Lower fan leaf discoloration. MJ Doctor needed.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by SubliminalWeeney, Mar 22, 2015.

1. What type of medium; soil or hydro? Soil
    What brand and type of soil? In a super soil mix with black forest compost, Canadian Spaghphum peat moss, perlite, garden lime, tomato tone, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, and blood meal but for each transplant up until now my soil had very little phosphorus and I didn't have azomite.
    Indoors or outdoors? Indoors
    What strain? Pineapple Chunk and Super Lemon Haze(Most affected)
    How old are the plants? 7 weeks into veg
    What type of lights and how many watts? 600 watt mh w/cool tube
    How far from the lights? >10 inches wihin the last few weeks because its getting crowded
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? watering was every 3 days, but since changing to 5 gal my first a and second watering were 5 days apart. Boogie brew from local hydro store/distilled water/nematode mix
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? No feedings other than boogie brew which is high in N
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? 7.0 last time I checked but since transplant I haven't checked through fear of over watering
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? Low 75 high 85
    What size pots? it was 1 gal for a long time up until last monday
    Any bugs? Look real close. There were fungus gnats, but when they were in 1 gal I had topped them with an inch of sand, but now that I transplanted I had watering with a gracious amount of nematodes.
    Any other pertinent info? The sativas are most affected thus far, but maybe that's just genetics rather than susceptibility Theres two theories I have here, either the lack of azomite is causing some mineral deficiency, or I'm over watering? if you notice on the SLH the bottom fan leaf appears as if it is snapped from weight, however that may have just been my own doing as I have to get a little rough just to get under the bushy girls just to water.

Any ideas? let me know if any better/other photos are needed and I will gladly go take them! really need some advice from some elder green thumbs!

Attached Files:

2. Also if anyone recognizes a phosphorus deficiency that is a possibility also. There wasn't much phosphorus in the original mix I had made because I thought N&K were a little more important in veg.

Seems actually very likely, good stuff with the chart I actually just watered them with a dilution of the soil I had prepared for flower so hopefully that gives the girls enough room to expand there roots to the phosphate rich soil. Thanks man!

Any other tips/theories/advice and such is still welcome I will be treating for low phosphate and see if it helps. will up the dilution rate of soil prep runoff tea and do some lollipopping to see if it helps! 

4. Personally, I don't think you have any deficiency currently going on. I believe that the damage to those leaves happened in the past (battle scares). Fan leaves are like pages in a history book that tell the story of the plant's life. The farther down the plant, the farther you're looking back into history.

Deficiencies that start showing at the bottom and work up generally effect the plant more evenly than that (all the bottom leaves).

5. give us a closer shot like in the canopy kinda ya know

Then ill be able to tell the true nature of your problems

6. is this good? this was last night before watering.

Attached Files:

7. u are over-watering and overfeeding SLIGHTLY. let those babies dry out. Your roots will attack you in the middle of the night if you dont

I waited a good 5 days to water this time, but I usually wait until its rather dry. Ill have to try pushing it back a day or so, I ordered some hydro farm moisture meters that should be in tomorrow ahahah let me post some more pics that I just took this was this morning after watering and they looked happy to get the drench.

Attached Files:

9. Each canopy shot is followed by a shot of the selected concerning leaf sets

Attached Files:

10. Is it possible for the leaves that are lower and have less available light to just yellow and fall off? Like this May be a wild guess, but I transplanted 1 week ago and the roots were rather well established. Is it possible that my girls were running low on available nutes in the soil and decided that since these leaves were less efficient at receiving light that they were expendable?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. Yes I've heard that over watering can cause yellowing, but would it be as rapid of a response? I mean within the last week or so those few leaves went from green to yellow.

12. thats about right man. If you have good growth it will drop leaves....normal. U are a little shy with the perlite tho. Other than some soil composition tweaks those look full. Its really black and dark in this room u are tending.  Any way you cant paint everything white

Im passin out ill study your plants tomorrow and get back to ya after class. Thanks for the pics IDK what grow you are on but keep it up

13. #14 SubliminalWeeney, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
    You got a good eye bud lol I was short because I was a little broke when I had made the mix and ran out of perlite is say at a like 33% perlite mark. I would've liked 50/50 perlite but couldn't afford it in the budget, but good thing I'm getting the moisture meters Tomorow ahahah and yeah I plan on doing that before my next grow, I wanted to rubberize it first and I went cheap on the paint instead of ordering some good white polymer based paint. And it's my first grow, I hope that's a good thing you can't tell! Thanks for dropping by bud! Really hard to get some responses on some posts lately!

14. #15 SubliminalWeeney, Mar 23, 2015
    Ohp and just remembered that I top dressed with peat moss because that's what I used to drench the soil with nematodes. I had red solo cups and filled them with peat moss and watered them full with a nematode dilution. The soil underneath that has a little better distribution of perlite, but I am a little short, and will definitely not cheap out on my roots health next time.

15. The lack of perlite is your problem. Peat holds water too well.
    It causes overwatering issues. Unless you fix your perlite deficiency your plants won't improve.
    Once upon a time I had the same problem. My plants would go a week before drying out enough to water again.
    Then I fixed it by adding more perlite.

16. #17 SubliminalWeeney, Mar 23, 2015
    Is it really that big of a problem? Where the roots are established it's more like 50/50 and that's a majority of the top layers of the soil. I transferred from 1 gal to 5 gal which are more tall than anything. There's probable about 3 gal below it and and about 1 gal around them if that. The remaining gal on top foot of soil is the original soil which was fine with drainage. It looks bad because I top dressed with about and inch of peat moss/nematode mix. Should I peel back this layer since my nematode treatments are done or would it make no difference?

17. u waterproofed the whole room? Thats sweet man

Now that im looking your yellow leaves are saying flower me.  When does countdown to christmas begin

18. I really hope that's what they are saying, because I'd really hate to have to add more perlite and hurt the roots that are venturing out into the new soil. I'm guessing another couple weeks or so. I want to do Scrog but have to get my girls to stretch to about 10 inches above the bottom of the door jams(which is about where they are at now). Just doing a little super cropping and Lst to try and expand the inner nodes that have potential. If you want to check out my progress from the beginning I have a journal/cabinet build you can drop in to and check out!