Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anyone here have Oculuar Migraines or auras before migraines?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by StayLitClub, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Hello, a couple years ago I was told by my eye doctor that I had ocular migraines. What happens to me is I'll start seeing little floaters that get bigger and bigger, to the point I can barely see. This'll last about 20-30 minutes and then I'll get the worst headache that doesn't go away until I puke and then I'll be out of it the rest of the day. I don't know what causes it. Predictions are either eye strain or dehydration. They don't occur too often so it doesn't really affect everyday life except that I refuse to drive in case it happens on the road. 

I've been prescribed pain meds but I don't like how they make me feel so I stopped taking them. Smoking is difficult when I have a migraine but edibles work AMAZING. Usually when I have a migraine, I can't stomach anything for the next couple of days. I have no desire to eat and I feel extremely week. But when I take an edible, I'm way less nauseous and eating is easier. 

Anyone else have this condition? What do you think causes them for you? Anything you found helpful that makes it easier to deal with?

2.  I started having migraine auras when I was in my late 20's. Mine are pretty similar to what you're describing, only I usually wouldn't have pain afterward. Instead I'd have this weird "washed out feeling". When I did get an actual headache after the aura it was horrible, but thankfully that was a rare occurence. The auras themselves though were the same thing as what you describe. The light show usually lasts about 20-30 minutes, and during that time you're basically blind. They're scary. When they first started happening, I got checked out (CT scan, etc)....Nothing. They're hereditary.

3. #3 Monkey55, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
    Hey,

I think I experience migraines similar to you. I think the biggest difference is that I don't vomit. I've been pretty close though.

Here are a few examples of what I experience:
    Everything could be going smoothly and I feel great. Then, either the direct sunlight or a reflection of it hits my eye just right and it feels like a thick knife is protruding from the sun, piercing my eye, landing in my brain in a direct line of the light rays. It has buckled me over before. When that happens, the only thing that can be done is to lay down in a dark room with absolutely no sound. Sometimes I lay down for hours. After that, I'm very drained. (My head still hurts and almost any light or loud noise can trigger it again.) I usually have to say indoors for a few days and wear sunglasses inside.

Even though I've only had little migraines over the last few weeks, I had to wear my sunglasses inside the house over the last few days.

After the light hits my eye(s), I usually see ghost images of the shape of the light, when I saw it.

For me, this started within the last few years because I started experiencing autoimmune issues. They know that some autoimmune issues can cause nerve problems and pain. So, I think it's all interrelated.

I really don't have any solutions because once the sunlight triggers a migraine for me, all I can do get in a dark quiet room and ride it out. I have black out shades in my bedroom; it gets pretty dark. Sometimes I close my windows & door and still need to put sunglasses on. It's funny because I can see just even though it's that dark. If I'm fortunate enough to have a bowl ready, I'll vape. That helps, sometimes.

Hang in there. From talking with other people, it seems like it really doesn't go away. It's very unpredictable for me. It could happen a couple times a week or once every other month.

E

4. Interesting. Usually, if i chug enough water and sit in a dark room, I can avoid the headache. About 75% I get a headache after the auras.

5. I have auras and migraines, as well as cluster headaches, occipital neuralgia, and trygeminal neuralgia. My auras always precede the headache but I don't always get them. Sometimes I see the auras and don't get the migraine, but that's usually when I'm already medicated. If I can get ahead of it, vaporizing and/or edibles usually help at least reduce the severity of it enough so I can function a little. Tincture will even help somewhat after the fact. I also rub topicals on my face, temples, neck, etc. I get nauseous, but have never thrown up after I vaporize. I've never been completely blinded by an aura, but they really fill my vision at times. The pain is the blinding part.
    Cluster headaches are another animal altogether. Mmj helps a bit, but not as well as with migraines. I have to get super stoned to finally get any relief from them. Incoherent. Nothing else even touches it.
    Overall I get the most immediate and effective relief from alcohol tincture, absorbed sublingually. Next I use tincture again, mixed with emu oil, and apply that topically. Last, i vaporize myself stupid.
    Hope that helps.

