What types of wood can I make a pipe out of?

Discussion in 'Smoking Pipes, Glass Spoon Pipes' started by dureel, Mar 19, 2015.

1. I'm looking to make a pipe by drilling out a chess piece, with the base being the bowl and the top being the mouthpiece. So I'm wondering, what type of wood can be used to make a pipe? I've heard that Briar is the best but couldn't find any Briar chess pieces on ebay.  I'm also wondering if I will need to treat the wood with anything after drilling.

2. #2 waldoe420, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015
    As for specific wood, i can't say with any degree of certainty, but oak, maple, etc. Hardwoods would be a good choice for sure. Do not treat the inside of the pipe(some people use honey, in which case go for it. but no paints, clearcoats etc). You can use a mineral oil/ beeswax mixture to treat the outside. And as always with wooden pieces, season the bowl. 

3. Cherry is a good alternative to briar for pipes.

4. I make some wood pipes. Hardwoods are best. Dont use pine. Remember that wood pipes will always taste like wood. So pick a wood that tastes good. Think along the lines of smoked meats and what kind of wood is used for that. Cherry, apple, oak, maple, hickory etc. I'd stay away from woods like maple, hickory and pecan. Unless you have some seriously sharp wood working tools. Those species are freaking hard. Like diamond hard. Season the bowl by smoking a few and never get the bowl too hot. Then clean the bowl with a scraper tool of your choice. After the bowl is cleaned sand it out with 220 grit sand paper. Repeat this process a few times. The bowl is seasoned by the oils from the buds impregnating the wood grain. The oils will protect the wood from burning. Finish the outside with a mineral oil rub then bees wax rub. A well made wood pipe will last for decades.