you singled the guy out he didn't even bother to do anything.  What a piece of shit.  

In any case, at least you were there to help.  I realize most people are shitty, but as long as there is at least one person to help in situations like this i feel like the human race will be okay.  I have a feeling it's always been this way.  

SECURITY ACTUALLY GOT MAD AT YOU?!! WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD

12. Well put yourself in securitys point of view. They probably seen/kicked this homeless guy out numerous times. Lets face reality this homeless guy wasnt going or comming from work, wasnt on his way home. Now you shut down/take apart escolator ( A noble thing I might add im just playing devils advocate) no proper signage saying its shut down another person falls down and hurts themselfs thats a winable lawsuit. Notice throughout the whole day nobody else fell down, so (not proven but assumed) this homeless man was drunk/drugged up.

Now from a taxpayers pov an ambulance was called, paramedics were used. This homeless guy doesnt pay taxes WE do, even after us paying taxes we also get charged for riding in an ambulance I doubt hes gunna foot the ambulance bill. So I dont blame people for not wanting to help a middle aged homless MAN. Theres a reason why women and children get off a sinking boat first.

13. People suck, yo.

• Like Like x 1
  14. #34 DrewtOkes, Mar 24, 2015
    believe me or not, i would of beaten the bricks off of those idiots just watching or stopping me from my goal of SAVE THE INNOCENT... ah shit i kinda went off onto a tangent~~~~  but same thought

edit: ey!

15. #35 boydamien, Mar 24, 2015
    I prolly gonna look a bit of a prick here,but if he was dirty looking and smelly i wouldn't have touched him.
    I would have done everything else to get him help.As in calling an ambulance etc.

In my defence i do have OCD and order and cleanliness is a major factor in my life.

16. The way some people view homeless people and drug addicts is beyond disgusting. I remember a friend of mine told me a similar story to yours. This guy was close to dying, and people around him didn't give two fucks. When my friend tried to get someone to help him, he even got some snarly comments in return 'He's not worth it' 'Leave him be' etc. 

It is really disturbing that this is where a lot of people are at today. 

I was also going to mention the bystander effect, where people just follow the stream, but nobody stopped even when you stopped so that just says something about people.
    You should be proud of yourself for caring, I wish everyone was more like you.

17. You're a boss Omega

18. #40 columba, Mar 24, 2015
    This reminds me of this video on youtube, a social experiment thing they did in Paris. 

I'll post if it I can find it. Jist of it is that this guy, in one instance, lay down on the street dressed like a homeless man. Coughing and spluttering…obviously in a bit of bother, and hardly anyone stopped, can't remember if a single person did actually.

He then does the exact same thing again...same spot, same coughing and groaning on the ground, but this time he's wearing a suit. And yep you guessed it, tons of people come to his aid to see if he's alright.