6. It's nice to share and relate with others, who understand first hand what it's like.

I never knew what to call them. I would just say that they come in waves. (These are a different type of migraine than ocular.) When I feel these come on, WHAO NELLY... They will last for about two days, up to five.

Both types of migraines suck... any type for that matter...

Since I medicate all day everyday, the wave or cluster migraines have eased up considerably. The light ones can hit whether or not I'm medicated.

"Smoke Up Johnny!!"

E

7. I've had about 8 or 10 ocular migraines....mine present as a wavering faceted appearance on the edges of my vision. I've never had a headache or felt sick in any way.

The duration is only 5 or so minutes, and I have gone as long as a year between occurrences.....

8. OP, those sound like pretty classic migraines with aura.  I've had them since I was a young teen.  My kid has them.  When I start getting the aura, my husband and I have our "go" mode.  I've got about 10 minutes before I can't read something like my prescription bottle.  I've got 20-30 minutes until the headache, and 40-60 minutes before my cognition is impaired.  So he's got to come home from work, or I've got to get a neighbor, or I have to get one of the older kids to watch the little one.  As soon as I can, I use one of my migraine strains, take my migraine medication, and get into a dark room.  Then I just ride it out for hours or days.

I've had "intractable migraine" (aka, nothing's working, weeks or months on end) 4-5 times in my life.  Once was 6 months.  The last few times, it was mostly halted by an all-day infusion of like 6-8 medications, and then it just slowly petered off after that.

I take a preventative, a calcium channel blocker.  And daily medical marijuana use has decreased my migraines significantly.  I probably have less than half of how many I used to get.

9. I get the auras and then a migraine which usually causes my to throw up, it's one of the few pains that I can't handle at all. I just sent in my paperwork to AzDHS does anyone know if I can use a dispensary yet or do I need to get my card in the mail first?

10. That's exactly what I experience to, have never had pain, just that little weird jagged line of electricity slowly making its way across my vision then poof it's gone

11. I have a type of migraine that is similar to a cluster headache in that the pain is centered behind my eyes and temples. One of the differences is with a cluster headache closing your eyes intensifies the pain. With a migraine closed eyes in a dark room really help usually. Clusters are the opposite, although bright light really burns. Clusters are called suicide headaches, and for good reason. It's hard to resist banging my head against the wall for relief. I usually squeeze my head between my hands hard as I can, release, repeat. Oh, you'll know the difference if you have them. They do come in waves, or clusters. Hours, days, weeks, it varies.

12. ohhh, that sounds like something, like when you know you're about to get a migraine. I hate them :( cancel all plans, damp tea towel and have to lie in the dark for hours suuuccks

13. Wow, I looked up cluster headaches. Sorry you have to deal with that. Is there anything that helps at all or do you have to wait it out? And how long do they usually last?

14. Well, sorry to say when summer hits and the heat, humidity and dew point goes up, it can go on for months, in waves, all day, every day. Peaks last 60-90 minutes with a 30-60 minute "lull". All I can do is wake and bake, literally, and stay that way. Before MJ I was barfing my brains out. I stay inside with A/C blasting. My wife freezes, I sweat. I also have autonomic neuropathy, and that's why temperature extremes do this to me. My internal thermostat is broken. My eyes water, my nose runs, my head and face is on fire, and hurts like hell. Can't touch it without causing extreme pain, but sometimes thats the best solution, temporarily. That's beside the spear going through my head. I scream and cry, and beat my head at times. Lots of MMJ takes the pain level from a 10+ to a 7-8 range if I get ahead of it. If not, it helps from the next low spot in the cycle. Nothing doctors have given me have helped. Some drugs have triggered them. Light, smells, sounds can all trigger them. Someday they'll find an answer maybe.
    Thanks for your kind words StayLitClub!
    Peace be with you!

15. Edibles help me as well. I get a white haze it covers my entire I and does not away the entire day. My doctor says that I have ocular migraine's however I'm not 100% convinced of this

Edibles clear it up within minutes of it taking effect