The Culture of Legalizing Stupidity and Weakness

Discussion in 'General' started by monkeycake, Mar 22, 2015.

1. What do you think about this opinion piece?

Source: http://subversify.com/2012/01/06/the-culture-of-legalizing-stupidity-and-weakness/

2. I'll take long rambling bullshit for 1000, Alex.

3. Lol it's like a 6 minute read. Or you can skim. Or read parts. How's the bachelor's degree coming along?

4. #4 Lenny., Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

or presidents, or actors, or professional athletes, millionaire entrepreneurs, doctors, lawyers, the fucking creator of the operating system she's probably using to type that on

lol 

i think it's silly. ironically she's using weed as a crutch for the failures of people even though she's speaking out against people doing that.

5. #5 iAmBetty, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2015
    Edit: perhaps that was sexist

6. This is an "opinion", not a fact. Like the old adage said, "people fear what they don't understand". Also, this hate is disguised as lack of comprehending the complexities of the Cannabis plant and the various aspects of how it affects the world (globally and locally). The way an individual was brought up (or conditioned) will most likely factor in to their perception of reality.

Another key, social identity theory. People who identity within a certain group would deframe (insult or diss) others that are different from their group. Usually, this creates a them vs. us notion, which itself, is a fallacy.

7. People like that need cannabis the most!

8. I wonder if anyone actually agrees with the author's opinion. It's a real circle jerk here.

9. Well, it is an opinion piece backed up by what is no more than more opinion pieces.

Look at it this way; it is like takin' a bullshit sandwich and turning it into a double-decker bullshit sandwich.[​IMG]

10. "They will need a sudden hair cut and dash off, returning with glassy eyes."

Yeah, that's always my excuse when I sneak out for a puff...

11. fuhhh.... well, let see.

what was the question again??? 

It's an opinion piece. Not much more to say or discuss, because by calling all 'potheads' delusional, she's basically putting up a wall that negates any counter-arguments made by a 'pothead.' Her opinion is right, our opinion is wrong because we're delusional addicts. You can't win with people like that, so just smile at her ignorance and enjoy your day. 

In fairness, people like her are never going to accept most pro-marijuana content, because the majority of it seems targeted at stoners. I watched a pro-marijuana documentary recently, and it had people like Snoop Dog in it. C'mon... Snoop's cool, but putting him in a documentary basically removes all credibility for people who are against marijuana to begin with. 

13. That's not as n opinion piece.

It's a prohibitionist manifesto.

14. She doesn't explain why treating addiction as a criminal offense instead of a medical problem improves society.

Countries like Portugal have cut down on drug use by not treating addicts like criminals but instead treating their addiction medically.

Prohibition has ruined and derailed millions of lives with unnecessary criminal records.

This is a big hole in her entire argument.

Addiction is a medical issue. Leave the criminal justice sysyem out of it.

15. Sounds like somebody could use a smoke

16. What, you never sneak out for a haircut at 9:30 at night? Just the other day I was out buying some visine and the cashier looked at me and discreetly handed me a card for NA. They KNOW, bruh.

17. Also she skips over the fact that alcohol kills 40,000 Americans every year and cannabis doesn't kill anyone.

Why should stoners be treated like criminals when alcohol and cigarettes actually kills the people addicted to them?

Is smoking weed, getting the munchies and watching Adult Swim worse than death?

18. Generalizations upon emotionally charged generalizations made from a single person's life experience, seems legit. And no, teen alcohol abuse is actually on quite a decline. I'd bet this individual believes violently crime in the US is at an all time high as well :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter how much you want it or how much you think it's for the best, you will simply never render the population 'substance free'. It's naive to believe that it's even remotely possible. People have been getting high on assorted substances for thousands of years. One could even stretch to say that the desire to alter one's consciousness is a natural human desire. No sympathy for any pain one's trying to mask, just insults for trying to mask said pain.

We should let cartels dominate the drug market, because if we take that away, they might find another way to make money? Sound logic.

I almost found some of the accusations personally offensive, then I remembered this broad doesn't know me, or any of us, from Adam. Then I'd have to start taking sweeping insults about being male, young, Mexican, from the southern US, etc. personally too. Lol, yeah right :laughing:

I can't see any intelligent people who are opposed to recreational marijuana use getting behind this article. It is purely opinions, stereotypes, and "I feel".

19. Hell, one of her listed reasons that 'potheads' are all nothing but useless and selfish is that some lose their jobs due to failed drug tests. Though she acts as if no marijuana user has had a successful career and contributed to society, which is obviously bunk. The thought process regarding negative impacts of criminalization is way over her head. Though I'd be willing to bet that she wouldn't mind saying drug users of any kind rotting in a cell, no matter the negative effects of such on the user, their family, or society as a whole.

Doesn't her ideal drug-free world just sound utopian? :rolleyes:

20. shame to see people like her in positions of power, isn't she the head of the NIDA?

the best part of the article was the picture of Otto lmao