Need help with first grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Odissey, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Greetings everyone,

I am new to this forum and so am I to growing. I am doing my first grow with an extremely low-budget as I am a foreign student.

Exactly two weeks ago I germinated 3 seeds directly on soil, all from Royal Queen Seeds: One Power Flower, One Special Queen and one Special kush. However, since I am a total begginer and I'm doing my first trial and errors, I germinated the kush and the queen in a soil that turned out to be horrible for the seeds, and had them transplanted. The flower power germinated quickly and has been growing vigorously.

At some point, even after the delay the other two seeds had, they eventually caught up with the Power Flower.

Meanwhile, the color of the Power Flower plant was off so I bought a fertilizer and it now looks really good. However, the other two don't seem to have enjoyed the nuts. The Queen isn't showing any signs of growth for the last 3 days, and the Kush even thought she is growing fine, she has now yellow spots on the leaves which I don't know if they are from light burn or nut burn.

The difference in size of the Power Flower plant which is now growing it's third set of leaves is ridiculous compared with the size of the Queen which doesnt even have proper second leaves and has yellow cotydelons.... I also suspect I overwatered them, I water homogeneously (few amounts of water) when the first 3 cm are dry.

My setup is laughable but try to bear with me I have a very reduced budget. 

So I am using two 65 W photo CFL's (5500K), a fan and since they are seedlings they are placed in tiny little all white box. I have ordered another 2700K 75 W CFL as well to use when they are bigger.
    I am currently doing a 18/6 schedule.
    With this kind of lightning, what should I expect the three plants to yield?

I wonder if anyone could give me some advice on my setup, what is happening to the plants etc.

Also, how do I SAFELY upload a photo?

Thanks in advance!

2. With that lighting i wouldnt expect much man, you need more lights. That sounds good enough for one plant

3. Too many variables to guess at yield. With lighting like that the guess would be pretty small though. As far as the plants growing differently, they're different strains so that's going to happen. Some grow faster, some grow slower. Some eat up nutes like there's no tomorrow, some hardly need anything. If there's cotyledon leaves they don't need nutes yet. Cotyledons have everything a young plant needs. Eventually they'll yellow and fall off, then it pretty much depends on your soil as when they'll need nutes.

4. First thing i learned was to have good soil.dont overwater and light feed of nutes after a couple weeks to see how they like it. Important stage because lots of peeps feed to much and nute burn and lock out can occur.leave plants alone.dont maul them to death.lol

5. Thank you all for your replies. 

How much more light do you think I would need? What if I FIM and LST them, while keeping them small and the lights very close? Do you think it would work/yield something acceptable? Or do you think I should focus on the stronger one and leave the others as "parasites"

The problem is that in the Netherlands it is veery difficult to find proper equipment, and same goes for soil which I think is not suited at all for my plants....

So should I not feed them until cotyledons fall? Because the Power Flower was getting a very light green colour and it went away when I fed her.

Another thing I would like to ask is if it would be acceptable to put them in the bathroom for the dark period.

6. #6 killset, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
    CFLs have an actual and an equivelant watt rating. Go by the actual, it will be the smaller of the 2 numbers. At least 100 actual watts of cfl per plant for a decent yield. 6500k for veg, 2700k for flower, or mix them up. Rather you keep all the plants is up to you. You risk burning them easier till after the cotyledon leaves fall off. When you do start nutes, start light and work your way up, 1/4 dose. You may have gotten lucky, just be gentle with young plants. Lst , fim all that's up too what you want to do. Personally I don't grow a plant without LST or scrog. I also don't fim or top anymore, but that's just my choice. LST and scrog gives me what I want. You might as well take advantage of the time the plant is growing and train it to get the best yield possible in your situation . Few minutes every so often to gain more final product is a win in my book

7. Well I was talking about the actual and not the equivalent so I have 2x65W +1x75W =205 W and I possibly can add a 23W.
    Wait but doesn't SCROG require Topping anyway? Do you think I would better off focus on just one or two plants? would I get better chances of a higher yield than trying to grow the three of them?

Also, does SCROG increase the required vegging time?

8. View attachment 6979

So this what my plants look like now, 2 weeks and 2 days from seed. The special Kush seems to be growing well even though it appears to be severely nut burnt? The Special queen hasn't been growing for 3 days even though the leaves look healthy, any thoughts what it might be?

Suggestions are appreciated.

9. #9 killset, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
    Scrog does not require topping at all. Some people do, some people don't. Scrog only refers to the net that causes the plant to grow horizontal. I personally don't think its necessary to stress and slow up a plant for 1 more main top, that's going to take time to recover. When I'm achieving a bunch more main tops simply by bending the plant over and not slowing it up at all. But that's just me.

I think you need to decide how many plants you want to grow. If you want to grow all 3 get a bit more light. You have enough to grow 2 decently. Nobody can tell you what to do, you need to decide.
    Scrog is the king of yeild. Whatever little bit it increases veg time is made up big with the final outcome if done right.

10. If I LST circularly around a big pot would I achieve similar results to the Scrog?

What do you think of the Kush? Should I ignore it and just focus all the light on the Power Flower? you think if I put all the light to only this plant I will achieve a higher yield?

If I put the other two plants with indirect sun from window or put them parasiting the other plant could I expect something like 2-5 grams from each plant?

11. By the way, I am very confused now. The kush who looked like it was going to die, is now bent at the top and it seems to be flowering??
    It even smells like it's flowering! Is it possible that with the damage it has taken from the nut burn has triggered some kind of survival mechanism that made it start flowering? 

12. Hi, if its drooping downwards maybe youre over watering. If that strains an auto its too early for 2 weeks since sprouting. Check if there are new nodes and that will be the signal of auto flowering. If you see nodes try some lst to expose them to more light or use scrog. Lastly Try getting them closer to the lights. Good luck

13. I'm sorry are you living in the Netherlands and you saying you can't get the proper equipment????? Very confused lol

14. She is not an auto. She is a regular feminized kush strain. She's forming a lot of leaves between stems so I guess she has light enough?

15. Well if you can tell where I can find it. I have searched all over and it's really hard to find. I don't know if you live in the Netherlands or not but it's definitely not what I expected in terms of easiness to grow. 

PS: I do not live in Amsterdam if you're wondering

16. Really!!shit man I thought that be the easiest place to get sorted dude

17. In Amsterdam perhaps. I mean the seeds are really easy to get but lightning, soil, mylar, ph meters, etc. Only in ebay have I found.

18. Hey. New leaves forming is good sign. Just make sure that light gets to them. If those are nodes you probably need to LST those higher branches so you will have more bud sites. I guess in your setup its enough. Try to position your lights parallel to the box. Somyou can maximize those 65w lights. I use a 65w 6500k and 4 24w 2700k. I get better yield when i LST. You would know if theyre getting enough light if theyre tacoing or curling upwards