Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Medical Marijuana in Legal States. Still worth it?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by muddymcphereson, Mar 22, 2015.

1. I don't live in Colorado or any of the states that have legal weed, but I've been curious about those who use marijuana medically and do. Is it still worth it to go through the medical marijuana program, or is it just more convenient to go buy retail? I know that this choice doesn't apply to those under 21 using marijuana medically, and that medical marijuana users get tax discounts and can possess larger quantities than recreational users. Still, are there any medicinal users out there that just decided to drop out of the medical marijuana program, or was it still worth it? If so, what were your personal reasons for staying or leaving?

2. It's absolutely worth it for me.  It's cheaper than the recreational stores, and that's the only other way to legally acquire cannabis.  And I'm a bit of a stickler for rules.  

But more than that for me, the recreational stores don't sell what the dispensaries do.  I need the high-cbd stuff, and also I rely on lab testing for getting more accurate dosage.  At least for now, the dispensaries carry more of the strains I want.

3. #3 Msnarls, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
    From what I've read and heard, once retail stores open here in Oregon next year, pot is going to be taxed pretty heavily while OMMP stays the same. So in my opinion, I'd rather pay the $200 a year and get cheaper weed than pay the high taxes. I haven't done the math so I don't know what ultimately ends up being cheaper, but it sounds like you could easily pay more than $200 in taxes over the course of a year which would make medical cheaper.

I also need access to the medical-strength high cbd strains for my epilepsy. I don't know if the recreational stores will sell anything like that.

4. matching strain to the condition is not really going to happen in a rec store unless the bud tender was in a dispensary first and brought the knowledge over to the rec store. getting the right strain to the patient is more of a medical thing but lots of cannabis users know what is what so know ahead of time what strains they need whether in a rec or med store.

what sort of qualifications do budtenders need?

i was under the impression they just pushed things that needed to get sold..
    are they all actually qualified in some sort of field?

6. no qualifications just heard it from the patients type of thing. that guy came in got that strain and fixed that condition. enough of that happening and a pattern emerges to place on particular strains. that is all they have to go on just like someone who grows it him/her self and experiments for effects knowing this strain does that and that strain does.....

there is certainly no definiteness and each new batch they get even of the same strain will be different and require new experimentation.

7. I don't know what the scene on the ground looks like in places like Colorado and Washington, but I was under the impression, that (at least in Colorado), there were dual purpose medicinal/retail dispensaries. So, for those who need the high-CBD strains, couldn't a non-medicinal user request the same strains available to medicinal users? Or, is there more separation I'm not aware of (i.e., only medicinal patients can buy the strains offered in medicinal dispensaries)?

8. There are classes you can take, at least around here (WA).

9. Medical will be a thing of the past.
    Why would they keep them open when people will have to go to a state ran shop a be taxed out the ass for it.

10. What kind of classes are here in WA? curious.

11. http://www.cannabistraininginstitute.com/courses/  At some point, I want to take all three medical cannabis courses they have.  They also have business classes.

12. not a Colorado resident either but the strains available will be set by who needs what and where. med dispensaries will have more of a cbd profile available as per sick patients requests where rec stores will carry more have fun go smoke a J type strains with higher thc for the effects. people looking to get high will not seek out high cbd strains mostly just people looking for pain relief will

13. I'd be a bit concerned taking courses about the medical applications of marijuana from an organization whose advisory board has no real doctors (either medical or scientific).

CTI's Advisory Board:
    http://www.cannabistraininginstitute.com/about/cti-advisory-board/

The closet is "Dr." Michelle Sexton, who has an ND, not an MD. While Dr. Dominic Corva does indeed appear to have a PhD, his degree is in Geography.

Profile of Michelle Sexton
    http://www.bastyr.edu/people/alumni-researcher/michelle-sexton-nd

Profile of Dr. Dominic Corva
    http://cannabisandsocialpolicy.academia.edu/DominicCorva/CurriculumVitae

Without access to their course materials, one cannot say how medically or scientifically accurate their courses are, but it does not bode well.

14. Just a way for them scam the suckers.
    At least with Oaksterdamn its name carries a little weight.

15. I hate to burst your bubble, but Oaksterdamn is not much better. A list of their faculty page doesn't reveal much expertise as an MD or PhD in medical science.

http://oaksterdamuniversity.com/category/faculty/

Their science instructor is Paul Armentano, who does not appear to have a medical degree or advanced science degree. That fact does not preclude someone from teaching the science of medical marijuana, but an instructor with an MD or PhD in a relevant field, such as biochemistry or behavioral pharmacology, would carry more weight.

By contrast, consider the Advisory Board and Board of Directors of NORML, which does have some bona fide physicians and relevant scientific advisors:

http://norml.org/about/board-of-directors
    http://norml.org/advisory-board

My point only being that if medical marijuana wishes to gain greater acceptance to the medical and scientific community, it needs greater support from individuals within those communities.

16. They are terriable as well but their name carriers weight just for their rep in the industry. They are just as bad of scammers as the rest.
    I went to a real college and got a real degree that will get me in the industry.

17. I do agree having actual medical and scientific MDs and PHDs would help our case so much more. BUT wondering if anyone has heard the latest on WA prop to get rid of dispensaries and change our limit of both plants and dried material. That bothers me.

18. #18 stealth.or, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2015
    Be aware that medical licensing puts your firearm ownership at risk* should that be of concern. You will need to check a particular disclosure box on DOJ applications. 

* despite the explicitly diaphenous grammar of the second amendment.

19. I did not know that was an issue in Washington state. I do not have, but do plan on getting, a carry permit due to being alone a lot in a bad neighborhood and two home invasions in one year. Crap. Tired of our freedoms being messed with

20. Just looked it up. Thank you for letting me know. Maybe I won't renew the license