I felt extremely disgusted by humanity today

Discussion in 'General' started by Omega369, Mar 23, 2015.

1. I finished up a bike ride, heading home through a train station. Across the platform I saw a homeless guy trip and fall going down the escalator, hit his head causing it to bleed, his elbow got sucked into the mechanism at the bottom.

I ran over to help, but on the way over TONS of people of all types (suits, old ladies, teens, etc) were just walking by going as far to avoid making any form of contact or giving any help. Here this guy was bleeding on the ground, me trying to give him first aid and free him from the mechanism.

I yelled at some guy to call 911, and he scurried away to catch the train. Not a single person stopped to help, call 911 or assist in the first aid (it's a two man job).

It was an eye opener for me. I just felt extremely disgusted at people and it made me very angry. I realize people just don't want to get involved, but if it were a guy in a suit or a super model, I bet everyone would be trying to help.

Would you help out in that situation? I just feel like as a human it's what we should do.

[​IMG]

2. Yeah, we're all fucked. Basically. 

3. It doesn't seem to be a bit uncommon for people to look away and keep going by a homeless (or appearing as such) person in medical distress, unfortunately. How many are found on streets or park benches dead, likely just shortly after being shrugged off as drunk? This story is heartbreaking, but not too shocking. To not even call 911 though, damn.

Sounds like you handled the situation like a boss, though. You freed him (I assume), you applied first aid, you singled out an individual to call 911 while you were working. You just might have made a huge difference for this dude that nobody else bothered to. Good on you, man.

What came of it? How's he doing now?

4. People never cease to amaze me, in the worst of ways. Common sense and common courtesy is far from common in today's society.

5.  Welcome to life as a pessimist. It's a lonely and depressing existence, but it's the truth. 

6. Where the FUCK do you live? Thats some BULLSHIT right there. I would of told everyone to make sure they dont die today, because that kind of stupidity gets them killed!

i realized that around nov 2013. age 24

sigh, i know right.. it's sad. it really is.

^ seriously, i think i would of killed myself already if it wasnt for my mother/ not knowing what the fuck is after you die..

8. I would help in that situation. But what you say doesn't surprise me in the least. I would feel peace knowing that I helped, and I wouldn't give much thought about the people who didn't and kept walking passed. I see it as a waste of my energy to spend it thinking about things negatively like that. Simple yet complicated. If I was one who just walked by something like that though, it would bother me for a while, so I couldn't just keep walking.

9. Unless you've supremely wronged( for the need) me I'a fucken help anybody in need/ injured. That's just what people are supposed to do.

10. Homo sapiens can be selfish, but don't judge every human being as that, some are actually compassionate and caring. However, you should keep your guard because people can be conniving and manipulative. Question of the day: Technology each day is advancing, but are we?

11. Even life in hell is better than non-existence ;)

12. Oh man, I drove past a wreck one time instead of stopping like I typically do. The only time I've ever seen a semi wreck, aside from the time a few buddies and I were side-swiped by one. He was going down a steep grade on the opposite side of the interstate, going too fast and swerving through the two lanes. There's a bit of a curve right at the bottom of the grade, he lost it and ran into the median, and jack-knifed trying to pull back out. There was absolutely no shoulder at all on the left side, so I couldn't stop there and run down into the median to check on him. I briefly considered pulling to the right shoulder and trying to run across the road to the median, but I decided against it, kept going and called 911. I still feel guilty about that now and then.

13. Awwww Omega, I give you props for helping the dude. I'm not surprised people react that way, they either ignore them or record them if they consider it funny enough. I lost my faith in humanity long ago, but I'm glad there's still people like you who stop and help someone in need. Homeless people are always neglected because everyone assumes they are society's fuck ups that are addicted to drugs or w/e. 

I would have definitely helped.

14. You think that was bad? Omega man, you should see the shit that goes down at dennies after midnight

Yeah, that's really messed up. I used to work in emergency services and it's surprising how many people don't stop to help. Good for you for stopping. I do too.

16. haha...I feel bad for this one time I saw this old dude trip in the parking lot at my old job, and did'nt do shit.
    I was outside on my break and he's over there hobblin across the lane in front of the store, and he's a hobblin, and he's tryin to get in the sto- BAM, he just fell forward and ate shit. I was a bit of a distance away out on a smokebreak, and the only thing I thought was "..I'm on break, this is my 10 minutes, I ain't dealing with that." and I stepped to the side of the building behind a wall.

17. #17 8ight, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
    I saw an "experiment" like this on some youtube channel. A guy posed as a homeless man and fell or something. Noone helped him. Then some guy in a suit or something fell and everyone rushed to his aide. Pretty shitty. It was all staged (the homeless man + suit I mean), but yea. 

Props to you for helping out. 

18. The Good Samaritan.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. God yes i would help! I dont care even if im on my way to an interview of a lifetime. Someone is fucking bleeding. Where the fuck was this? I wush i could say it surprises me. But it doesnt really. :( is the guy ok?

20. People get that bystander effect, they'll stand around watching shit happen but won't act, assuming someone else will stand up