Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Rosin vs BHO vs QWISO

Discussion in 'Marijuana Stash Box' started by Its Brandon, Mar 21, 2015.

1. I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I've always been big into BHO and QWISO but have never tried the "rosin tech" can someone tell me how it equals up to the others in yeild, potency, flavor, etc.. Thanks :)

2. The main reason I like rosin so much is because it is so simple and quick to make

3. Taste -Rosin
    Looks - Rosin
    Yeilds-BHO..but rosin isn't far behind
    Price-BHO( unless you have access to lots of top shelf like lots )
    Safest to make - Rosin
    So rosin wins 3-2 against BHO and I honestly don't feel qwiso belongs against the contenders ..if so it would match with bho ... below the first pic says what's what 2nd pic is qwiso which would you rather have?

Attached Files:

4. I run my own BHO is why I was curious. I've tasted some nice qwiso but like you said BHO will mostly always win. I've never tried the Rosin Tech but looks like I need to!

5. #5 ajroxit, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2015
  6. I have my girls hair iron in the bathroom and herb in a jar. I may give it a try and if so I'll upload pictures tomorrow.

7. Depends on who's making it. I can see the appeal in Rosin due to it's simplicity, what appears to be a quality end product, and how safe it is to make (burning yourself as opposed to blowing up an apartment if you're stupid/careless). For me, Rosin just isn't an option. I get top shelf buds and I just can't see myself running them for what seems to be a 10-12% yield or worse. BHO isn't a whole lot better (15-20% on average), but the guy who runs the oil I pickup preserves the terpenes extremely well, so I'm more than happy getting BHO and saving my flowers. I did run some of my own flowers this time, but only because I knew what I'd be getting back and normally I just pickup what he's already processed. Lower quality flower local to me costs more than what I get from my provider, so Rosin just makes no sense to me in my opinion. If it makes sense to you, do it...especially if you don't have a consistent BHO option. We all have opinions, so just test out the different methods and form your own (not directed at anyone in particular, but a generic comment).

8. [SIZE=medium]This is my first time hearing about the rosin technique, I'm intrigued. I did a little bit of research on it. Not much information on how the two compare but there are people who have mixed feelings upon it. I think it ultimately comes down to the quality of the bud; as well as how well one performs the extraction on both BHO and Rosin. For example, the terpenes can be burnt away using both techniques; thus reducing the quality of the flavor. I think as long as your rosin technique is on point, the end result will be phenomenal.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] Logically speaking, I think that Rosin would be a lot safer to inhale than BHO for obvious reasons. I think it's pretty cool that you can just extract the wax in its purest form just by simply heating up the bud. Also, its been noted that Rosin is just as potent as BHO; so far rosin takes my vote, but there's only one way to find out... [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I have a half ounce of sour on the way. I own an amazing 1.5 Inch Ceramic Sedu Revolution Tourmaline flat Iron. All I need is some parchment paper. Once the extraction is done I'll try it out and report back. Just make sure not to overheat the bud or the flavor will suck. I need to do more research on what would be the perfect temperature to heat the bud. I'm going by the instructions of the video in the link below. The guy talks too damn much but I got a pretty good understanding on how to perform the extraction.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]http://vaporblog.org/blog/guides/the-rosin-technique-a-simple-solvent-less-extraction-method-to-create-dabs/[/SIZE]

9. Takes some playing around with and doesn't work with all material.  Break the buds up into like .15g pieces for most efficiency.   And that is the video most people have been working from.  Last weeks Hash Church (can be found on you tube) was all about Rosin.  @Soilgrown who brought us the bud tech showed us his tech.  Maybe check it out.  Hash Church XXV I believe.

10. [SIZE=medium]You're right, the rosin method definitely does not work with all material. I tried it out yesterday and my results were very disappointing. I ended up with 2 flat buds and very little oil, close to nothing; if I could even call it that. Perhaps the bud needs to be cured for maximum results? Nonetheless I ended up using the rest of my sour to make BHO; which gave me a good yield, as usual. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I wanted this to work so bad but I guess I'm back to running BHO until I find some weed that could yield some good results. Hopefully the technique works well for OP. [/SIZE]

11. I wouldn't say rosin wins on looks just becausr you placed some nice rosin next to some not as nice bho. But all have their own ups and downs. I prefer bho because I am trying to get the best possible yield with best possible quality. Going to start trying to make full melt as soon as I have this bho thing 100% down

12. Use .2 to .5 buds smashed tight and put in the freezer for a at least an hour. Press as hard as u can with the bud in parchment paper of course. Stop pressing after about 5 to 7 seconds. Or Lil after u hear it sizzling. If u have lots of bud or shitty hash this is a good way to all organic about it. I used top shelf bud from here in wa state and find my vac purged shatter looks and tastes better than the rosin from the same buds. for simple at home diy dabs this is a great tech. For a anything on a real scale even just a half oz I would go with bho Made the right way with Newport and vac purged until shatter stable. Imo ............. save the terpes!

13. bho

rosin frustrated me too much trying to get a dab lol. some strains did okay, but im pretty sure i would have gotten more blasting.

14. Just a quick update to this thread here we are in November my first post to this question was back in March I can now safely say Rosin would sweep bho in the categories I named in my previous post I've gotten to where I average 20% and every so often get the 25% and up with yeilds like that I could care less to ever dab another solvent extracted oil tho I'm not against BHO or any other solvent used to make errl I am fully aboard the Rosin train and it's about to leave the station in another year I think the whole country (atleast legal and med states) will be in the same mind set I am..

15. Do you use a rosin press for getting that 20- 25% yield? I went back to bho until I get a proper press because my yields were usually alot less

16. #16 SuperBuenCogollos16, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2015
    Is it hard to get hash in the western/medical/legal states in the US at the moment? I'm from the States as well, but I live in Europe at the moment. Haven't been back for close to 3 years, so I don't know how it is getting hash like pressed kief or bubble, or how cheap it would be. I ask because, I know some good bubble would press amazing stuff, with a great yield to boot. I tried to press some lower grade "ice-o-lator" (Amsterdam parlance for Bubble Hash), last nigh. It was the unpressed, kind and it didn't yield shit, worse than bad bud for rosin, type yield. But I think some higher quality, pressed bubble hash would result in a most generous return, and potent end-product.

17. Nope I'm using a flat iron with 200 lbs of pressure and super heady nugs Skywalker OG is a exsample of a strain I never get under 20% with

18. I probably need more meat on my bones to press harder haha

• Like Like x 1
  19. #19 pqppqpqq, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
    Speaking of which, I just wrote up a tutorial recently for a DIY 2000+ pound rosin press that costs under $120 to build. It uses a mechanical press and metal plates heated using disassembled hair straighteners. I have been seeing consistent 20-25% yields with decent weed. I have not yet tried pressing absolute top shelf so I'm sure the yield would be a bit better. I'm just pretty much flooded in B grade bud at the moment so I haven't gotten any fire lately.

But here's an idea of what I've made using it: [​IMG]

Anyway, check it out: https://www.reddit.com/r/CannabisExtracts/comments...
    I know it's an external website, but the formatting is different here and I'm too lazy to type it up again.