Evangelism hate

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by cheeto_soda, Mar 20, 2015.

1. A lot of people hate Christians for trying to spread the word, and can get really pissed off about it. But why? I'm not even Christian, but if you knew what the religion was about, you would know that according to their beliefs they're just trying to do the right thing and save you from an eternity in hell. If anything it's a little flattering. Any ideas on why people can get so butthurt about this stuff?

2. I think it's because it's an imposition of someone's belief on someone else. Many people have no issue with people practicing their chosen religion, however feel it becomes a problem when the religious person tries to push their beliefs upon another.
    I personally don't really like getting Jehovah's witnesses etc at my door, because I feel as they are imposing on my beliefs. I personally do not believe in religion, and feel I have read up enough on each one to make an informed choice to not be religious. I wouldn't go door to door imposing atheistic beliefs on people (and I doubt many atheists would) as I feel a persons beliefs should be more private.

3. #3 MDFinest, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
    My personal take is lead by example and let your light shine. If Christians spent more time truthfully working on self and becoming who they're to be as the Bible lays it out then people would gravitate towards them. Half the time when they go out preaching they don't know who they're talking to.. they could be speaking to ppl who are way deeper in the faith than they r. To me it's like throwing darts in the dark.

4. #4 iAmBetty, Mar 20, 2015
    Because they're often very persistent which gets incredibly annoying if you're not interested in being "saved."

I haven't met many evangelists who weren't at least a little nutty, either. It's pretty hard not to laugh sometimes, or get annoyed when they try to organize and  increase their influence.

5. Because it is annoying? If I wanted to hear about someone's faith.. I'd ask them. Just like your personal opinion, you keep that and when I want to hear it, I'll ask.

6. It's not just Christians that evangelize. Muslims and Atheists do it too among others. I don't care what you believe, but I don't want to hear about it and why you believe it.

7. Muslims and atheists do not go around trying to convert people to christianity...that's what evanglism means, converting people to christianity...

Technically yes, it specifically means to convert to the gospel. The other religions (and yeah I'm calling Atheism a religion) do the same thing for their way of thinking. If it makes you happy I'll change my statement to:

It's not just Christians that proselytize. Muslims and Atheists do it too among others. I don't care what you believe, but I don't want to hear about it and why you believe it.

9. Because that's a human thing, not tied to just religion...ever had someone tell you about their fav. Food or movie or song and when you don't like it their just baffled like "how could you not like that?"...

Humans try to presuade other humans because we're social creatures...

10. #10 Sneaky Snake, Mar 20, 2015

It's a human thing to talk about your likes, I agree. I think there's a difference though. Me and you are sitting around eating tacos. You love the tacos and they're the best tacos ever. You tell me that. I say they're okay. That's human and normal. Proselytizing would be you continuing to go off about the tacos and attempting to get me to believe and agree with you that these are the best tacos ever.

11. Vegans and vegetarians are better examples...

Also animal rights groups like PETA and A.L.F. are good examples too of non religious pandering to people and downright berating people that don't believe the same as you...

12. I guess it'd be easier to say that human nature is to try and presuade others...but humans in groups (religious or not) do it at a higher and stronger level to try and convince others to join them

Yeah, totally. Some people are happy letting people believe whatever they want, but I think some people have an overwhelming need to make everyone have their same beliefs. I think for most of the latter people it's selfish more than altruistic.

14. #14 -13 Amp-, Mar 20, 2015
    That's a good point about it being more selfish I def. Agree...that feeling of being right...

and speaking of...you're so wrong, those tacos fuckin' rock...

*edit* I also think some people hold some beliefs just to be apart of a group, the sense of belonging...some people want to be "saved"

The tacos were okay, I've had better. But, I've also had worse.

I agree, people will believe things just to belong and not even realize they believe it for that reason. Anyone who says "I'm xxxxx religion" because that's what they grew up with would fall under that, I think. It's like so many people in the US identify themselves as christian but you ask them when they went to church last or read the bible and their answer is in years. So, obviously those aren't actual beliefs, but they will defend them as if they are. They're really defending a perceived attack against their tribe than anything else, I think.

16. #16 TesseLated, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2015
    Idk, but listening to preaching makes me sick.

17. You do have a point. Can't get angry at ppl for exercising their right to free speech.

Jehova's witnesses have handed me pamphlets three times while I'm at work. Never became upset. Just said thanks.

However I do find it disrespectful. They don't know what faith I have, and now they're trying to persuade me to leave my God and join their cult.

If I wasn't an atheist I may have thrown a hissy fit.

However if it happens again I'm not gonna take it. Just no; "you're being rude, please keep your faith to yourself".

Oh and everytime it was the same goddamn pamphlet - "Why do bad things happen to good people".
    Per usual the author completely digresses and never answers the question he/she asked.

18. #18 -13 Amp-, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2015
    When I worked at Aaron's I was out putting flyers on doors and I ran across some wittnesses...

They handed me their pamphlet and I handed them a flyer and said "10% off payment and no credit checks" and walked back to the truck...

I hope I made a difference in their life...lol

Edit* my first job ever was Auto Bell car wash and I got more christian flyers and pamphlets than anything else non tip wise...they would even leave stacks of em in the lobby (and id throw them away, it wasn't allowed and I was being an asshole)

19. Speaking as US citizen, one living in the bible belt at that, it's ridiculous for anyone to believe I've never 'heard the good word'. If I was living in a remote village in Asia, sure. But here? Please, we've all heard it before. If we wanted to hear it again, we'd go to church.

Also, many people sharing their religious beliefs unsolicited don't seem to have the best intentions. Even some who do can come off a lot more condescending than they likely realize. And nobody likes being belittled to their face.

20. Because sometimes they won't take the hint that,
    "No, I really don't want to talk about our Lord
    Jesus Christ."

If I want to hear about a religion, I'll go to
    church.

The worst ones are the people with that
    glazed look in their eyes, who are obviously
    experiencing the Rapture as they speak.

Keep your religion in church, where it
    belongs.