My First Grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by lilcomposer, Mar 22, 2015.

1. So, I've finally finished my very first harvest! I had 1 Amnesia, 7 Moby Dick, and 4 Kush. Unfortunately the Kush ended up foxtailing and had a very low yield. My buddy grew the very same genetics from the same breeder, and it looks like the genes were just bad...Nothing I can do now, though...

Anyway, I used Advanced Nutrients but I intend to switch to a bulk fertilizer company. I really don't care for the price associated with the hype and marketing of Advanced products.

So, of my 12 plants I will say that I lost four Kush but I intend to make BHO, so there will be some recoup with these plants, and I kept some for personal smoke, and it's absolutely wonderful! I had a 3 kW grow room; three HPS bulbs. Of these 8 plants I harvested and weighed I ended up with 5.4 lbs. I suppose with the Kush I would have over seven, but I'd rather just make Grade A BHO [​IMG]

DSCN0222.JPG

DSCN0246.JPG

DSCN0255.JPG

DSCN0268.JPG

DSCN0271.JPG

DSCN0273.JPG

DSCN0274.JPG

View attachment DSCN0281.MOV

DSCN0272.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. #2 GoldGrower, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2015
    That's weird, fox tailing usually adds to the weight, not take it away. Great yield altogether though, for the first time those figures are pretty amazing

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks! You're right about the Fox tails. However, there were simply not enough to make up for the yield. Sad, but people don't want Fox tails. The smoke is great, though!

5. Great harvest!! 5.4 pounds and you lost 4 plants? Still a total win in my eyes haha. If you don't mind me asking. If this was your first grow, can you give me an approximation as to your start up costs? I'm all in and would love to do a similar system to yours, but I plan on doing a scrog with mine as well. Regardless... awesome buds totally jealous!! How's the smoke?

6. Thank you! Yes, I decided to bag some good bud from the Kush for myself and some patients, but the remainder, I think will go to BHO. I have a patient with Parkinson's whom gets great use out of oils and wax. The smoke, by the way, is AWESOME. I WISH people wouldn't dislike the fox tail, but...

Anyway, my start up cost was a little over $6,000. I thought that, if I was to do this, that I would do it correctly. So, it panned out! I will more than recoup the start up cost. So, in both our opinions this is a win! I really appreciate your kind words. The last time I was on here was when I was starting up and a lot of people ripped on me for jumping in so deep off the bat. If you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer. The reason I posted this was to gather attention that a first grow can be great!

The smoke and smell on the buds are just wonderful. The kush has some heavy crystalline on the bud and fan leaves, which I left intact. Perhaps I can get a photo from my phone onto here to show you.

7. Would you by chance be willing to speak over Skype or chat or something? It would be awesome to talk with you about your process. And I'd love to see more photos! Did you clone and start a new garden? Or are you going to try a different strain?

8. I think we could try skype, but I have a poor internet connection. What else could we do real-time? I got clones from a gentleman associated with a company in the Netherlands. He gave me one Amnesia clone (turned out to be my largest plant at 1.1 lbs.) and the other Moby and Kush. I tend to go for proven genetics from a close source; so I can see what came directly before my generation of clones. Now I have ALL Moby due to their proven yields so far. 

By the way...

I'm trying to get people to see this post...but NO one does. I even posted it under a different part of the forum after I saw that my post SHOULD be there...Any ideas?

9. None at all for the post problem. I actually just came back to grass city I stopped using the forums for a while but decided there is just too much information to be passed up on here. I hope others see this post because it gave me some more hope for a decent first harvest haha. I read all these chaos stories

10. What's a fox tail? :huh:

11. Fox tailing is generally what happens when too much heat or light is on the plant and, instead of thick, round buds, the bud tends to shoot off into finger-like appendages...

What people? I love fox tailing. It gives you extra bud.

Fox tailing is when a bud has pretty much finished growing and then sprouts elongated branches of pure bud near the end. Common with white widow and cheese strains as well as others. I have a blue cheese that always fox tails 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. To be honest, I love it, too! For some reason the dispensaries near me a more concerned with the way the product looks than how it smokes. Which is a total shame since it smokes ever so beautifully. 

I LOVE your bud, Gold Grower! 'dat purple. Oh, dat purple!!

• Like Like x 2
    I have heard that before with dispensaries. I've never understood why the shape makes a difference lol. 

Yeah that purple looks great doesn't it, I love blue cheese

• Like Like x 1
  15. Indeed, very sad. But the bho will have a little extra kick to it with raw flower!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Blue Cheese is one of my favorite strain too...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Agreed! It was the very first strain I bought when I got my card!

• Like Like x 1