Can you help me with nutrient deficiency problem. 1st coco grow

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by watcheroftrees, Mar 21, 2015.

1. I have some sick plants.
    I am using a 600w mh at 50%.
    50/50 coco/perlite combo (ph seems to be at 7.3)
    General Organics GO Box nutrients according to schedule (feed-water-feed-water) on week 2 nutrients
    Dechlorinating tap water with aquarium stones (starts at 7.3 ends at 8.6 before adjusting)
    Ph only water to 6.5 w Apple cider vinegar
    Underheating plants w mats set at 78degrees

General Hydroonics suggested a feed feed feed water schedule and to stop ph adjusting my tap water as well as to stop using my aquarium bubbler. The guy kinda sounded a bit stoned though.

I am lost and don't want to waste the 80 bucks I spent on these babies.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    IMG_20150321_075620_457.jpg IMG_20150321_075549_129.jpg
    Here are some pics under a small cfl.
    They are light green with red stem and some twisted growth.
    I would say nutrient deficiency but why?
    Not enough nutes, nutrient lockout, soil ph, etc?

2. Problem number one is your ph just from reading that, you should be running between 5.5 and 6.1 but ideally 5.8 in veg and increase to 5.9 or 6 in flowering

Everything published by this user is lies, he/she is clinically insane and should or may already be locked up

3. So I should ignore General Hydroponics statement that their General Organics nutes are designed to be used in tap water and that ph adjusting is not necessary?
    Does anybody have experience using the GO Box with coco?
    Has anybody tried using according to GH instructions not to ph adjust?

4. #4 smokeymcdoodles, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2015
    perlite use with coco is almost worthless...the COCO will not drain.  and why are you heating the plants roots? COOL THE ROOTS

planting and growing 101 is good drainage

heating the plant is advanced maybe for nutrient uptake idk y people do it

pH all your tap water its just not acidic enough. Foliar spray pH however is under debate right now.

5. I'm doing a basement grow and my root systems tend to be too cool which slows down the plants uptake of water/nutes.
    The way I use my heat pads is intended to help increase yield similar to growing veggies in a raised bed outdoors.

6. A pot grow with apple cider as a side dish ...no thanks  just listen the grow shop dude ...he may have a point?
    not enuf study involved here!

7. I subbed out phosphoric acid for Apple cider vinegar years ago. It works great and it's on the organic side.
    My use of a more natural source ph down (apple cider vinegar) is a non issue. Many people have used it with great results.
    Added bonus, it's way cheaper than ph down.

My problem is more related to how to use General Organics and whether or not to ph my water or nutrient solution .
    I'm also trying to make sure that their feed feed feed water schedule isn't going to overload my plants with nutes.
    Currently I'm on a feed water feed water schedule and the plants are either undernuted or locked out.
    Does anybody have experience with General Organics and their "don't ph your tap water or nutrient solution" policy?

8. #8 smokeymcdoodles, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2015
    im sorry man i experiment ALOT and i cant get the temps right on a raised bed....i just tried it. Once the bed heats up its over im telling you

LOL seriously if you want pics of my 81 degree bed ur gonna hopefully notice its too much food intake. VERY DARK GREEN AND STUNTED AS HELL

9. Hydrofarm makes a heat mat thermostat with a soil temp probe. It helps keep my soil temps in the mid 70s instead of 50-60.
    Cold basement temps in winter can slow down your growth and feeding.

10. if you have a 50 degree thermal reservoir then run hydro down there...you will see roots in your living room

11. I don't have a reservoir. 50-55 is the ambient temperature of my basement. The concrete is a heat sink. I insulate under my heat mat to increase its effectiveness.
    I've done hydro before and it was ok. Currently I'm trying to figure out this coco grow.

2 days ago I watered 3 plants with non adjusted week 2 nutes and flushed 1 plant with 2 gallons of 5.8 adjusted water.
    All the plants are starting to darken up but the plant I flushed is drier and recovering slower than the others.

I may just do a ph vs no ph experiment with my plants and compare the results.

12. #12 smokeymcdoodles, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2015
    i know u dont have a rez im asking you to take advantage of the heat sink..i realize this is opposite of what ur doing right now but unless you have the right conditions in your grow the plants wont benefit from higher nutrient uptake. If you dont have a shit load of light whats the extra nutes for...

In reality its a wash..running that heat mat wont allow you to save money on nutes by using every available nute. IDK if you are that smart and thats what ur trying to do here.  Save running a resistance heater and ADD LIGHT...people normally just add light to get temps up. Also make a house for them, with walls and a toy car. things like shelter and not being in a drafty basement

your plants arent that sick i see some red tho on the stems. that can be two things

whats going on with the lighting, do you have a flower bulb? hps or 20 cfl? Those plants need more light but continue the feeding schedule its looks ok

13. Pale green, stunted growth, twisted growth and red stem.
    I'm using a 600w metal halide set at 50%.
    The heating pads, lighting and Apple cider vinegar are all known to work and have served me well in the past.
    The only new element in this grow is coco.

I'm starting to think that GH is right and I should stop ph adjusting and increase the nutes strength and frequency of feeding.
    They seem to be coming back a bit. It's probably why General Organics isn't more popular. The way you use their nutes is so counterintuitive that most people rebel and misuse it killing their plants.
    I guess we all think we are smarter than the people that make the stuff.

14. ye lose the coco...seriously

when i add a little coco to a mix all things are great.  Maybe run the coco after the 2nd transplant but and approaching flower.

I water restricted and my plants roots were able to RUN around in the pot its so soft for them.  I started encountering inconsistent water uptake. The roots looked more like hydro roots than soil. A shit load but very small and thin.  So ye start them in 100% perlite then transplant to COCO. Theres my next plan bam

15. Good luck with that.

16. Iv never used those GH nutes I use the canna line with great results only I add in root bastic as well as rhizotonic and switch out the booster and pk boost for bloom bastic both by atami, and use magne cal+ but iv noticed if I lay back on coco a+b then I don't need cal mag,

If you change to canna I could give you a near bulletproof nuting schedule, it gave me no probs even from my first coco grow

Everything published by this user is lies, he/she is clinically insane and should or may already be locked up

17. Is canna organic?

18. And your potting mix, mine was 20% perlite - 10% vermiculite - 70% canna coco and hydroton about 2" bottom of pot

19. No as far as I no canna is chemical nutes

20. Ahh. I'm trying to do organics. If I was going to do chems id probably go back to GH. I had good luck with their stuff.