First Hydro Grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by MozeysBuds, Mar 18, 2015.

1. why would one dump and refill weekly? this is nothin but a waste of money

don't need to dump reservoir but one time[​IMG]

at harvest

thanks though, mister know it all for you 2 cents[​IMG]

2. ouch, lol. 
    Once the plant has some size, and you start a week, with fresh water/nutes at 1800 EC, by the end of the week, it will be under 1000.  so you have to add more.  You mean you just dump fresh nutes in once in a while without changing the water?  just want to make sure I understand you right.

3. I'll take it from the guy with 14k posts, lol

4. #44 TheAnswer121, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
    no plant ever needs 1800ppm, first of all

secondly, if your nutrient strength is dropping that much, it's because the balance is off and needs adjusting

my nutrient strength very rarely moves in between topoffs

so yes, when needed, i mix a gallon of nutes, ph to my desired number and add to the res

1. \t 
      \t
      \t 
      \tEC, not PPM    PPM is a mathematical deduction based off it's EC value, so I just got the EC pen instead.  PPM would be like 1300 I think?

5. good call, missed that bit

but yeah, that's even too high imo

as far as ppm's go, anything over 800 is unnecessary imo

6. With the reservoir though, you mean in a regular DWC, like a 3gal, its not worth changing the water?  I didn't invent the method myself or anything, that was prob the most common search result on google when I looked for how-to.  said to top it off with pure as the days went on, then 3 fresh gallons of PH'd, with fresh nutes once a week... 

how do you do it exactly?

7. #48 TheAnswer121, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
    i use 2-5 gallon buckets

i fill with tempered water, set to desired ppm and ph

once water level has gone down a significant amount, usually 2-5 days later (depending on stage of growth) i'll topoff as stated in previous post

beneficial bacteria actually builds up in the res and dumping every week actually halts plant growth as they get acclimated to the new medium

even towards harvest when it's time to flush i'll just add plain water at topoffs until ppm is next to nil

these reservoirs were only dumped once, early on i had some issues when getting my tent set up

but you can tell they are very pleased with their home. ppm 700, ph 5.9
    topped off 2 days ago, when pic was taken
    View attachment 1730864

8. I saw your EDIT  ..lol  But I see what you mean.  I guess similar to a fish tank, you don't neccesarily have to dump it once a week, but if possible, I'd still do it.  If it's the same water, same PH, and its starving for nutrients, it would have much acclimation to do. I think it would love a whole fresh res.  I get all my feeding numbers from the packages the nutes come in usually.  and what seems to be the most popular on line. 

If I had a big remote res, I would totally understand not dumping it.

Alright, I'm prob going to shut up and take a back seat to this grow journal now, lol.

9. i mean, they will still grow if you dump and refill (honestly, i did it my whole first grow a few years back, but not once since then)

like i said, your just literally throwing money down the drain

and, once you get in a groove; those nutes go real fast already

a quart of nutes can last 2-3 grows instead of maybe 1

10. Apollo tent? nice me too.

11. yea man

i'm all apollo'd out

got the 400 and 600 watt ballasts, bulbs, air cooled hood and tent

12. nice, I got the 400 and the 3ft x 20" x 5ft tent.  I was trying to talk the OP into HID earlier on, you can back me up, lol

13. light will damage your roots, this is why the res need to be light tight

just light hitting the water will create algae, and cause a various array of issues

just a ph and a ppm meter is all you need really

ensure you get some ph calibration solution as well[​IMG]

14. for testing equipment you need a ph meter and a ppm/ec meter

15. one of my concerns with the water changes, was about algae.  It seems to be waiting for me whenever I let it go to day 8, without a full change.  My res water might get a little warm some times though.

16. that'll do it

temperature sways will increase the risk of issues

gotta have a stable environment, took me a bit once i got the tent set up hence the dumping and refilling

but now, res temp sits at 68-70 with lamp on and drop only 5-6 degrees and night time

17. hmm that's interesting mozey, see, since you started in a towel, your taproot is exposed.  Mine tends to go south into the wool the second it's out, so not much light will hit it.

18. this is why i pop my seeds straight into the hydroton

from the time they crack to harvest they never leave the net pot

19. It was a little better when I had my cool tube hooked up, but all the extra bulk and ducting got in my way, couldn't stand the noise of the centrifugal, and the cold season was here, so I went back to gull wing, lol.  but now the res heats up a little to much.